UN assembly votes in favor of PALESTINIAN STATEHOOD!

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
http://webtv.un.org/
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/1...an-statehood-bid-ahead-un-vote/#ixzz2DejlWhtA

The resolution upgrading the Palestinians' status to a nonmember observer state at the United Nations was approved by a more than two-thirds majority of the 193-member world body -- a vote of 138 to 9, with the U.S. and Israel among those who opposed. There were 41 abstentions.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/1...an-statehood-bid-ahead-un-vote/#ixzz2DejlWhtA
The resolution upgrading the Palestinians' status to a nonmember observer state at the United Nations was approved by a more than two-thirds majority of the 193-member world body -- a vote of 138 to 9, with the U.S. and Israel among those who opposed. There were 41 abstentions.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/1...an-statehood-bid-ahead-un-vote/#ixzz2DejlWhtA
the world has spoken. end settlements and illegal occupations now! :p

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Good.

The faster everyone over there starts being responsible for their actions, the better.*

*Wait, people will have to be responsible for their actions? I don't see this ending well.....(or going anywhere....)....

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
I should add...I do think this is a good thing. I don't think it will help but I hope it does.

Jun 26, 2007
Great, this changes absolutely nothing but good for Fatah to now be the only credible leadership the Palestinians have.

I do believe Mahmoud Abbas concessions about right of return (he has stated that it's no longer a demand Fatah will make) had a not so small part in why so many nations have now thrown Fatah a bone.

Note that this isn't going to change anything what so ever though.

Jun 26, 2007
In another 50 years we might have tentative discussions about borders.

I doubt it, that would mean that Fatah's concessions would actually be realized in print and Hamas definently don't want that.

An actual peace treaty could ONLY be negotiated if everyone stops recognizing Hamas as the democratically elected leadership of the Palestinians. This is a step in that direction but not a big one.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I doubt it, that would mean that Fatah's concessions would actually be realized in print and Hamas definently don't want that.

An actual peace treaty could ONLY be negotiated if everyone stops recognizing Hamas as the democratically elected leadership of the Palestinians. This is a step in that direction but not a big one.

Abbas might have a chance but for Hamas, and as their big brother, the Muslim Brotherhood has seized all control to create a Sharia Islamic state in Egypt, they will have more influence not less. I would not be surprised to see Abbas meet an untimely end and not at the hand of Israel.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
So if Palestine attains statehood and Hamas decides to fire rockets into Israel, sounds to me like Israel now has the right to go apeshit retaliating against Palestine.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
since the Us objected, how did this pass?
thought 7 countries (US, russia, china, etc) had final veto power?!

Full UN acceptance goes through the security council.
Controlled via veto power of the big 5.

That will not happen until the Palestinians change their spots.

This action provides more legitimacy but also a lot more responsibility. Baby steps for the Palestinians to prove they have matured. Actions like they were doing against Israel from Gaza will weaken any future development.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Abbas might have a chance but for Hamas, and as their big brother, the Muslim Brotherhood has seized all control to create a Sharia Islamic state in Egypt, they will have more influence not less. I would not be surprised to see Abbas meet an untimely end and not at the hand of Israel.

Fearmonger often? Jump to conclusions? Make assertions based on innuendo & aspersions?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So if Palestine attains statehood and Hamas decides to fire rockets into Israel, sounds to me like Israel now has the right to go apeshit retaliating against Palestine.

That would be different?

Apr 27, 2012
Fearmonger often? Jump to conclusions? Make assertions based on innuendo & aspersions?

He is speaking the truth though, the MB will have more influence. Hamas must go because it is a terrorist organization who has targeted civilians

Until Hamas goes there is a very low chance for peace. As well he is right about Abbas, the man wants peace and doesn't want to kill innocent people so they could get rid of him because he is moderate

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
ugh. no way i'd wanna live in that hole. give me a nice beach front property in Italy somewhere

Agreed, and neither should they. Let the neighboring Muslim nations absorb the fragments and let peace be restored. If they continue to be walled in fighting for land with Israel, they will only continue to know pain and suffering. This statehood business is just to trap them into an unending river of blood.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He is speaking the truth though, the MB will have more influence. Hamas must go because it is a terrorist organization who has targeted civilians

Until Hamas goes there is a very low chance for peace. As well he is right about Abbas, the man wants peace and doesn't want to kill innocent people so they could get rid of him because he is moderate

Oh please. The occupation targets Palestinian civilians on a daily basis- not necessarily for death, but for oppression. Israelis as well have targeted numerous civilian targets in Gaza, for example, like thier power generating facilities & others. They're no angels, despite attempts to portray them as the poor oppressed Jews of WW2.

Israel has worked the straddle for 45 years, promising a two state solution, even as their actions on the ground make that possibility more remote with every settlement, every checkpoint, every change in the law regarding Jerusalem residency & so forth.

I think they've made a two state solution impossible, quite intentionally, leaving only two realistic options- indefinite occupation & everything that goes with it, or integration of the Pals into Israeli society as equals.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Whats the story with Canada?

The no votes, as expected, were the Israel, the US, Panama, Palau, Canada, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Czech Republic, Micronesia.

The 41 abstentions were Albania, Andorra, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Colombia, Croatia, Dem. Rep. of Congo, Estonia, Fiji, Germany, Guatemala, Haiti, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malawi, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Netherlands, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Poland, Korea, Moldova, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Macedonia, Togo, Tonga, UK, Vanuatu, according to the Guardian.