Unarmed black 17 year old shot by Neighborhood watch captain in gated community...

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Look at the picture in that article and tell me he is any more than 12 yrs old in that picture. Sorry, but that is clearly pandering and it annoys me.

to be fair a 17 yr old at 140 lbs ain't much more then a normal 12 yr old hehe (saying that i was under 140 at 17 lol)

sure its pandering. its the media. duh

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Yeah, Martin is totally at fault. He should have told his brother, no, he wasn't going to the store to buy skittles for him.

Martin should have known there was an armed racist wannabe cop who wasn't going to let another asshole get away.

Are you believing he said 'these coons always get away' like many media spots are saying, it was assholes, not coons.

Also if his g/f is right, Martin's response to "what are you doing around here?" should have been "I LIVE HERE!" not "WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME?".

That latter reply is just hostile and a waste of breath.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Look at the picture in that article and tell me he is any more than 12 yrs old in that picture. Sorry, but that is clearly pandering and it annoys me.

I can see how that would annoy someone.

I doubt a current picture would show anything but a slightly older version of Trayvon Martin dressed in baggy clothes however...

What I have glad about is this text that is in the link provided by airdata...

Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law is getting new attention in the wake of the Trayvon Martin case.
The state passed the law in 2005 that stated "a person being attacked has no duty to retreat, they may return force with force, and are protected from criminal prosecution for using force through immunity," according to National Conference of State Legislatures.
Recently, several "stand your ground" or "shoot first" laws have emerged. At least 30 states explicitly state there is no duty to retreat, according to the organization.
State Rep. Dennis Baxley, who sponsored Florida's law, told the Associated Press it wasn't written to give people the power to pursue and confront others.
"That's not what this legislation does," Baxley said. "Unfortunately, every time there is an unfortunate incident involving a firearm, they think it's about this law, and it's not."
Fla. State Sen. Oscar Braynon, who represents Miami Gardens where Trayvon Martin lived with his mother, said he is calling for hearings or a select committee to take a fresh look at the law.
He said since the law was enacted the number of justified homicides in the state have skyrocketed. He said in 2005 the state had 43 cases of justified homicides. In 2009, the last complete year available, there were 105.
"I think there is vigilante justice happening and I think people are getting shot," he said. "This is an unintended consequence of the law."

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Are you believing he said 'these coons always get away' like many media spots are saying, it was assholes, not coons.

Also if his g/f is right, Martin's response to "what are you doing around here?" should have been "I LIVE HERE!" not "WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME?".

Yeap, Martin said the wrong word and he deserved to get shot.

Maybe you should give us a hand book on the exact response we should give to some self appointed neighborhood watch so we all don't get shot.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Did you not listen to the unedited 911 call? Zimmerman calls him a 'fucking my excellent compatriot'.

And Martin was being chased and more than likely grabbed to stop him by Zimmerman which caused the confrontation.

Why did Zimmerman not identify himself when Martin asked him 'why are you following me'?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I can see how that would annoy someone.

I doubt a current picture would show anything but a slightly older version of Trayvon Martin dressed in baggy clothes however...

What I have glad about is this text that is in the link provided by airdata...

at least something good would come out of this. they really need to change the law.

I have no issue with castle laws or stand your ground laws. I do have issues with it allowing you to start a fight and then kill the person claiming self defense.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
to be fair a 17 yr old at 140 lbs ain't much more then a normal 12 yr old hehe (saying that i was under 140 at 17 lol)

sure its pandering. its the media. duh

That's a welterweight fighter, the minimum you can box is super lightweight.

Some super lightweights are Oscar De La Hoya, and Floyd Mayweather both also boxing at welterweight along with legend Sugar Ray.

140lbs can mean a lot.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
at least something good would come out of this. they really need to change the law.

I have no issue with castle laws or stand your ground laws. I do have issues with it allowing you to start a fight and then kill the person claiming self defense.

The laws aren't that grey for pure self defense. It usually has to be something verbal or minor that leads to a major beatdown.

Manslaughter is the typical charge in these cases.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
That's a welterweight fighter, the minimum you can box is super lightweight.

Some super lightweights are Oscar De La Hoya, and Floyd Mayweather both also boxing at welterweight along with legend Sugar Ray.

140lbs can mean a lot.

you really get off on tangents dude.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

Listen carefully to the 2min20sec. to 2min. 23 sec. segment. then tell me you didn't hear "fucking coons"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL72w4xiTVU

The title of the video is probably unnecessarily provocative, but listen carefully to what was said.

Seriously he at that point when he was caught up to by Mr. Zimmerman he was a scared 17 year old kid. Not some person with years of martial arts training.

Last edited:

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nake...kely-be-arrested-doesnt-deserve-immunity.html

Still, there’s a chance Zimmerman could avoid an arrest or a conviction if he were charged because the law gives broad protections to those who claim they had reason to be afraid and to use deadly force.

There’s a chance, for instance, that Zimmerman decided to stop following Trayvon after he was told by a police dispatcher “Okay, we don't need you to do that.” After that, Trayvon could have changed course and confronted Zimmerman.

It’s unclear. Only Zimmerman appears to know. Still, the 911 tapes suggest Zimmerman may have gotten out of his car just after he admitted he was following Trayvon.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nake...ed-doesnt-deserve-immunity.html#storylink=cpy

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

Thank you. This is what I've been trying to say.

