Unarmed black 17 year old shot by Neighborhood watch captain in gated community...

Page 148 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
This story is crazy.

So the shooter wanted to be cop but he had a restraining order...
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/21/1076361/-Arresting-George-Zimmerman-not-enough

Then he called 911 46 times already this year?

Then the police covering this up by changing eye witness testimony?
http://abcnews.go.com/US/neighborho...s-questionable/story?id=15907136#.T2o3xBEgd8H

Then you have the guy cursing on the 911 tape?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/21/trayvon-martin-911-tape-racial-slur_n_1368905.html

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
In other words - all these stories in people's heads and encouraged by the media have no basis in the facts or evidence. Zimmerman was attacked, evidence and testimony support this.

LMAO, you have to be a racist idiot to believe the police at this point. They don't even put in a question/answer about why they coerced witnesses into changing their testimonies in their little 'FAQ'.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
If someone is holding a knife and threatening me and I fear for my life I can shoot him.

If someone is holding a gun and threatening me and I fear for my life am I allowed to beat him into a bloody pulp (i.e. kill him with fists)?

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
It's still beyond bizarre to me that they are only using pics of this kid from when he was 10 years old.

Now I am hearing that Trayvon was 6'2"? Can we stop calling this guy a child? The 140 pound number that is being thrown around is probably about as accurate as the 5 year old pictures they are showing.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The idea that a scared, lost, 140 lb. boy would attack a 250 lb. man from behind is so asinine I don't even know where to begin.
How about the idea that an adrenaline charged, 6'-3" 17 year old football player being stalked by a lard ass would attack him from behind? That seems more reasonable. If the kid was trapped, or felt trapped (someone said there were no obstructions to keep him from fleeing) and especially if he saw the gun, he might well see his best shot as hitting the guy from behind, taking him down and either taking the gun, or running.

If I had to guess I'd put my money on Martin running away, getting tired of running (he'd done nothing wrong, why should he run?), confronted Zimmerman, Zimmerman grabs his arm to detain him, Martin starts whaling on Zimmerman, Zimmerman goes down with Martin on top (skinning the back of his head) and begins screaming, Zimmerman manages to pull his gun, Martin gets up, Zimmerman stops screaming, Zimmerman plugs him. Or Martin gets up, Zimmerman stops screaming, Zimmerman manages to pull his gun, Zimmerman plugs him.

But all that is complete conjecture, worth exactly what it cost you. We don't really know at this time what exactly went down. All we really know is that Martin is dead. And that it didn't have to happen.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Now I am hearing that Trayvon was 6'2"? Can we stop calling this guy a child? The 140 pound number that is being thrown around is probably about as accurate as the 5 year old pictures they are showing.

There's been no height given out for Trayvon that I'm aware of, only that Zimmerman out-weighed him by 100lbs.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
There's been no height given out for Trayvon that I'm aware of, only that Zimmerman out-weighed him by 100lbs.

yeah i haven't seen a report on his height just his weight. if he is 6'3 and 140 lbs thats fucking skinny as fuck.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Maybe the kid is alive and well and this was all an elaborate Guerrilla Marketing effort by Skittles.
I do kind of want some skittles and I never normally eat skittles.

/as long as we're speculating.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

Well after a Google search I'm seeing a lot of mention of Trayvon being 6'3". Hardly the small child he's being made out to be.

If the height is accurate, the 140 lb weight is very dubious.

Feb 10, 2000
Well after a Google search I'm seeing a lot of mention of Trayvon being 6'3". Hardly the small child he's being made out to be.

You are, however, pulling that opinion of thin air. Presumably his body will have been weighed and we will know his weight soon enough if it is not 140 pounds (it's possible, in fact, that the medical examiner provided this weight). I will say that I was 6'4" and 170 for much of my adult life (not now, unfortunately), and a close friend in college was 6'3", with an athletic build, and weighed 155. 6'3" and 140 is not out of the question, though he would certainly have been very thin at that weight.

I don't think anyone is making Mr. Martin out to be a "small child." Your accusatory tone here just reinforces the perception that you have a strong bias about this case.

Sep 7, 2009
6'3 is not a little kid like we're seeing in these pictures.

Also while skinny, no way was he 140lbs.

His family not releasing current pics and only releasing misleading info about this man (no longer a kid..) makes me suspect he's not the goody-two-shoes that some are making him out to be.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

Any that link to an official report or news site?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

His family not releasing current pics and only releasing misleading info about this man (no longer a kid..) makes me suspect he's not the goody-two-shoes that some are making him out to be.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there a picture some pages back that is current (from the funeral invitation) and he doesn't look anywhere near 6'3" nor very heavy. The police reported to the news that Zimmerman out weighed him by 100lbs.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Doesn't really matter, as he was doing nothing at the time that justified his treatment.

