Unable to install

Dec 9, 2003
I just recently got a WD 300gig 10krpm drive to replace my main drive. I have reinstalled Win Vista 64bit on it along with most of the programs I want, except 2.

1. Symantec Endpoint Protection won't install because of a reoccurring error stating ".....there are pending system changes that require a reboot....." I have rebooted several times making sure that all Win Updates are finished installing with no luck. I think it might be something in the registry that has been corrupted during one of the updates.

2. Easytune 6 won't install either from Gigabyte bios disk (error:1628: Failed to complete installation) and from a downloaded copy (error number: 0x80040707. Description DLL function call crashed: CheckFK.SearchBIOSStr). I have checked online but I seem to get forum topics in various different languages.

If anyone would have any info on how to fix these to be installed, I would be greatful. Thanks.

Ephebus

Feb 27, 2007
2. Easytune 6 won't install either from Gigabyte bios disk (error:1628: Failed to complete installation) and from a downloaded copy (error number: 0x80040707. Description DLL function call crashed: CheckFK.SearchBIOSStr). I have checked online but I seem to get forum topics in various different languages.

I get the exact same error message here when trying to install the latest version of Easy Tune 6 available from Gigabyte (build 9.1120.1) after a clean install of XP Pro SP3 on a GA-M720-US3 motherboard with a Phenom II X4 810 CPU and a GeForce GTX 260 c216 video card.

I tried contacting Gigabyte's support but that has become more and more useless over the years. They said it worked on their machine (oh, really?) and asked me to reinstall the OS (which I had just done). Then they blamed the problem on third party programs that might be installed on the system (there were none, just the latest drivers for every hardware component).

What is really a shame about this issue is that the error message is quite clear and should make it considerably easier for the programmers to find the error in their code, since the program obviously has issues which need to be looked into. After giving up on Gigabyte's support, I installed RivaTuner, MSI's Afterburner, eVGA's Precision, NVIDIA's own nTune and a few other overclocking utilities with no issues whatsoever.