UK Teachers union: Homework makes kids "unhappy and anxious"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think some homework is OK. However, I dont think it should be turned in or graded. Some kids are about brainless when it comes to turning in homework. Just give a quiz once a week to check how they are doing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The teacher's union isn't arguing to do away with all homework... nor is anyone here that I can see. I think certain tasks benefit greatly from repetition... mastering math problems is most easily done by doing a whole load of them. (as far as I can tell at least). There are a lot of other skills that don't get nearly the same positives out of it though. I mean, how many stupid projects did you have to do for history class that involved gluing some stupid crap to posterboard, writing a retarded journal entry about a book, etc? Those jobs are just busywork that people hate. The world would likely be far better off without it.

This isn't a case of some idiots saying "HURR HURR BAN HOMEWORK", I think they are on to something so long as they don't take it too far.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Am I the only person here who hasn't the foggiest notion what the HELL Moonbeam is talking about?

jai6638

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2004
Dude... The homework given in the British system is much more than that in the US.. The homework given in the US is a joke and so I'd be worried if the American teacher's union said so.. For the older students in the British system, there's a lot of homework so I'm glad they're gonna reduce the workload.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
This seems to be a minority opinion around here, that?s nothing new for me, but I have to agree with their notion and the reason behind what they are doing.

Making the students resent and hate education is not a surefire way to make sure they become educated. Practice makes perfect, but that should already be covered among the 6 hours they spend in school every day, and checked with testing. If the kid passes the testing, who the f? cares how many hours a day were taken away from them in order to achieve that result?

I?m thinking the homework is needed for students who struggle with education. In other words, those with lower IQ or disabilities. In which case why do you want to ruin it for everyone due to the folly of a minority?

Exactly 50% of people have a lower than average IQ.

:laugh:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jai6638
Dude... The homework given in the British system is much more than that in the US.. The homework given in the US is a joke and so I'd be worried if the American teacher's union said so.. For the older students in the British system, there's a lot of homework so I'm glad they're gonna reduce the workload.

Yeah, and look what kind of morons our schools are pumping out. Do they really want to match us?

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I don't remember doing any homework. I'm sure I had some, everyone had homework, I'm just not entirely certain I ever did any of it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Am I the only person here who hasn't the foggiest notion what the HELL Moonbeam is talking about?

I doubt like shit you are. You were probably educated in school and no know nothing like most people. Just go to Goolle and type in 'Follow your bliss' and read the first link that comes up.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Train
My guess is they are probably hiding the fact that poor education systems are failing kids, and are now saying homework doesnt help kids learn. I say thats BS.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080312/024459514.shtml
Teachers' Union Debating Ending Homework For Students

from the ah,-if-only-I-were-a-kid-again... dept

In the past few years, we've seen quite a few reports suggesting that homework doesn't help kids learn along with some other reports questioning traditional learning techniques. However, it's still a bit surprising for it reach the level where a teachers' union in the UK is already considering a proposal to ditch homework for most younger students and drastically scale back how much there is for older students (found via Digg). The reasoning is a bit different. The older reports we saw pointed out that homework wasn't particularly effective at helping kids learn. The reasoning for this new proposal is that homework makes kids "unhappy and anxious" and that leads to stressed out kids and potential disciplinary problems. It would be interesting to see any actual research supporting one side or the other here. I think it's great that teachers aren't just assuming that homework must be good, since that's how it's always been done, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be done away with completely.

We need to stop babying these kids and worrying about thier mood and anxiety. Give them work, make them do it, and if they are sad about it, they will get over it. They need to be prepared for the real world.

If it doesn't help them learn why make them do it? So they learn that life is about doing useless things because someone wants you to?

We have a problem in modern society of kids not exercising their brains in creative ways like playing. Instead their activities are structured and arranged by their parents. If schools can give them more time to be independent, great.
Some classes need homework, but not all

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Won't argue against that, but perhaps one shoe size does not fit all. Besides, we do not know at what percentile a large volume of homework becomes necessary for education. I agree with the notion that at some percentile it becomes necessary, but I would argue in favor of reducing it for kids who have higher grades as to not reap the negative effects on everyone.

Education needs to be tailored to the student?s learning ability, and to address those who fail to learn as easily as others. Blanket solutions will only hurt those at the top of the class.

I agree, that's why my daughter is homeschooled, but she still does homework. Homework is a part of demonstrating that the lesson has been learned adequately.

That said, I never did homework when I was a kid, and my grades showed it. I only managed a B average through high school because I could ace the tests in my sleep. That doesn't mean homework wasn't necessary, it showed people I'm lazy. Which I am, LOL. Instilling a work ethic is just as important to children as being book smart is.

I hope that your daughter's math homeschooling isn't taught by you!

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I read this recentlyFinnish Education

Basically, finnish kids do both far less homework than american kids, and do far better on tests. Loading up kids with tons of useless homework is just a way to give the illusion of doing something while not actually doing anything.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

Won't argue against that, but perhaps one shoe size does not fit all. Besides, we do not know at what percentile a large volume of homework becomes necessary for education. I agree with the notion that at some percentile it becomes necessary, but I would argue in favor of reducing it for kids who have higher grades as to not reap the negative effects on everyone.

Education needs to be tailored to the student?s learning ability, and to address those who fail to learn as easily as others. Blanket solutions will only hurt those at the top of the class.

I agree, that's why my daughter is homeschooled, but she still does homework. Homework is a part of demonstrating that the lesson has been learned adequately.

That said, I never did homework when I was a kid, and my grades showed it. I only managed a B average through high school because I could ace the tests in my sleep. That doesn't mean homework wasn't necessary, it showed people I'm lazy. Which I am, LOL. Instilling a work ethic is just as important to children as being book smart is.

