UNanny States Of America: Woman faces 6 months in Jail for posting nude photos of herself on Net

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
12-31-2003 Nebraska Woman Ticketed for Being Nude on Net

Melissa J. Harrington, 21, was ticketed Monday for violating Lincoln's public nudity ordinance by posting pictures on her Web site "showing her naked at one of our downtown bars and in several other locations around the city," Police Chief Tom Casady said.

The owner of the bar, Jerry Luth, told Omaha television station KETV he is extremely upset by the pictures and did not give Harrington permission to shoot the pictures at the bar.

"I'm the one who called police to complain about the nude pictures," said Luth.

Casady said the police department planned to send a letter to the state Liquor Control Commission to see if the bar violated any state laws.

Harrington was to be arraigned in Lancaster County Court on Jan 29. If convicted, she faces a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $500 fine.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I feel sorry for those that might only have this Bar around town too.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Six months in jail. Man she must be really ugly to get that much time.
Nah this is Nebraska where they prefer nude sheep over nude women

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
All Bush supporters I assure you...no one else could be wound so tight.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I posted a link to here for the perverts in OT. This way they may be able to expand there horizons.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
I posted a link to here for the perverts in OT. This way they may be able to expand there horizons.

Clicked on link in OT & was transported to P&N, was hoping for naked pics...

Curse you EagleKeeper.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The owner of the bar, Jerry Luth, told Omaha television station KETV he is extremely upset by the pictures and did not give Harrington permission to shoot the pictures at the bar.

I don't know why he's pissed. He'll probably get more business now than he's ever had.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Zebo
All Bush supporters I assure you...no one else could be wound so tight.

All Bush Bashers I assure you, this has absolutely nothing to do with Bush. When was the law passed? I blame Cli...nah ;)

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Woman faces 6 months in Jail for posting nude photos of herself on Net

No, woman faces jail time and/or fine for using someone else's property without permission for a photo shoot, which in this case happened to be commercial to boot. Bars aren't preschools, but typically nudity is confined to "someone got tipsy and flashed the people at the other table". She knowingly and willingly broke the law and took risks that could negatively impact the bar owner's business. It wasn't a scheduled shoot, wasn't a controlled setting, but was in a place where strangers were being served alcohol. Notice the pushing and shoving in OT over pics, extend that to a real live naked woman and the situation very easily have gotten out of control - in which case she'd almost certainly be suing the bar owner at this point.

Yeah, it's a bar but even so an establishment has a reputation to maintain. I don't know what the reputation of Marz Intergalactic Shrimp and Martini Bar was before, but now it's that place where some gal got naked. If the owner doesn't bring charges to make it known he did not give permission or condone the activity that can, and almost certainly has, affect the clientele. Some new people may come in thinking they're likely to get a free peep show. Regulars may take their business elsewhere because of those thrill seekers, or may not go there to avoid being grilled by their SO about 'being at that place where', or shocking as it may seem, may not want to see a woman prancing around in her birthday suit as they eat their shrimp.

Actually the place may well be more of a resturant than a bar to start with. Thanks to public smoking bans a lot of places in Lincoln are looking for bar status to avoid the ban. (wasn't there some reference to nanny state...I digress) Point being that if this is the case the above factors are even more important than they would be at say a college binge bar.

There's more to it than "OH NOOOES THOSE PRUDES!" But that's exactly what the AP was looking for with their misleading and factually incorrect headline. It's a businessman protecting his livelihood that lead to the charges. Even if you don't like public nudity restrictions, this wasn't the public park, it was a private establishment. Heck for that matter if he doesn't make an issue of it he could get in trouble with the health dept if he appears to condone it or if repeat performances start happening because he doesn't make an issue. No shirt, no shoes, no service...sounds like she didn't have any of those.

And Red Dawn, could you keep your sheep trivia to yourself? Thanks

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I'm not bashing Bush but his supporters instead who have such a frail outlook on life and generally need to control others personal life. Nebraska is overwhelingly Bush Terroitry.

Bush I'm sure had orgies, drugs, and alcohol among other things.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: blurredvision
Originally posted by: NightCrawler
Originally posted by: Jmman
I can't resist.....pics?

The pics are available another site reporting the news had a link to her site :)
I am oddly drawn to ask you for the URL................damn, I'm so ashamed :eek:.

you can find a link on fark.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: McCarthy
Woman faces 6 months in Jail for posting nude photos of herself on Net

No, woman faces jail time and/or fine for using someone else's property without permission for a photo shoot, which in this case happened to be commercial to boot. Bars aren't preschools, but typically nudity is confined to "someone got tipsy and flashed the people at the other table". She knowingly and willingly broke the law and took risks that could negatively impact the bar owner's business. It wasn't a scheduled shoot, wasn't a controlled setting, but was in a place where strangers were being served alcohol. Notice the pushing and shoving in OT over pics, extend that to a real live naked woman and the situation very easily have gotten out of control - in which case she'd almost certainly be suing the bar owner at this point.

