Uh, hello DELL...is there anyone there?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
About 16 hours ago, I bought a monitor (2407WFP) from Dell's website.

I received a "We got your order" confirmation email, but nothing else since then...and their site shows NO ORDERS have been placed by me. :confused:

The email states "What's Next? You will receive an Order Confirmed email shortly with your customer number, order number(s), estimated ship date and final purchase amount."

I've gotten nothing and my CC has not been charged. I buy stuff on the net every week and my CC is always charged within 15 minutes.

Is this normal for Dell? :confused:

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Dell is slow. And it was Friday when you placed that order... so don't expect to hear back from them until at least after the weekend.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks guys, I feel a little better.

But darn...not hear from them until Monday? Shoot, I want the thing on my desk by Monday! ;)

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Dell is getting to big for their britches, and slacking on the very ease of use and customer service that made them popular. I don't want tech support from a guy I can't understand. I don't want automated email replies for everything I send in. I don't want to be able to build the same computer from two different starting points and get two drastically different prices.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Safeway
Dell is getting to big for their britches, and slacking on the very ease of use and customer service that made them popular.
They got popular by being cheap.
I don't want tech support from a guy I can't understand.
Then pony up for something other than the bargain basement support plans. You get what you pay for. Wednesday I spoke to a very polite and well-trained Canadian girl who helped me track down a faulty wireless card in a laptop. Thursday I spoke to a friendly guy in Texas who got me a replacement drive for a server by the end of the day.
I don't want automated email replies for everything I send in.
You don't? Really? Personally I like to know that they're receiving what I'm sending.
I don't want to be able to build the same computer from two different starting points and get two drastically different prices.
Here's an easy way to prevent that...buying for your home? Use their Home Store. Buying for a business? Use the Small Business or other appropriate business store.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
12 hours ago! This is getting ridiculous. What next, if they don't respond within the hour we're gonna start gettin' all huffy?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: loup garou
Originally posted by: Safeway
Dell is getting to big for their britches, and slacking on the very ease of use and customer service that made them popular.
They got popular by being cheap.
I don't want tech support from a guy I can't understand.
Then pony up for something other than the bargain basement support plans. You get what you pay for. Wednesday I spoke to a very polite and well-trained Canadian girl who helped me track down a faulty wireless card in a laptop. Thursday I spoke to a friendly guy in Texas who got me a replacement drive for a server by the end of the day.
I don't want automated email replies for everything I send in.
You don't? Really? Personally I like to know that they're receiving what I'm sending.
I don't want to be able to build the same computer from two different starting points and get two drastically different prices.
Here's an easy way to prevent that...buying for your home? Use their Home Store. Buying for a business? Use the Small Business or other appropriate business store.
/thread

Edit: Actually, a comment on that last part. I'd say that if you're spending the money on something expensive, then just configure it at both stores and see what the prices come out to be. They are seperate from each other and so their promotions probably won't be the same. If it's for home, purchase through the home section, and tell them that you want the same price as you're being offered in the business section, chances are that they'll match it.

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: MichaelD

But darn...not hear from them until Monday? Shoot, I want the thing on my desk by Monday! ;)

hahaaha on your desk by monday ya say? Fat chance with their 2 week "order processing".

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: TheoPetro

hahaaha on your desk by monday ya say? Fat chance with their 2 week "order processing".

:( Well, I guess I don't have a choice, really. As long as I get an A04 revision (out since end-February it seems) I'll be happy.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Normal. I would be worried if you didn't receive your order acknowledgement e-mail but you did.

Sometimes they'll ship it before your order confirmation e-mail is sent. Just wait for them to do their thing.

How much was it and did you have to pay sales tax?

tasmanian

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Normal. I would be worried if you didn't receive your order acknowledgement e-mail but you did.

Sometimes they'll ship it before your order confirmation e-mail is sent. Just wait for them to do their thing.

I went to dell and checked out the monitor. 629 big ones.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Baloo
12 hours ago! This is getting ridiculous. What next, if they don't respond within the hour we're gonna start gettin' all huffy?

I found it really odd that my CC hasn't been charged. Everything's automatic these days. I buy something from Newegg (for example) and my CC is charged within 15-30 minutes of placing the order.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: tasmanian
Originally posted by: RossMAN

I went to dell and checked out the monitor. 629 big ones.

With free shipping. :) They are running a special (no idea when it ends); $70 off regular price PLUS free 3-5 day shipping (normally $35 for the shipping). So, at $105 off regular total price, I think I did OK. :)

I'm assuming I don't have to pay sales tax as it didn't ring up any tax on my final price...though I've not gotten that "final purchase amount" email from them. :roll:

I mean crap, it's all automated these days...I get final emails from Mom&Pop etailers within hours.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Baloo

I found it really odd that my CC hasn't been charged. Everything's automatic these days. I buy something from Newegg (for example) and my CC is charged within 15-30 minutes of placing the order.
I'd imagine there's a reason for it not charging right away - maybe they have a batch of processes that go on at the start of each day, M-F, and it'll be charged at that time? Maybe something fraud related?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: LukFilm
If you are BL'ed, you'll get Order Acknowledgment, but nothing else ;) :p

Hehheheh, maybe they remember me from my work. We have two of their rebadged EMC SANs and they are crap...I call Dell at least once a month for parts/support.

Great monitors, crappy everything else.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Edit: Actually, a comment on that last part. I'd say that if you're spending the money on something expensive, then just configure it at both stores and see what the prices come out to be. They are seperate from each other and so their promotions probably won't be the same. If it's for home, purchase through the home section, and tell them that you want the same price as you're being offered in the business section, chances are that they'll match it.
Oh, I have no problem checking out both Home & SB for personal purchases (and their outlet counterparts), but I recognize the official capacity both stores exist for, so I don't complain about it! ;)