Unarmed black 17 year old shot by Neighborhood watch captain in gated community...

Page 140 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
and that helps what? it does not help or hurt either as it added no information.

As you can see in the below quote they acknowledge racial profiling. Having crimes in the area doesn't excuse him from wrong doing.

Frank Taaffe pointed out the circumstances that he believes led his 28-year-old neighbor to react the way he did on the night of Feb. 26: Eight burglaries within 15 months, most done by young black males, he said.

He didn't even own a house in that area... not sure who he was living with, but it's not his.

How all the people in this thread support the shooter just shows how dense they are. These are the same people that always try to take the moral highground and pretend they're in the right, and yet they support such extreme unwarranted actions like in this case.

Wonder if these people also thing the guy who went on a rampage in afghanistan was in the right too?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I see no evidence that Zimmerman started the fight, but Alkemyst's post of 9-1-1 transcripts apparently pokes a hole in one part of his story. If I understand it correct, Zimmerman claimed that Martin attacked him from behind while he was walking back to his truck after getting out to see what street he was on. Yet at least a couple calls indicated that the fight was "behind my house". I'd have to see the area on a map to be sure, but "behind my house" doesn't seem like where one would be after getting out of the truck to check a street sign. (I admit it is still possible; sometimes houses back not to other houses, but to a road, where there isn't enough room between roads for two rows of houses. But it doesn't seem likely.) It seems much more likely that Zimmerman chased Martin in his truck, then when the kid cut between houses pursued him on foot. At that point a physical fight started. I'd guess that Martin got tired of running and started it, but we don't actually no that; he might have run into a fenced area with no escape, at which point Zimmerman grabbed him to detain him for the police. We really have no way to tell at this point. I can easily come up with plausible theories either way as to who initiated a physical confrontation, and the fact that an athletic but skinny 6'-8" 17 year old got the best of an overweight man a decade his senior isn't necessarily evidence that the kid started it.

For that matter, it's entirely possible that Martin beat him down, then got up, thinking the fight over, at which point Zimmerman was free to pull his gun and shoot Martin. We simply don't know. We may never know.

The only thing we know for sure is that an innocent 17 year old kid is dead from a confrontation that never should have happened. No matter how the actual thing went down, that is incontrovertible.

All we can know is a valid member of the neighborhood watch would have answered "What yo following me for?" with "Neighborhood watch. What are you doing here?"

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
As you can see in the below quote they acknowledge racial profiling. Having crimes in the area doesn't excuse him from wrong doing.

He didn't even own a house in that area... not sure who he was living with, but it's not his.

How all the people in this thread support the shooter just shows how dense they are. These are the same people that always try to take the moral highground and pretend they're in the right, and yet they support such extreme unwarranted actions like in this case.

Wonder if these people also thing the guy who went on a rampage in afghanistan was in the right too?

wait. Z didn't live in the community?

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
The guy who 'defended him' says he was a hothead with a weapon and 'couldn't take it anymore'. That's not really an ordinary guy who just fucked up, that's someone who shouldn't have a fucking gun in the first place.

I agree he shouldn't have had a gun, but how many gun owners do you know who are also hot heads? I'm sure there are plenty of ordinary hot-heads in this world.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I do hope and believe he will be civilly sued into the ground, however.

If this is correct on the Florida Supreme Court stance on immunity it will never happen.

http://madmikesamerica.com/2012/03/why-trayvon-martins-killer-hasnt-been-arrested/

It’s another to have what the Florida Supreme Court calls “true immunity.” True immunity, the court said, means a trial judge can dismiss a prosecution, based on a Stand Your Ground assertion, before trial begins.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I agree he shouldn't have had a gun, but how many gun owners do you know who are also hot heads? I'm sure there are plenty of ordinary hot-heads in this world.

Well, i'm not going to get into the whole 2nd amendment thing, but in this very case, his neighbor did Zimmerman no favors with his 'defense' of him; his emotional state makes him sound like a murderer to me, that's really the takeaway i got from the article.

It doesn't sound like he was a calm/rational individual who just happened to make one bad decision that escalated into a tragedy.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Well, i'm not going to get into the whole 2nd amendment thing, but in this very case, his neighbor did Zimmerman no favors with his 'defense' of him; his emotional state makes him sound like a murderer to me, that's really the takeaway i got from the article.

It doesn't sound like he was a calm/rational individual who just happened to make one bad decision that escalated into a tragedy.

Im not defending him, I'm trying to understand the circumstances. either way, dude should be locked up. the way i see it, all gun owners are potential zimmermans.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
There's no evidence in this case that shows who started the fight. What is known and verified by an eye witness is that Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman beating him just prior to the gun shot.

Don't you mean the eye witness to them on the ground separately just before the gun shot? Confussing your facts with the facts?

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
What I don't understand is if Zimmerman claims he was was savagely beaten, why is there nothing about him being taken to the hospital? Or anything about his wounds?

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Which is why most are questioning your reasoning on the subject. Those 2 tidbits are pretty obvious from his 911 call.

summary.

1. 911 call not profiling because a) he was suspicious of movement patterns b) unsure of subject's race until a third through the call and c) high percentage of black residents mean that being black in and of itself is not out of place.

2. he follows trayvon which is not a criminal act in and of itself.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
but it all comes down to the PD's handling. Think about the logic. PD says that tapes prove it is not profiling. Then they release the tapes. People hear "he's black" and automatically think it is profiling. Is a PD really that stupid, or are people just picking up on the wrong thing?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
summary.

1. 911 call not profiling because a) he was suspicious of movement patterns b) unsure of subject's race until a third through the call and c) high percentage of black residents mean that being black in and of itself is not out of place.

2. he follows trayvon which is not a criminal act in and of itself.

People need to stop saying "chased him down" or chasing him. There is ZERO evidence of that happening. It's all part of the story they have made up in their head, fueled by the media/mob lynching.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
People need to stop saying "chased him down" or chasing him. There is ZERO evidence of that happening. It's all part of the story they have made up in their head, fueled by the media/mob lynching.

So he was shot next to the car?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
no evidence? except that Z says he is, and the kid was shot a few hundred feet from the car..right. no evidence LOL