Unable to play videos on youtube

jpk

Mar 30, 2001
When I try to play a video on youtube, the opening video plays for a few seconds then restarts and restarts again then I get an error message. Anyone know what's going on?

jpk

Mar 30, 2001
Sorry, IE 9 and Flash Player 11

Just updated to IE 11.

Last edited:

jpk

Mar 30, 2001
To clarify. I now run IE 11 since this afternoon. Prior to that it was 9. I updated IE at the suggestion here. Curious that I could DL IE 11. IE has worked for years for me with no issues so I fail to see how all of a sudden it would be unable to allow me to view YouTube videos. Regardless, I sense a switch of browsers would do nothing to correct the issue I'm having. YouTube, all ability to download as well quit working before I updated to 11. I am unable to update Flash. It downloads about 50% then fails. I'm curious if my AV may be causing it but all was well until this morning, at least that's when I first recognized a problem. I'm running AVG as my AV program as well as Malwarebytes. Ran a scan and all seems to be clean. I had run into some issues yesterday with my Video cards in SLI. The Nvidia control panel would only show one card. Both cards had power, fans running etc. Tried reloading the Nvidia drivers to no avail. I then swapped the cards and PCI slots then Nvidia control panel saw the second card. Activated SLI and all seems to be well in that regard now.

Another weird thing. I downloaded Catzilla yesterday. It downloaded and installed fine. Ran it and got a great score but at the time I hadn't realized there was only one card running. After correcting the SLI issues I ran Catzilla again and was only getting around 30FPS out of both card running. Switched Physx from one of the vid cards to the cpu thinking perhaps that may have caused the slowdown, ran it a second time and the results were the same.

My thoughts are that it may either be the AV programs causing it or there's some other software conflict that is causing it. I've checked the bios to see if anything was amiss there but all seems to be set correctly. I'm running W7 Ultimate 64.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Running to programs that scan files at the same time is the biggest problem. I know you can add them to the exception list to one another but I still got problems with video playback when I had MBAM. Now I don't install the Pro version, just the free on demand scanner, which never finds anything

another thing, MBAM Pro scans HTTP so it could be the issue as well

jpk

Mar 30, 2001
I have the free version of MB as well as AVG. I've been using them for years and never have had an issue with either one. I never scan with both or update both at the same time. Sometimes MB will detect a bug while AVG does not and vice versa.

Also, checking on the tool bar Flash is enabled and it is version 11. So I have IE 11 and Flash 11 installed.

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Try scanning you computer with Microsoft Security Essentials.

ROFLMAO, nice joke

fucmxh.png

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Guys, stay on topic please.

OP, it seems that there's some sort of incompatibility between IE11, flash and youtube at the moment. Using another browser will work, or uninstall flash for IE (you will not be able to watch some videos with this method).

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I had this exact same issue last week. Ended up being my Avast AntiV. Turned it off, all good again.

jpk

Mar 30, 2001
Jodell88, thanks. I had the problem before updating IE to 11. I have since installed IE 11 and I removed Flash as per Seltek's instructions. Rebooted w/o Flash and reinstalled. Same problem. Only this time YouTube froze at the beginning of the video whereas before it would start to play for a couple seconds, stop, replay again then stop then the image would go away replaced by a screen of snow with a message saying there was an error,YouTube was unavailable, try again later message. I then disabled AVG and the problem was the same as the first instance. I'll try disabling Malwarebytes in addition to AVG next to see if that solves anything.

jpk

Mar 30, 2001
Interesting. When I go to the Flash website to uninstall again it detects my installed version of Flash, 11.9.900.152 and my OS, Windows 7 64bit but the browser window says I don't have a browser installed. Obviously I have a browser installed. Is this perhaps the issue?

I have also had a minor issue with my email which seems to have started around the same time. When I cursor over the Email button on my home page, I get a popup window saying "Oops, we can't seem to connect to your mail server." and yet when I click on it, it opens my email just fine.

Last edited:

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Interesting. When I go to the Flash website to uninstall again it detects my installed version of Flash, 11.9.900.152 and my OS, Windows 7 64bit but the browser window says I don't have a browser installed. Obviously I have a browser installed. Is this perhaps the issue?

I have also had a minor issue with my email which seems to have started around the same time. When I cursor over the Email button on my home page, I get a popup window saying "Oops, we can't seem to connect to your mail server." and yet when I click on it, it opens my email just fine.
Most likely you have two versions of flash installed, the activex and npapi version. The activex version is what IE uses. Try uninstalling the activex version and IE should use YouTube's HTML5 player. Not all videos play with the HTML5 player (YouTube restriction) so YMMV.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I was listening to/watching a joe rogan podcast on youtube when I noticed that a video he was trying to play had stopped at a certain point. That same thing happens to me every now and then. It plays fine up to a certain point then stops. It was funny listening to him complain about it because I say the same things.

Another problem I sometimes have is I will switch the quality up to 720p and it will just stop playing. I hit refresh and its back to 360p.

Long story short: youtube is just bad. It may as well be a government run website given how bad it is.

jpk

Mar 30, 2001
I don't use the tube much just when a review video like from Newegg is highlighting a piece of gear. Jodell88 I will give that a try. This is the first time something like this has happened in my entire time with computers. Are you saying if I uninstall Flash I am uninstalling Activex as well?

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
If the problem continues even after a reboot and reinstall of Flash, seriously consider a new browser. Reinstall Flash for that new browser. If it works, the problem is with IE.

It doesn't really matter if you get a browser from Google Chrome's family like SRWare Iron and Chromium. The other family of browsers is based on Firefox and includes Waterfox, Cyberfox (don't know about this one), and Pale Moon (the one I currently recommend).

IE11 is not bad but there are better free options out there.

jpk

Mar 30, 2001
Update: I had an additional issue that I thought was unrelated to the YouTube problem which I had not mentioned. I did not have any sound at all. I tried everything to get it running again but to no avail. Called ASUS tech about the issue and after several suggestions from them determined the audio chip probably was defective. Set up a cross ship RMA and my replacement board arrived today. Finally got it up and running and I have my audio back but I also now am able to play videos on YouTube. I just have a barebones setup up running now to just get the machine up and tested. Will install the other components as the evening progresses. Thanks to all who offered their advice.

Johnny4

Nov 12, 2013
I would suggest you to download and install the following add-ons to ensure that you are able to watch videos on youtube.

1. Adobe Flash Player 10.1
2. Adobe Shockwave Player

Once you have installed them, restart the computer and then try to play the video