UK votes to leave the European Union

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ALIVE

Golden Member
May 21, 2012

LOL LOL LOL AND MORE LOL
that was an excuse made form the British to justified the change of the name

how many centuries GB existed and they had ireland as part of them???
either whole or a part of it????

and suddenly they discover that great britain also has ireland and they had to adress this issue

so they change the name to united kigdom and also they changed the flag to include the irish flaq
the so called irish flag they insert in their flag is a fiction, every historian agrees that that flag was never used by the irish and any given time in their history.

but thats what we say making the pill gold to make it better

GB wanted to enter the union , they need to change their name. but they could not say that to their people so they make this BULLSHIT STORY
about equality and unity
and thus new flag and new name UK
by the way if the british wanted to be more equal and more united where is the welsh flag in their flag!?!?!??
oh wait maybe a few centuries more and the biritish will find out that there is also a welsh flag to insert in their national UNION FLAG

and LOL LOL LOL
americans you are so naive

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
LOL LOL LOL AND MORE LOL

and suddenly they discover that great britain also has ireland and they had to adress this issue

so they change the name to united kigdom and also they changed the flag to include the irish flaq
the so called irish flag they insert in their flag is a fiction, every historian agrees that that flag was never used by the irish and any given time in their history.

GB wanted to enter the union , they need to change their name. but they could not say that to their people so they make this BULLSHIT STORY
about equality and unity
by the way if the british wanted to be more equal and more united where is the welsh flag in their flag!?!?!??
oh wait maybe a few centuries more and the biritish will find out that there is also a welsh flag to insert in their national UNION FLAG

and LOL LOL LOL

I think you're mixing up "naïve" with "barely gives a micron of a fuck"

I got everything I need to know about Britain from James Bond, nothing else matters

GO 'MERICA!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
LOL LOL LOL AND MORE LOL

about equality and unity

and LOL LOL LOL

So when did the name switch over from GB to UK? 1973?

ALIVE

Golden Member
May 21, 2012
So when did the name switch over from GB to UK? 1973?

just for the fun of
i was in ukraine for holidays in KIEV the capital and looking around the buildings and i come across the birtish embassy which was name
Great Britain Embassy

lol lol lol

UK is a fabricated name used for consumption inside the EU
outside the EU the British feel and nostalgia of the GB empire

i was in KIEV in 2008

and i told you in television in europe they were called UK UK UK
and now after the referendum they are called GB GB GB
wow
someone told the media to change the use of the name in the night
and start calling them again GB???

they made a story so they will not have to admit defeat
UK is for internal propaganda reasons

they were not FORCED to change their name they changed it for equality reasons lol

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
just for the fun of
i was in ukraine for holidays in KIEV the capital and looking around the buildings and i come across the birtish embassy which was name
Great Britain Embassy

lol lol lol

UK is a fabricated name used for consumption inside the EU
outside the EU the British feel and nostalgia of the GB empire

i was in KIEV in 2008

and i told you in television in europe they were called UK UK UK
and now after the referendum they are called GB GB GB
wow
someone told the media to change the use of the name in the night
and start calling them again GB???

they made a story so they will not have to admit defeat
UK is for internal propaganda reasons

they were not FORCED to change their name they changed it for equality reasons lol

so was it 1973? I just want to learn since I am not Eurpoean nor British or whatever term you want to use.

<-- Lives in an Igloo and eats whale blubber.

Ares202

Jun 3, 2007
so was it 1973? I just want to learn since I am not Eurpoean nor British or whatever term you want to use.

GB and UK are still used interchangeably, but officially the country is the United Kingdom.

Technically GB is the largest island if you want to delve into semantics. It's like how the US and USA are used, its not a particularly difficult concept to understand.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
GB and UK are still used interchangeably, but officially the country is the United Kingdom.

Technically GB is the largest island if you want to delve into semantics. It's like how the US and USA are used, its not a particularly difficult concept to understand.

Oh I am just trying to understand Alive's assertion that UK had to change its name from GB to UK to get into EU when UK has been in use since 1801.

