Question Ultra HD, HD, SD resolution vs PC resolution

vultusprime

May 28, 2011
My pc is connected via HDMI to a 24" 1080p monitor at 120Hz
I noticed that my nvidia control panel has Ultra HD, HD and SD 1080p, 1920x1080 native (which is what I'm using now).
But it also has PC 1920x1080.

What is the difference and which one should I use?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
What is the difference and which one should I use?
What Krteq said.

Always send what your display is designed to use. If you send something else, the display will convert it to what it was designed for, possibly losing information when it does so. Always select native. All other options are inferior.

The difference is in the color encoding. YCbCr444 vs RGB.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If you are still curious swap between them and see what happens ;).

You can always swap it back.

- Hey everyone, look at Mr Bigshot "I've never monkeyed around with settings which caused a cascade of changes I was not prepared for resulting in having to completely reinstall windows in order to get back to the default setting I was using in the first place" Guy over here!

I'm not paranoid, you're paranoid!

Granted, plug and play is actually, well, plug and play nowadays and the sort of thing described above is more an more a relic of the past but I have been scarred enough that I always follow the "if its working and I don't have a day to burn getting it working again... leave it alone" philosophy on these things.

Reactions: Krteq

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
- Hey everyone, look at Mr Bigshot "I've never monkeyed around with settings which caused a cascade of changes I was not prepared for resulting in having to completely reinstall windows in order to get back to the default setting I was using in the first place" Guy over here!
oh yea, the good old days.

If you put the monitor in a setting where it will not display anything on boot, mash the f8 key on boot to go into safe mode.

--------------------------

If you really feel like taking a walk on the wild side I have a program that allows you to edit the ESID for the monitor. The odd buzzing sound along with the smell of burnt socks, that is totally normal. /s

--cackles manically--

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012

I'm not paranoid, you're paranoid!

Granted, plug and play is actually, well, plug and play nowadays and the sort of thing described above is more an more a relic of the past but I have been scarred enough that I always follow the "if its working and I don't have a day to burn getting it working again... leave it alone" philosophy on these things.
How is swapping the TV resolution ever going to affect windows?! You can swap it back at any time with your remote and get everything back. Windows defaults do not change on its own, you would have to willingly want to destroy windows to manage that.