UN Doctored Report on Hariri murder

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: BunLengthHotDog
Appears the UN has gone to new depth's to protect certain people within the Syrian dictatorship, going as far as editing a report on the matter...removing names of various officials family members.

UN Report Doctored

This link shows what was removed, and changed

Edits

Here is the original Word Doc :

Original Report

No doubt about it. It was clear from the first moment that Hariri was killed by Assad's gang. It was his inner circle that killed Hariri. Unfortunately, the UN may not take any action.

I am hoping the French and other Europeans will finally stand up. I believe that the French will take some sort of action against the Syrians.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Let's wait for Mehlis' statement before jumping to any conclusions. He may well have agreed to the edits in the meeting with Annan, which would explain the whole thing... the timing is certainly right for such to have occurred...

BunLengthHotDog

Feb 21, 2003
From the first source :
At a press conference yesterday Herr Mehlis insisted that Mr Annan had not pressurised him into making changes. ?No one outside of the report team influenced these changes and no changes whatsoever were suggested by the Secretary-General,? he said.

Taking within the context of the article, it would appear Annan edited the document himself.

Also

But computer tracking showed that the final edit began at about 11.38am on Thursday ? a minute after Herr Mehlis began a meeting with Mr Annan to present his report. The names of Maher al-Assad, General Shawkat and the others were apparently removed at 11.55am, after the meeting ended.

The final edit was made after Mehlis had left.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: raildogg
No doubt about it. It was clear from the first moment that Hariri was killed by Assad's gang. It was his inner circle that killed Hariri. Unfortunately, the UN may not take any action.

I am hoping the French and other Europeans will finally stand up. I believe that the French will take some sort of action against the Syrians.

One could hope. Relying on the UN to do anything (good) puts you at pretty bad odds. You've probably got a better chance of being struck by lightning.