"I live right over there."

"I'm going home."

Instead of trying to be a hard @ss.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

"I'm going home."

I have mentioned this prior in the thread and most said if they were questioned like EskimoSpy; they'd have gotten hostile too.

Stupid if you ask me....

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Thank you. This is what I've been trying to say. "I live right over there." "I'm going home." Instead of trying to be a hard @ss.

"WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME?" isn't necessarily hard assed.

Seriously if you're going to apply that to the situation then what's wrong with asking why Mr. Zimmerman didn't identify himself by saying something like "I'm George with the neighborhood watch. Did you just move here?"

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

"I'm going home."

After having a guy fallow him then chase him i don't blame T for his answer. Also he is a 17 yr old kid. Not to mention its none of Z's business.

the mature one is supposed to be the one who thinks he is a cop, 25 (or whatever he is) years old, AND HAS A FUCKING GUN.

Z fucked up the situation and is 100% to blame. try as you might there is nothing you can blame the kid on.

IF Z had just used common sense and had any kind of training a young boy would be alive.

oh and

Seriously if you're going to apply that to the situation then what's wrong with asking why Mr. Zimmerman didn't identify himself by saying something like "I'm George with the neighborhood watch. Did you just move here?"

that too..

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010

Seriously if you're going to apply that to the situation what's wrong with saying "I'm George with the neighborhood watch. Did you just move here?"

Right. Zimmerman was unnecessarily confrontational in what he is alleged to have said.

"What are you doing here" is threatening and hostile.

He should have said, "are you lost?" or something friendly.

And saying something friendly would actually work in deterring crime, since it signals to a potential criminal that there are people who are paying attention.

DrewSG3

Feb 7, 2005

"I'm going home."

Unbelievable.

It's none of his fucking business what he's doing there. HES NOT A FUCKING COP OR PERSON OF AUTHORITY. If I'm walking home and some stranger is following me, better believe I'm not going to tell him my business, and in most cases, I'd tell him to fuck off.

you people giving this guy excuse for playing vigilante is really pathetic

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

"I'm going home."

Yep, in a bad neighborhood, I'm going to let some guy chase me and when he doesn't identify himself and grabs me, I'm not going to be defensive.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
you can't blame T for being tense and angry in the situation. You and I would be also.

Why? I have been questioned many times even into my 30's.

Let's not forget when a cop pulled out his gun on my wife and I at CitiBank in Palm Beach. Acting like an asshat would have gotten me shot, instead I stated I have an account here and we are banking.

Which then led to him putting the gun away and asking "Do you live here?"

My answer was no we lived off the island...which his answer was "You don't belong here then, go bank in West Palm Beach".

Probably was at the time the only other CitiBank branch was much farther away.

I could have made this a huge lawsuit, but we just were happy that we was being dismissed.

Cop was profiling my 4 year old black Saturn SC2 which was lowered, tinted, and didn't match a car you'd see on that island.

There have been other times I have been stopped. I know why, the car...it's not going to do me any good to fight a cop roadside. I call an attorney and have it all thrown out.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Listen carefully to the 2min20sec. to 2min. 23 sec. segment. then tell me you didn't hear "fucking coons"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL72w4xiTVU

The title of the video is probably unnecessarily provocative, but listen carefully to what was said.

Seriously he at that point when he was caught up to by Mr. Zimmerman he was a scared 17 year old kid. Not some person with years of martial arts training.

Yea, I can hear it perfectly fine.

Considering there is no heat of the moment involved yet, he is simply stalking his prey at this point and not engaging in the confrontation. I really don't see why this can't be pursued as a hate crime.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Right. Zimmerman was unnecessarily confrontational in what he is alleged to have said.

"What are you doing here" is threatening and hostile.

He should have said, "are you lost?" or something friendly.

And saying something friendly would actually work in deterring crime, since it signals to a potential criminal that there are people who are paying attention.

or he could have done the correct thing and hang back until the cops come and let them do the job they are trained to do.

edit: though in hindsight i do think T made one error. he should have called 911 instead of the girl he was talking to.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

There are many studies where they have a guy in something as bizarre as a gorilla suit dance across a crowd and no one sees that. They will know the music playing a few details about the crowd and adamantly deny there was a gorilla.

The thing is it's a combination though. If you seed a verbal story people tend to see what they are hearing.

One paper out of context doesn't prove otherwise.

Last edited:

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Why? I have been questioned many times even into my 30's.

Let's not forget when a cop pulled out his gun on my wife and I at CitiBank in Palm Beach. Acting like an asshat would have gotten me shot, instead I stated I have an account here and we are banking.

Which then led to him putting the gun away and asking "Do you live here?"

My answer was no we lived off the island...which his answer was "You don't belong here then, go bank in West Palm Beach".

Probably was at the time the only other CitiBank branch was much farther away.

I could have made this a huge lawsuit, but we just were happy that we was being dismissed.

Cop was profiling my 4 year old black Saturn SC2 which was lowered, tinted, and didn't match a car you'd see on that island.

There have been other times I have been stopped. I know why, the car...it's not going to do me any good to fight a cop roadside. I call an attorney and have it all thrown out.

Z isn't a cop you fool.

So what other stories do you have to offer about being profiled by a vigilante neighborhood watch captain?