Ultimate Thermal Paste

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
That is impressive.

I would like to see more comparable results though, perhaps using a modern day I7 rig (purely because the I7 is a hot ah heck exspecially when it o/c'd)

The cost would be justified by significant improvements in temps. For example if you can get a 10C reduction over a popular TIM like Arctic Silver 5, then it would be worth a $30 -40 price tag. Hell, I would even pay £50 for a tube if its that good.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I thought IC7, or whatever that retail available diamond-based TIM is called, has been around for like 2yrs now? I checked the link but there is no date on the article, so is it >2yrs old or did these guys just not want to buy the retail stuff?

RikHollis

Aug 5, 2009
I thought it was a pretty cool home-project. And I think the $30 cost was for all supplies, not just what they used in the batch they cooked up. What do you normally get when you buy Aritc Silver now; about 3 grams? Better marketing and packaging could easily turn a profit from their initial costs, so does that clue us in on the profit margins Artic Silver is probably making?

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
IC7 is not that impressive. 1F lower at idle and 5F lower at load as compared to AS. It only has 7 carats per 1.5g tube and they purchased 25 carats to make thir paste. If they added more diamonds it might make a good alternative to water cooling if those results are accurate. IC7 is only $8 though so with 3-4 times the diamond dust it could be up to $30. If it cooled that well I would be interested in it. 1.5g goes a long way.

http://www.acousticpc.com/inno..._thermal_compound.html

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Originally posted by: RikHollis
I thought it was a pretty cool home-project. And I think the $30 cost was for all supplies, not just what they used in the batch they cooked up. What do you normally get when you buy Aritc Silver now; about 3 grams? Better marketing and packaging could easily turn a profit from their initial costs, so does that clue us in on the profit margins Artic Silver is probably making?

Arctic silver uses silver (hence the name), whereas the homemade paste in the OP's link used diamond.

IDC is correct that there is a retail version of a diamond-based TIM called IC (Innovation Cooling) Diamond 7:
http://www.innovationcooling.com/overview.htm

The diamond they use is synthetic (92% pure) and you get 7 carats worth in the small tube (1.5g) and 24 carats in the larger tube (4.8g).

I admit that I didn't know about this product, hence my previous post. The price is over 3x more than AS5 (in the UK):

1.5g of IC7 = £6.49 (or £4.33/g)
3.5g of AS5 = £4.58 (or £1.31/g)
12g of AS5 = £15.98 (or £1.33/g)

The above prices are from here and exclude p & p, but include V.A.T.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
19 degree difference under load ? Someone either didn't apply the heatsink properly the first time, or the measurements are screwed.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
the thing is, those results look rather accurate for how AS5 cools. those results are so impressive im thinking of trying this myself. i have an old 12gram tube of AS5 thats almost empty which i could sacrifice (i have like 10 other TIMs now i use) for the project, and the rest of it should be simple enough. if their results mimic what you can expect from a similar setup, then its more than worth spending $30 on, considering how little you actually need

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I buy my dust fom these guys. I won't say what grain I use or base compound but its actually very cheap to make. I been using for 31/2 years . It works well . But my results aren't = to what their showing. 3c is best I get over top brand.

http://www.kaydp.com/powder.php

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Wait... Wasn't this done before by a user on these boards? Bonzai Duck I think it was...