UK bans "violent" advertisement

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Is this even a British government authority? According to their website, they are an independent, non-governmental body.

You are correct, which makes me wonder how they can enforce a ban?

You may find it hard to believe but the government doesn't have authority over everything over here.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: WelshBloke
Is this even a British government authority? According to their website, they are an independent, non-governmental body.

You may find it hard to believe but the government doesn't have authority over everything over here.

Tell that to the Queen.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

That advert isn't b& they have just put restrictions on when it can be shown. As its an 18 rated game I don't see the problem.

This is the second time that you've posted it's only a retriction on WHEN it can be shown.

Please read this portion:

?We considered the ad was likely to be seen as encouraging and condoning violence. Because the issues raised by the ad could not be addressed with a timing restriction, we considered the only solution was to withdraw the ad from transmission completely.?

Reading comprehension FTW!

Fern

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Tell that to the Queen.

Ummm the queen doesn't actually have any political power in the UK.

(I'm a republican and would like to get rid of them but for other reasons)

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Tell that to the Queen.

Ummm the queen doesn't actually have any political power in the UK.

(I'm a republican and would like to get rid of them but for other reasons)

It's a joke.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern

That advert isn't b& they have just put restrictions on when it can be shown. As its an 18 rated game I don't see the problem.

This is the second time that you've posted it's only a retriction on WHEN it can be shown.

?We considered the ad was likely to be seen as encouraging and condoning violence. Because the issues raised by the ad could not be addressed with a timing restriction, we considered the only solution was to withdraw the ad from transmission completely.?

Fern

Well as the original complaint was that it was before the watershed and I am fairly drunk I shall let myself off.

Still dont see the difference between US and UK though.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Yeah, it's mostly one of degree.

I'm sure some scenes from, say Saw III, wouldn't be allowed to run as a general advert during the daytime.

As far as boobs, taht's a fair point. I recall living in Paris and seeing them allover in adverts - Bus stops and in the yellow pages (haha usually in the ads for plumbers).

Fern

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Fern

Well as the original complaint was that it was before the watershed and I am fairly drunk I shall let myself off.

The UK, similar to many other European countries, routinely bans movies, games, etc. Not restrict, but outright ban. Games cannot be sold if they don't pass the censors. Movies cannot be shown.

The government controls culture there. The people do not.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
You are what you eat. If all you ever see is shit you become shit. Is not a Nanny state that knows some differences between shit and wholesome better than a state which allows you to be stuffed with violence and shit in order to sell you what you don't need?

Give me freedom so I can have my mind polluted by every con artist psychometric focus group scum bag who wants to use my sick psychological needs against me or give me escape from my physic death.

We control our children, why not our adults who are mentally infantile in development?

In a free society of equals we must maintain the inequalities that lead some to fame and glory and the huge majority as sheep to be preyed on, damn it.

I don't need no fucking government to control my fucking ego. It's my right to suck the life created by other sewers.

Be careful what you wish for Moonie. If put to a vote, the majority would probably find you a mental infant and incapable of making your own choices. This country would force you into Christianity, for your own good of course.

I'm not really wishing for anything. Just raising some questions. I just think that real freedom only works when there's a corresponding real education. I don't think the gullible and ignorant should be treated as pray by cunning individuals. We are our brother's keeper and that requires knowledge and responsibility and good morals. Everything is a substitute for real internalized ethics and where they exist no government at all is needed.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Fern

The UK, similar to many other European countries, routinely bans movies, games, etc. Not restrict, but outright ban. Games cannot be sold if they don't pass the censors. Movies cannot be shown.

The government controls culture there. The people do not.

routinely
?