Ultra HD Blu-ray drives for pc

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by phillyman36, Jan 16, 2017.

1. phillyman36

phillyman36 Golden Member

Has anyone heard or seen any info on UHD blu ray drives for the pc during CES? Do we know what companies are making any this year?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Ultra drives Forum Date
    Tower PC with 4-6 HDD Drive Bays Home Theater PCs Jun 15, 2017
    Blu-ray drive that will play "Avatar" Home Theater PCs Feb 26, 2017
    Chromecast Ultra? Home Theater PCs Dec 22, 2016
    MSI Cubi - booting from 2.5" drive? Home Theater PCs Apr 6, 2016
    CyberLink PowerDVD 14 Ultra $34.99 AC FS @ Newegg (expires 3/18) Home Theater PCs Mar 18, 2015

3. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

Drives that can play UHD disks probably already exist. That isn't really the problem. The problem is no software that can decode UHD disk DRM is being sold yet, and there are no announced plans to sell it in the future.

It seems easy to guess why- everytime Blu Ray or DVD DRM got hacked it was because a Windows app was exploited to give up its secrets. No Windows applications means no DRM hole, and so far UHD disks have not been cracked so it seems that theory is somewhat valid.

HTPCs are dying across the board- only a small subset of computers can get 4K Netflix, UHD disks are unplayable, and Cablecard support is dying. It is sad times for the segment.

4. FeuerFrei

FeuerFrei Diamond Member

Last I heard Powerdvd is licensed for UHD playback. Starting with version 17, IIRC.
    Will we need special new BD drives? Honest question - I'm curious.

5. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

It can play UHD HEVC but I don't think they licensed the disk DRM which is what matters.

I hope they do, I won't buy a single UHD disk until I can rip them and we need software clients to get there.