UK would run out of food a year from now with no-deal Brexit, NFU warns

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
The US exports a shit ton of food except to the UK for some reason? EU farmers are going to turn down exports because there isn’t a trade deal? Doesn’t make sense. They may pay higher prices but whatever they still get the food.

Reactions: Flapdrol1337

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The US exports a shit ton of food except to the UK for some reason? EU farmers are going to turn down exports because there isn’t a trade deal? Doesn’t make sense. They may pay higher prices but whatever they still get the food.

It's the inbound side that's the problem. Unless the brits decide to waive customs and duties on food shipments it's going to be a debacle.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I mean if the alternative is no food I’d think that would be a no brainer? The UK is a very modern country, I think they can figure out how to import stuff.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I mean if the alternative is no food I’d think that would be a no brainer? The UK is a very modern country, I think they can figure out how to import stuff.

If you're going to keep the EU standards then why leave the EU at all when one of the big promises was that you wouldn't have to?

On the second part...lol. Modern yes. Able to organize this effort...absolutely not.

FreshBross

Jul 30, 2018
Time for UK business investors to start investing in controlled environment farms, at least have a massive stock of produce to market.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Why would they have to? They can import whatever they want.

The idea of no rules probably sounds good until there is a major food-borne illness outbreak from sketchy products imported without inspections. They are not equipped in the slightest to do those inspections.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
The idea of no rules probably sounds good until there is a major food-borne illness outbreak from sketchy products imported without inspections. They are not equipped in the slightest to do those inspections.

How do they manage currently?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
How do they manage currently?

My understanding is that EU standards pretty much regulate these things, negating the need for any inspections inside the bloc. This is what's facilitated easy ag and food product trade between EU nations.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
So if the UK imports from the EU it would I’m assuming abide by that by default? I could see it being an issue if the UK was trying to export into the EU but I don’t see how the opposite would be a problem.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So if the UK imports from the EU it would I’m assuming abide by that by default? I could see it being an issue if the UK was trying to export into the EU but I don’t see how the opposite would be a problem.

The UK would have to trust, without recourse, that what they are getting meets those standards if they waived inspections. That's not a good position to be in.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Why would they waive inspections, I’m just not following what Brexit would have to do with it. If they don’t inspect imports they are having to trust in the exporter regardless of if they are in a union or not. If they sold them a bad product why wouldn’t they have recourse? There exists import/export insurance and I don’t know the legal system there but I’d imagine they have avenues to pursue selling them a faulty product.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Why are they continuing down this path? Its clear the russian's sowed dissent among the dumb rural people to fuck up Britain.

What you don't understand is that, no matter what outside forces endorse it, the dissent among "dumb rural people" is real. That happens when social safety nets are watered down and fail to provide substance. Capitalism, world over, is evolving. One must adapt or be taken down by the rising tide of populist revolt.

We live on the eve of a new era. It might become very messy first.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Why would they waive inspections, I’m just not following what Brexit would have to do with it. If they don’t inspect imports they are having to trust in the exporter regardless of if they are in a union or not. If they sold them a bad product why wouldn’t they have recourse? There exists import/export insurance and I don’t know the legal system there but I’d imagine they have avenues to pursue selling them a faulty product.

Customs backups. The government has already admitted they're waaay behind on a program to handle customs. Business seem to think that the delays will grind trade to a crawl.

They are protected by EU rules while in the EU.

I guess we'll see who's right in a few months heh.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

There are no customs inspections between EU members. So if I take a truckload of produce through the Chunnel to the UK customs waves me through in both directions. The amount of commerce is huge & I doubt either party will go without inspections, jamming it up all to Hell and gone. Might be some illegal eastern europeans hiding in all that lettuce! It's one of those "Fuck me? No, Fuck You!" deals.

The Brits can get a good deal on cut rate US soybeans, however, as if British food generally isn't bad enough already.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Whether they want to inspect it is up to them. Currently it sounds like they aren’t inspecting any, so if they abandon any efforts to do so they have status quoa. They aren’t gonna starve.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What you don't understand is that, no matter what outside forces endorse it, the dissent among "dumb rural people" is real. That happens when social safety nets are watered down and fail to provide substance. Capitalism, world over, is evolving. One must adapt or be taken down by the rising tide of populist revolt.

We live on the eve of a new era. It might become very messy first.

The problem, of course, is that those people don't want no stinking social safety net. Don't want nuthin from de gubmint! They have no plan to get a bigger piece of the pie other than voting for more trickle down. Cuz God, guns, gays, trans, blacks, browns, illegals, feminists, taxes, welfare queens, abortion & protecting their precious bodily fluids. Cuz Fuck You!

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Well . . . I like Stilton cheese. I think it would be hard to f** up fish and chips. They exported little tins of beef and truffle pie. Was that it? Maybe. But the myth about British cuisine matches the myth I've had about it in my mind, despite being relatively ignorant on the topic. Anthony Bourdain had a nice episode visiting the UK, which gave me an appetite. That was just before he punched out early.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Well . . . I like Stilton cheese. I think it would be hard to f** up fish and chips. They exported little tins of beef and truffle pie. Was that it? Maybe. But the myth about British cuisine matches the myth I've had about it in my mind, despite being relatively ignorant on the topic. Anthony Bourdain had a nice episode visiting the UK, which gave me an appetite. That was just before he punched out early.

They should stop with the vinegar, that would improve the cuisine a lot already.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Alarming news, and a testament to what wonderful Pyrrhic victories hollow nationalism can lead to.

Great Britain will not go hungry though. There is absolutely zero chance America would allow it's older brother to go down the Venezuela path. We would see convoys of aid, just like we did for them in the 40s. It won't come to that though, the Brits are clever and resourceful people. They didn't stomp about the globe conquering people because they were lazy.