ultra fast Ni-MH battery charger

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
i got a set of 2000 mA batteries from batteryspace.com and they came with a "ultra-fast Ni-MH battery charger"

well i tried it for the first time today...it really is ultra-fast. charged a set of dead batteries in almost an hour. but the batteries were REALLY hot at the end...and they smelled funky?

is this charger safe?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
They tend to be a little hard on the batteries but they shouldn't damage them. At worst I think all they do is yield about a 10% reduction in the number cycles the batteries can go through.

By and large, the faster the charger the shorter the overall life (not the charge life, but the life in terms of the number of cycles) of the battery. Of course, there's a trade-off in practicality since a 24 hour charger is just not practical for everyone.

So, short answer: The charger is safe, but the batteries will have a slightly shorter overall life span simply because of the nature of fast charging.

ZV

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
An hour is ultra-fast? That's newb-territory! My rayovac one charges up its 2000 mAh batteries in 15 minutes. Damn things are HOT to the touch after. I've had it for a couple of months and have done maybe 5-6 charges on a set of batteries. No problems so far - I'm happy with it. Batteries are so cheap anyway :)

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
An hour is ultra-fast? That's newb-territory! My rayovac one charges up its 2000 mAh batteries in 15 minutes. Damn things are HOT to the touch after. I've had it for a couple of months and have done maybe 5-6 charges on a set of batteries. No problems so far - I'm happy with it. Batteries are so cheap anyway :)

i guess relative speed is inversely realted to post count :p

yea i know batteries are cheap, but i was just worried that they might start leaking in my camera and fvuk it up. but thanks for reassuring me otherwise

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Aharami
Originally posted by: Skoorb

i guess relative speed is inversely realted to post count :p

yea i know batteries are cheap, but i was just worried that they might start leaking in my camera and fvuk it up. but thanks for reassuring me otherwise
Well I've not heard of it. I put them in my new $380 camera and sleep fine at night :)

I read a couple of revies about the rayovac and posted here and didn't hear any complaints like leaking or other issues...

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
haha i guess im just paranoid. oh mine arent rayovacs. they are some generic brand from batteryspace.com

oh well. time will tell