UN May be Close to Negotiating Deal on Iraq Elections

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
The proper thing to do would be to hold direct elections later than June 30th. What's with Bush and these artificial deadlines?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
The proper thing to do would be to hold direct elections later than June 30th. What's with Bush and these artificial deadlines?

Maybe it had something to do with the world wanting the US to hand over the goverment as soon as possible. So deadlines were set and I have little doubt that they will broke if they need to be.

8 months ago, these dates were too far away, now they are too close.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I wonder if Al-Sistani received that not-so-subtle message sent to him via a car bomb. Despite his ayatollah badge, he bleeds red like everyone else in Iraq. Should Sistani start any intercenine conflict over artificial dates, the shiite capital of Najaf will become a remnant of history.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison

Maybe it had something to do with the world wanting the US to hand over the goverment as soon as possible. So deadlines were set and I have little doubt that they will broke if they need to be.

Or maybe it has something to go with an election? Much like last year's deadline was because of the weather...

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Dari
I wonder if Al-Sistani received that not-so-subtle message sent to him via a car bomb. Despite his ayatollah badge, he bleeds red like everyone else in Iraq. Should Sistani start any intercenine conflict over artificial dates, the shiite capital of Najaf will become a remnant of history.

What car bomb?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison

The president doesn't give a crap about World Opinion. The June deadline was set for domestic political considerations.

Jan 12, 2003

Maybe Canada should provide security at the polling stations?