ALIVE

Golden Member
May 21, 2012

<-- Lives in an Igloo and eats whale blubber.

what you see as EU was not made in 1 night
before that we had the EEC european economic community
before that we had the coal and steel treaties that started all

and slowly slowly more treaties were signed more countries entered
until the time come and the EU of today was formed

i was a child back then i did not pay attention
but GB enter in an early change of the union
then there was a fight and they left
and then they re enter as UK later.

specific dates i have to search
but in Europe is common knowledge and many reported many times said that if they have not left the union in the early stages and re enter their role in the union of today was going to be more leading

also for the fun of it
the English enter the pro euro common currency which was more theoretical because it did not have a physical form to live it a few years later pissing France and Germany once more

then when the dept crisis in Greece started the English were in the economic meetings and as all the time were pissing all the rest that they do everything wrong, when English were asked are you going to help us in the crisis or not the English replied we are not in the euro currency

and that was an immidiate kick out from the meeting
and from all next meeting
in short if you do not want to help in economic aspects they you do not belong in the meetings that make economic decisions that was the 3rd betrayal in the union

and what the english did??
they celebrated
their newspaper next day wrote
TRIUMPH england no longer has to suffer for Europe lol
well because they like to twist the story to their narrative it does not mean
that things are like that

they were kicked out
and the celebrated as if they choose not to participate lol

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
^^ It's like a history paper written by a student who spent the entire semester texting under the desk.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's "slightly" more complex:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...w-much-does-Britain-pay-to-the-EU-budget.html

TLDR:

None of the big contributors to the EU, Germany, Farnce, Italy, UK "gets more back" than they contribute, although EU proponents argue that ultimately the gains from being in the common market make good for the contributions. The majority of the "smaller" remaining EU nations actually contribute less but get more back.

As I suspected. So the county that's in a panic over their leave vote expected the UK to fund their assistance after leaving the EU. Now it appears that assistance may or may not be forthcoming and they want to reverse their vote so someone else will continue to pay their bills.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014

I'd believe you, except that your analogy is technically incorrect. The official name of the abbreviations "US" or "USA" is the United States of America. You can check the Constitution or look at any of our currency. The name United States is a convenient term used, because it is shorter.

ALIVE

Golden Member
May 21, 2012
Reminds me of John Connor for some reason :cool:

people
instead of arguing about the information given
you argue about the way it was given

why on earth you enter in discussions anyway??

you debate what people say
not how they say it

but thats the new american way now???
not address the arguments attack the person
you are bad because you smell funny
not because you have invalid arguments or your information is wrong

GEE when europe thinks you can not go any lower
you suprice us

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
people
instead of arguing about the information given
you argue about the way it was given

why on earth you enter in discussions anyway??

you debate what people say
not how they say it

but thats the new american way now???
not address the arguments attack the person
you are bad because you smell funny
not because you have invalid arguments or your information is wrong

GEE when europe thinks you can not go any lower
you suprice us

You claimed GB had to became UK to join EU. You have yet to prove your point since (conventional) wisdom says Jan 1, 1801, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland was born and that was the first use of UK.

ALIVE

Golden Member
May 21, 2012
You claimed GB had to became UK to join EU. You have yet to prove your point since (conventional) wisdom says Jan 1, 1801, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland was born and that was the first use of UK.

thee embassy in Kiew Ukraine read
Great Britain Embassy

so they did not have the time to change the sign thsi 200 years????
if the name officially was change in 1801 as you say why the embassy says GB??

because Ukraine is out of reach of the union and they found no reason to change the sign.

i even asked the locals and they told me for Ukrainian the name is Great Britain and one student that traveled outside Ukraine told me i was so confused that all called it UK

or you want to tell me for ukraine the north Ireland people have a separate embassy :p

Because for something change 200 years ago it still USED TO MUCH and also in official capacity??

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
thee embassy in Kiew Ukraine read
Great Britain Embassy

so they did not have the time to change the sign thsi 200 years????
if the name officially was change in 1801 as you say why the embassy says GB??

because Ukraine is out of reach of the union and they found no reason to change the sign.

i even asked the locals and they told me for Ukrainian the name is Great Britain and one student that traveled outside Ukraine told me i was so confused that all called it UK

or you want to tell me for ukraine the north Ireland people have a separate embassy :p

Because for something change 200 years ago it still USED TO MUCH and also in official capacity??

Are you referring to this? The embassey in Ukraine was established in 1992. How does that fit your conspiracy theory?

british_embassy_kyiv_logo.png

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
As I suspected. So the county that's in a panic over their leave vote expected the UK to fund their assistance after leaving the EU. Now it appears that assistance may or may not be forthcoming and they want to reverse their vote so someone else will continue to pay their bills.
Yup. They're stupid for voting to leave, but then again, the Leave camp misled them as well.