I hope that your daughter's math homeschooling isn't taught by you!

Go fuck yourself dipshit. I used average in the layman's sense. How many people talk about medians on a daily basis, you fucking pedantic prick.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Go fuck yourself dipshit. I used average in the layman's sense. How many people talk about medians on a daily basis, you fucking pedantic prick.

I'm guessing that you had to do some research! :laugh:

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: jai6638

Yeah, and look what kind of morons our schools are pumping out. Do they really want to match us?

Schools aren't pumping "morons". IMHO our popular culture of idiocy that corporate execs push onto kids along with horrible parents are the ones pumping out "morons". Kids are a reflection of their parents and the society at large. A kid who is dedicated and has supportive parents can achieve a lot in life with a public education. A kid who has no support system at home and has no great desire to learn will not get very far even if they are put in the most expensive private school in this nation.

As for homework...It is useful but it should not be mandatory. If the original lesson was taught correctly and made fun then homework becomes redundant. Especially if the follow up by class work already reinforces the main key concepts. Any homework given should be minimal at best.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: Train
My guess is they are probably hiding the fact that poor education systems are failing kids, and are now saying homework doesnt help kids learn. I say thats BS.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080312/024459514.shtml
Teachers' Union Debating Ending Homework For Students

from the ah,-if-only-I-were-a-kid-again... dept

In the past few years, we've seen quite a few reports suggesting that homework doesn't help kids learn along with some other reports questioning traditional learning techniques. However, it's still a bit surprising for it reach the level where a teachers' union in the UK is already considering a proposal to ditch homework for most younger students and drastically scale back how much there is for older students (found via Digg). The reasoning is a bit different. The older reports we saw pointed out that homework wasn't particularly effective at helping kids learn. The reasoning for this new proposal is that homework makes kids "unhappy and anxious" and that leads to stressed out kids and potential disciplinary problems. It would be interesting to see any actual research supporting one side or the other here. I think it's great that teachers aren't just assuming that homework must be good, since that's how it's always been done, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be done away with completely.

We need to stop babying these kids and worrying about thier mood and anxiety. Give them work, make them do it, and if they are sad about it, they will get over it. They need to be prepared for the real world.

If it doesn't help them learn why make them do it? So they learn that life is about doing useless things because someone wants you to?

We have a problem in modern society of kids not exercising their brains in creative ways like playing. Instead their activities are structured and arranged by their parents. If schools can give them more time to be independent, great.
Some classes need homework, but not all

I agree....When a activity is designed and viewed as play then it has reached it's highest degree of effectiveness as a teaching tool. For most kids (and adults ) learning ends when an activity is viewed as a chore and/or total bore.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
It is happening here as well. My sister recently started her teaching career. She cant give homework and some work she assigns cant be graded.

There are some very badly broken public schools.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

I'm guessing that you had to do some research! :laugh:

:cookie:

It's not for eating. It's for shoving up your ass sideways.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Originally posted by: piasabird
I think some homework is OK. However, I dont think it should be turned in or graded. Some kids are about brainless when it comes to turning in homework. Just give a quiz once a week to check how they are doing.

Ha, really? Do you really think the homework will be done then?

Look, there are just some things that cannot be taught and REINFORCED in the time frame given during school. Its called memorization and it needs reinforcement to take effect. Anyone who has ever taught a foreign language knows that

Now I am not advocating hours and hours of homework and certainly not in the younger grades, but there does need to be some. Besides it can help instill the values of responsibility and time management (both of which are already in short supply)

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
Having to go to school for 8 hours only to have 4 hours of homework when you get home is too much, imo. How many of you work 12 hours a day 5 days a week?

When I was in highschool, taking AP and gifted classes, sometimes I had 6 hours of homework. This made me hate school and learning.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What I have always hated is group projects. Just blah blah blah . . . Then I get to different jobs and I have yet to see anyone wanting to work with a group unless it benefitted them, or it was an effort to steal someone else's job.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Atreus21

I doubt like shit you are. You were probably educated in school and no know nothing like most people. Just go to Goolle and type in 'Follow your bliss' and read the first link that comes up.

Okay, I checked out the link you were talking about, and I don't think I understand the point you were trying to make.

It's pretty sad that you'll reflexively dismiss college-educated people as knowing nothing. At least they know how to commit to something and see it through to the end.

Farley2k

Jan 5, 2003
So far only Martin has even tried to present some evidence to support a position. Could those in favor of homework please show some evidence it works? Just something to back it up besides - "I did it", and the like.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre
This seems to be a minority opinion around here, that?s nothing new for me, but I have to agree with their notion and the reason behind what they are doing.

Making the students resent and hate education is not a surefire way to make sure they become educated. Practice makes perfect, but that should already be covered among the 6 hours they spend in school every day, and checked with testing. If the kid passes the testing, who the f? cares how many hours a day were taken away from them in order to achieve that result?

I?m thinking the homework is needed for students who struggle with education. In other words, those with lower IQ or disabilities. In which case why do you want to ruin it for everyone due to the folly of a minority?

:laugh:

Gah I hate it when people say that. Only 50% have less than the average so long as the Median is also the average (A normal distribution). Luckily for you the, Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale regularly adjust the tests so the median is 100.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava
Gah I hate it when people say that. Only 50% have less than the average so long as the Median is also the average (A normal distribution). Luckily for you the, Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale regularly adjust the tests so the median is 100.
I've also read that they used to move it up every year, with the peak of civilized intelligence being in the late 80's to early 90's. It's been going down every year since.