Yeah, it's a bar but even so an establishment has a reputation to maintain. I don't know what the reputation of Marz Intergalactic Shrimp and Martini Bar was before, but now it's that place where some gal got naked. If the owner doesn't bring charges to make it known he did not give permission or condone the activity that can, and almost certainly has, affect the clientele. Some new people may come in thinking they're likely to get a free peep show. Regulars may take their business elsewhere because of those thrill seekers, or may not go there to avoid being grilled by their SO about 'being at that place where', or shocking as it may seem, may not want to see a woman prancing around in her birthday suit as they eat their shrimp.

Actually the place may well be more of a resturant than a bar to start with. Thanks to public smoking bans a lot of places in Lincoln are looking for bar status to avoid the ban. (wasn't there some reference to nanny state...I digress) Point being that if this is the case the above factors are even more important than they would be at say a college binge bar.

There's more to it than "OH NOOOES THOSE PRUDES!" But that's exactly what the AP was looking for with their misleading and factually incorrect headline. It's a businessman protecting his livelihood that lead to the charges. Even if you don't like public nudity restrictions, this wasn't the public park, it was a private establishment. Heck for that matter if he doesn't make an issue of it he could get in trouble with the health dept if he appears to condone it or if repeat performances start happening because he doesn't make an issue. No shirt, no shoes, no service...sounds like she didn't have any of those.

And Red Dawn, could you keep your sheep trivia to yourself? Thanks

The Head Nanny of Nebraska chimes in and defends his spanking of America. Heil McCarthy!

Unless you can "PROVE" she "Harmed" one person in some way go to China and pull this kind of crap, not here. There is "REAL" criminals and crimes out there that need to be addresses not sh1t like this.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I'm not bashing Bush but his supporters instead who have such a frail outlook on life and generally need to control others personal life. Nebraska is overwhelingly Bush Terroitry.

This must be a new horoscope. Right next to Sagittarius and Scorpio, we now have "Bush".

I've always supported public nudity. For some odd reason, people are more embarrassed to witness a nude person in public than it is to be nude themselves.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Regs

This must be a new horoscope. Right next to Sagittarius and Scorpio, we now have "Bush".

I've always supported public nudity. For some odd reason, people are more embarrassed to witness a nude person in public than it is to be nude themselves.

Close to astrology...It's called christain FUN-DA-MENTAL-ists, without which, the repulican party would be relegated to libertarins popularity.

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Unless you can "PROVE" she "Harmed" one person in some way go to China and pull this kind of crap, not here. There is "REAL" criminals and crimes out there that need to be addresses not sh1t like this.

Like spam? ;) There's plenty of ways to harm a business, being a nuicanse and distraction is certainly one. How come you want UNanny to make them to ask for permission, but not her? Take the nudity out, still should have asked for permission to use the establishment for a photo shoot.

If you don't agree with a law, work to get it changed. Disagreeing doesn't give you the right to just ignore it. Even at that, the only reason it's being enforced in this instance in the first place is because she decided her entertainment or enterprise (as it seems she's selling the images) is more important than the establishment owner's.

That the site she's linked to/affiliated with got in trouble recently is an aggrivating factor. They rented a building for a Halloween party, telling the owner of the building it would be for a party. And it was, sort of. They had a party, gave away lots of free alcohol to any attractive women who wanted it, got them plastered and dared them to bare for pictures. Most were adults, can't recall now if any pictures of minors were posted, though there were minors drinking at the event. Don't take your clothes off in public if you don't want people to see so too bad for them. Just as the woman in this discussion is responsible for consequences of her actions, so were the women that night. But I don't agree with the web site operator's tactic. And neither did a lot of people in the community. So when someone else associated with the site uses a business as a backdrop for her photo shoot a few months later I can certainly see the potential for harm through association. I'm glad the owner is saying it's not ok, even though I suspect he's nor more popular with the "enlightened" university crowd than he is in this thread. Of course they're probably too busy downloading mp3s in another "who does it harm" crime to read the news.

You're entitled to dislike people in my area for thinking differently and for not frequenting an establishment because of their views. You're entitled to make laws in your area supporting your beliefs so long as they follow the constitution of the United States and of your state. You're entitled to enforce those laws. You're not entitled to deport me to China.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
My Turn-ons are: Guys that know how to dress, Good Teeth, and a Nice personality.... Turn-offs: are the opposites....

Really
rolleye.gif