UK says it can prove "categorically" Iraq intends to use chemical weapons

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Hi,

"UK says it can prove "categorically" Iraq intends to use chemical weapons"

Just got that from the BBC - link

So, please - what is the evidence!!!!!!!!

They list the discovery of NBC type suits as saying this proves that they are prepared for a chemical attack - but that's not what the headline says. I quote:

"We already knew from Iraqi prisoners of war that protective equipment was issued to southern Iraqi divisions.

British forces have made significant discoveries in recent days which show categorically that Iraqi troops are prepared for the use of such horrific weapons".

I'm so sick of being told only what's claimed and not what the underlying information is. I hope there's some clarification very soon.

Andy

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
The Brits finding 3,000 chemical suits and 10,000 doses of atropine(nerve gas antidote) hidden in a hospital may have something to do with that announcement.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The evidence comes when they are used against the troops. That is how it has to be played out. I expect to see it soon. I have always thought Saddam had them. Frickin Serbia has them for crying out loud. My contention from the start is that they were there for defensive purposes. Well we sure as hell provided a reason under that criteria. What a screw up.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Crazyfool
The Brits finding 3,000 chemical suits and 10,000 doses of atropine(nerve gas antidote) hidden in a hospital may have something to do with that announcement.

Sure - but the headline says they can prove categorically that Iraq plan a chemical attack. From the dictionary (see webster) "categorically" means "absolutely" and I don't see that. They should have said.

"We see evidence that Iraq is prepared for a chemical attack" rather than "we can prove categorically that Iraq is going to use chemical weapons against us". It smacks of propaganda.

Andy

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Perhaps, but Iraq doesnt trust us either. These would be issued whether they had them or not. Not proof. They will have to be used for definite proof.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
The evidence comes when they are used against the troops. That is how it has to be played out. I expect to see it soon. I have always thought Saddam had them. Frickin Serbia has them for crying out loud. My contention from the start is that they were there for defensive purposes. Well we sure as hell provided a reason under that criteria. What a screw up.

Sure. So if you can't "categorically" prove it unless it happens - don't claim to have absolute proof. I hate the way black and white way this is being spun by the politicians/media - I know why they do it and I don't like it. :|

Andy

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I suppose we will have to wait until he gets desperate enough to use them.

Right now, Saddam is probably stupid enough to think he can win over the coalition forces. When he realizes that the end is inevitable and he can't win then we might see some really crazy stuff like chemical weapons. Hopefully he is dead already and it won't come to this.

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
Right now Saddam's stupidity is definitely a bonus to coalition efforts. Apparently he still erroneously believes that some third party nation(s) will step in and pressure the U.S. to end this conflict, so he's playing the role of Mr. Nice Guy to make that happen.

Once troops reach the outskirts of Baghdad I'm guessing Saddam will say "The hell with this charade..." and go apesh*t. Chem/bio attacks, dressing up his army in U.S./UK uniforms to attack civilians on camera and frame the coalition for it, terrorist attacks outside of Iraq, etc. Will probably get pretty nasty in there.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider

Perhaps, but Iraq doesnt trust us either. These would be issued whether they had them or not. Not proof. They will have to be used for definite proof.

I think finding stocks of them would be definite proof