Unable to boot into Windows

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hello, I installed Windows 10 on a Samsung 970 Evo NvmeSSD. It has been working fine for three weeks. I added a Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD and installed Linux on it. Now, even I went to BIOS and moved Windows to the top of the boot sequence (tried both moving 970 EVO and Windows Boot Manager) on the top of the list, Windows dows not boot. Screen turned blank with a cursor on top left and then it went to BIOS screen automatically. Removing the 850 EVO resulted in the same situation.

Also tried F12 to select the 970 EVO as the boot device in the boot menu. Again it returned to BIOS automatically.

Could you please help? I am using Gigabyte Adrous z390 Xtreme with 9900K.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Can you post a screen capture of the disk management window including the graphic layer at the bottom ?

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dual boot with win 10 is becoming very difficult , but it can be done

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
@anandtechreader

So you installed Win10 on an NVMe SSD, then you installed Linux on a SATA SSD you later added.
The way I went about this - and I don't know whether you did the same - was as follows:

1: With only one drive connected, install Windows.
2: Attach second drive (leaving first connected), install Linux on second drive.

You should then have a system that starts with a GRUB bootloader menu offering you the choice of booting Windows or Linux. There shouldn't be any need to mess with BIOS boot options.

If you deviated at step 1, such as having multiple drives connected while installing Windows - Windows sometimes has a tendency to splurge essential bits of information for booting in weird places, such as on the additional hard drive that one only uses for storing personal data.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
^^ above

If you left the windows drive plugged in during Linux install, grub probably made itself the bootloader for the windows install as well.

Boot the Linux disk and see if the windows install is listed in grub menu

Reactions: Ketchup