umm, er,hehe...Whats a vasectomy like? Does it hurt?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
A friend had this done. I guess the doctor was a little bored, and didn't pay as much attention as he should have. A few hours after, one of his... well you know.... swelled up to the size of a small orange:| Then it started bleeding... In the end had to have two procedures and two VERY uncomfortable months.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A friend of mine had it, and he said it was less painless than getting a tooth pulled. He said that he was in and out, took the doctor 15 minutes.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
My old boss had it done. He was back at work in a few days. He called me up in the afternoon the day it was done, as it was a morning appointment. He told me that he was sitting in his recliner with a big icepack on his 'nads and was drinking a bottle of scotch.

He said it wasn't too bad, and he's had no ill effects. It was done because his wife had been on the pill for quite a long time.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< He told me that he was sitting in his recliner with a big icepack on his 'nads and was drinking a bottle of scotch. >>

hahaha...

noxipoo

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2000
i can't wait till the male birth control pill comes out, i don't want anything going in my balls!

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, the area does need to be shaved.

However, the 'area' is probably less than you might think. The incisions are in the scrotum, so that is the only area that actually needs shaving.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Actually, we thought the shaving part was kind of like a neat little bonus.

:D :D :D

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
However, the 'area' is probably less than you might think. The incisions are in the scrotum, so that is the only area that actually needs shaving.

Man, seeing the words &quot;incisions&quot; and &quot;scrotum&quot; in the same sentence just made me start feeling kinda ill... :disgust:

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
It's not worse than getting a ring (if one's into body piercing and such stuff) or a 'Whopper' tattoo on that same strategic location. Ouch!!!

BTW, 'Whopper' is way better than 'Momma' there.

She's All I Ever Had (Ricky Martin)

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000

<< It's not worse than getting a ring (if one's into body piercing and such stuff) or a 'Whopper' tattoo on that same strategic location. Ouch!!! >>

Speaking from experience, Denis? ;)

And what's wrong with shaving the area? You may actually like the feeling of it. :p

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I had heard from a bunch of guys that it was quick, painless and within a half hour ,they were all back in the fields cording wood and luggong pianos up to the attic. Those are not the ones I paid attention to. The ones that perked my ears up are the 2-3 guys who told me their nuts swelled up the size of grapefruit and turned purple and yellow. Then a friend of mine went to a family planning clinic and had what was the latest procedure in that field. They only made one incision right in the middle which was about 1/4in..they pulled each tube out individually and cut and cauterized it. The whole procedure took less than 20 mins and I didn't even have to take my pants off. It was painless......the injection of the local anesthetic...well that is another story. No shaving was involved and I had to pass three sperm-o-grams before I was really sterile.

Nessoldaccount

Jun 4, 2000
What does this procedure do anyway? Does it make it so that when you ejaculate, nothing at all comes out? Or just clear liquid?

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
it makes you sterile.

It takes a microscope to know if the semen contains sperm or not.

A woman can not tell if you have had a vasectomy or not. You can not tell, yourself, other than the memory of the surgery.

smartt

Golden Member
Sep 27, 2000
The pain is nothing compared to what your wife would have to go through to get her 'tubes tied'. It's comparable to getting stitches. I've actually had stitches that hurt worse. You or anyone else won't know that you had it, unless you tell them.

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000

<< Actually, we thought the shaving part was kind of like a neat little bonus. >>

Thanks you ever so much for sharing lol.

Anyone know where to find a good doctor for this kind of thing? I wish I hadn't read this thread now lol...

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999

<< Anyone know where to find a good doctor for this kind of thing? >>

I really wanted to say Loreena Bobbit might be able to do the job for free, but dennil already used that joke...kinda. :(