Ugly errors, completely unusable

John Williams

Dec 30, 2007
My computer is causing me some ugly headaches. I shut it down last night like always, but when I loaded it up, I got a Generic Host Process error. It is a new error. I pasted the exact error details below. Once the error popped up, nothing would run. It didn't exactly lock up, but nothing would launch, open windows wouldn't close, the taskbar was distorted, and so on. Nothing has been changed on the system since the previous reboot.

I have since:

Disabled all non-MS services
Disabled all startup items
Reinstalled my drivers
Tried two different restore points (two days ago and one week ago)
Swapped out the RAM for some other RAM I had that works with this mobo

I can run in safe mode as either the administrator or as a user and it doesn't cause any problems, but if I launch it normally, it gives me ten or twenty seconds and then brings up the same error again.

I am running:
ASUS K8N 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ ClawHammer 1.8GHz Socket 754 Single-Core Processor
2GB Corsair XMS3200 RAM
Nvidia 6800GT
Windows XP Pro, fully updated
Nothing is overclocked. This isn't my performance machine, it is my utility machine - browsing, media, email, office, etc.

I can't reformat at this point, as my second machine is currently down (see my other thread), meaning that all of the data from that machine is on this one, and it would take me a six foot stack of blank DVDs to back it all up.

This is the error itself.

What is going on?

John Williams

Dec 30, 2007
Since the last post, I've done a full spyware check, a full thorough virus check, completely removed my soundcard and all drivers, and done scans of my hard drives.

It still errors within a few seconds of boot and cripples the machine.

Ghouler

Sep 9, 2005
do registry scan.

you made me read up on svchost.exe process that is showing multiple times in my task manager... Apparently it might be a trojan.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
Since the last post, I've done a full spyware check, a full thorough virus check,
I don't know what you used, but all your problems point to some kinda Cootie.

If you used freeware programs, ramp it up a notch and run a few online virus scans. Try F-Secure, BitDefender and ESET.