Ultimate party toy...

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
There's a bar here in town that has a one of those. Pretty damn funny to see what the results are for some people. I don't know if they still do it, but the bar used to make anyone who tried it and had results over the legal limit have someone else drive them home or the bar would call them a cab.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: Lucky
I have this portable one
Hey! That's the one I had!!! Did you steal it when I was drunk?

haha. :)

I used mine about 2 months ago after going out to the bar, I registered .06. My buddy was .10, so I decided to drive. The week before I had chipped one of my headlight housings and when it rained the water got inside and burned the bulb out. So I was driving home (friday night, 3AM) and I see this cop, and I told my buddy "I KNOW he's gonna pull me over". Sure enough, he did. We went through all the usuals and then he asked me if I'd been drinking. I told him yeah, I have, but I'm under the limit. He gave me a skeptical look and asked me to step out of the car so he could do some sobriety tests. I agreed, knowing I was under the limit. He starts doing the flashlight thing and then asks me to walk backwards towards his cop car in a straight line. I really didn't want to do that, so I told him, ya' know, I'd be willing to take a breathalyzer. He gave me a suprised look and put me in the back of the his cop car.

Meanwhile, my friend sees me getting in the back of the car and thinks im being arrested for drunk driving. I could see his panicked face from the cruiser. ;)So the cop does a few things on his computer and then says, "OK, let's start this". I whipped out my breathalyzer from my pocket and asked him, "do you want to use yours or mine?" The look on his face was priceless! :D He busts out laughing and says, "uh, mine". I blew into his unit (suprisingly similar, BTW) and it registered .05. We joked around for a few minutes before he sent me on my way with a warning to fix the headlight.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: shinerburke
There's a bar here in town that has a one of those. Pretty damn funny to see what the results are for some people. I don't know if they still do it, but the bar used to make anyone who tried it and had results over the legal limit have someone else drive them home or the bar would call them a cab.
That's a really bad idea. There was a bar that was sued in Louisiana for related circumstances. They had a breathalyzer in the bar with a similar policy. A guy blew under the limit, left and got pulled over and arrested for DUI. Sued the bar and won because he thought he was legal according to the machine....even though every one of those things has stickers all over them saying results are not accurate and should not be used to guage one's legal alcohol level.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: shinerburke
That's a really bad idea. There was a bar that was sued in Louisiana for related circumstances. They had a breathalyzer in the bar with a similar policy. A guy blew under the limit, left and got pulled over. Sued the bar and won because he thought he was legal according to the machine....even though every one of those things has stickers all over them saying results are not accurate and should not be used to guage one's legal alcohol level.
Yeah....I think that's the reason this bar has it as a toy, it's between a couple of pinball machines, and only got involved when someone blew over the limit. Like I said, don't know if they even have it anymore since my last visit was over a year ago.