If the kid was a crackhead responsible for every robbery in the surrounding area and every word Zimmerman uttered was true, it's still a tragic situation. He was merely walking home at the time.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Maybe the kid is alive and well and this was all an elaborate Guerrilla Marketing effort by Skittles.
I do kind of want some skittles and I never normally eat skittles.

/as long as we're speculating.

Laughable speculation.

It's far more likely that the piece Zimmerman was carrying was one of these.

reverse-pistol-2-1024-1.jpg

And Trayvon while beating the shit out of George, noticed the gun, removed it from George's holster, made George beg for his life (witness have said they heard what amounted to begging/pleading). Pulled the trigger and shot himself dead.

Zimmerman most likely instigated the fight and allowed himself to be disarmed on purpose. Fucking troll.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I have a few tall bean pole high school kids who go to my gym.
6'3 140lbs for a high school kid is not unusual.
I know the expectation in many states that all must be porky but skinny people do exist in this country.

Sep 7, 2009
Doesn't really matter, as he was doing nothing at the time that justified his treatment.

If the kid was a crackhead responsible for every robbery in the surrounding area and every word Zimmerman uttered was true, it's still a tragic situation. He was merely walking home at the time.

Considering we are all speculating as to what happened, I disagree with your statement.

That neighborhood had multiple break-ins. Before confronting the kid (man) zimmerman was suspicious enough to call the cops. It's not like he randomly just tried to hold him hostage, he did what he could to get the police there.

The fact that the family is going to such amazing lengths to paint a portrait of a saint 10 year old boy who is now turning out to be a 6'3 man puts things in a different light for me. When this story first broke I was on the "kid's side". Now that it's coming out that the family and lawyers are trying to lead people in a certain direction indicates they don't want the real portrait painted.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

He was 140. the police examiner said it. his weight is not in doubt. how tall he is though is different.

HIS FAMILY HAS RELEASED CURRENT PICS. the media on the other hand keep using the ones from a few years ago.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
The teen started to run, Zimmerman reported. When he said he was following, the dispatcher told him, "We don't need you to do that."
Minutes later, someone who lives near the scene of the shooting called 911 to report an altercation. In the background, someone can be heard screaming for help, but the caller said she was too afraid to go outside and see what was going on.
"It's heart-wrenching, because those actually were my son's last words," said Trayvon's father. "And to hear his last words being cries of help, is devastating. It tears me apart as a father."
The state attorney's office also said a voice analysis would be conducted on 911 calls from the night of the shooting to determine who was yelling for help.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/20/justice/florida-teen-shooting/?hpt=ju_bn1

I hope this reveals the truth. I highly doubt the 25 year old who had a gun and 100lbs was screaming for help, sounds like BS. This eye witness doesn't sound very reliable either, he wasn't sure what he saw from his backdoor and he ran inside and never saw the shooting.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Considering we are all speculating as to what happened, I disagree with your statement.

That neighborhood had multiple break-ins. Before confronting the kid (man) zimmerman was suspicious enough to call the cops. It's not like he randomly just tried to hold him hostage, he did what he could to get the police there.

The fact that the family is going to such amazing lengths to paint a portrait of a saint 10 year old boy who is now turning out to be a 6'3 man puts things in a different light for me. When this story first broke I was on the "kid's side". Now that it's coming out that the family and lawyers are trying to lead people in a certain direction indicates they don't want the real portrait painted.

Unless you're suggesting Martin was up to something illegal when Zimmerman was watching him, werepossum is correct.

If that is what you're suggesting, I have to ask why you'd think that.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
"Wounds to zimmerman" is not *evidence* that T assaulted him. "Zimmerman testimony" is not *evidence* that T assaulted him. "Eye witness who saw it testimony" is not *evidence* that T assaulted him (and the only eye witness who has even come close to insinuating as such said that T was on top of Z...which means nothing as far as who assaulted whom goes). Aaaand, I'm not even sure what you mean by "physical evidence"...again, do you know something we don't?
-snip-

Seems to me all those would be considered evidence.

Perhaps not conclusive proof, but all are evidence.

(I've never heard or seen of anyone claiming eyewitness testimony is not evidence.)

Fern

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
He was 140. the police examiner said it. his weight is not in doubt. how tall he is though is different.

HIS FAMILY HAS RELEASED CURRENT PICS. the media on the other hand keep using the ones from a few years ago.

Let's see the current pics that the family released. Also a link where the police state his weight?