Ughh... my 4th MS Intellimouse died. Think they'll get suspicious if I RMA it?

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
It'll be the 4th time I RMA a mouse to MS within 1 years time.
The mouse that broke was an replacement Explorer 3.0 that they sent me. Lasted at most 8 months?

Think they'll get suspicious if I try to RMA yet another mouse?
i.e. think I'm abusing their no hassle, nothing to send back RMA procedure?

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
As long as its broken, I don't see why not. I'm sure they often varify the mouse isn't working, and probable cause of it. As long as you didn't run it over with a car, or had improper use, I can't see them refusing.

Whats wrong with your mice? I've had my Intellimouse Optical (old school) for at least 3-4 years, and I havn't had to replace it.

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
No, you're not abusing their procedure, cause their mice suck. My MS mouse died within a year so I got a MX700 :D

Bill

Warthog912

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
nah, maybe you just got a bad batch or something-

on the otherhand, they could ask you what it is you "actually do" with your mouse, just tell em' that you take it out on dates every so often. That'll shut em up.

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
I had a 1.0 explorer that died, after 1 year, and have been using my 3.0 for like 2 years now on my secondary machine.

how long is the warrenty for these anyway?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I think the issue is that you didn't get a Logitech mouse in the 1st place.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Actaeon
As long as its broken, I don't see why not. I'm sure they often varify the mouse isn't working, and probable cause of it. As long as you didn't run it over with a car, or had improper use, I can't see them refusing.

Whats wrong with your mice? I've had my Intellimouse Optical (old school) for at least 3-4 years, and I havn't had to replace it.

That's the thing. They DON'T verify whether it's broken or not.
They just ask for the serial and send you a new one.
That's why I'm afraid they'll think I'm defrauding them.

I have 5 PC's at home, and they all have MS mice.
I didn't break all 4 on one machine. Each PC gets constant usage.
2 of them were the old school huge Intellimouse Explorer's.

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002
The warranty is pretty good. I warrantied a 4 year old intellimouse explorer 1.0 .. old-skool style. :)

I also warrantied a natural keyboard pro ... no problems there either. they sent me a new natural multimedia keyboard. :)

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: blazert40
I think the issue is that you didn't get a Logitech mouse in the 1st place.

Tool
rolleye.gif

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
the Explorer 2.0's are crap, everyone I know with a 2.0 has had it fail, we all cheated and swapped em out for 3.0's at Best Buy (yes I know I'm a bad Llama) but now myself and the 2 others that swapped have had our 3.0's since the month they were released and they are still fine.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: LAUST
the Explorer 2.0's are crap, everyone I know with a 2.0 has had it fail, we all cheated and swapped em out for 3.0's at Best Buy (yes I know I'm a bad Llama) but now myself and the 2 others that swapped have had our 3.0's since the month they were released and they are still fine.

Wait, I actually think it's the 3.0.
I think they skipped the 2.0 and went from the huge original to the 3.0.
The 2.0 is the wireless one.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: psteng19

you could be right, The one's we had were those big one's with the really round side buttons, I know for sure ours is the 3.0 now (6000 polls a sec)

Bummer you have had that many go bad.. myself and a few friends have had good luck.. Definantly RMA it. Sounds like you are maybe just getting unlucky with the lemons

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
wait a second, i have a ms natural keyboard that stopped working. does that mean i can call ms and tell them and they'll send me a new one?

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: psteng19

you could be right, The one's we had were those big one's with the really round side buttons, I know for sure ours is the 3.0 now (6000 polls a sec)

Bummer you have had that many go bad.. myself and a few friends have had good luck.. Definantly RMA it. Sounds like you are maybe just getting unlucky with the lemons

Actually, I've had 2 Explorer original's (big clunky ones) go bad... I'll call those the 1.0's.
1 Intellimouse Optical 1.0 (the symmetrical one with 1 button on each side)
and now 1 Explorer 3.0, so it's not all the 3.0's dying on me.
This is the first one.

Vinny N

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2000
Ugh, I'm dying to replace this Explorer 3.0.

The wheel keeps rolling up or down one notch every so often on its own (broken sensor?), but it's not reproducable enough.

If I ever had to do any FPS gaming with the mouse I'd flip out if my weapon randomly changed because of it.

The thing...I've had this problem with 2 other wheelmouse, including a first gen logitech optical (I ended up removing the spring that locks the wheel, but have sinced passed that onto my grandma) and the now discontinued intellimouse optical (which now behaves better since the wheel has been "worked on") but is dying an electronic death (mouse goes dead sometimes and replugging it doesn't always bring it back).

I hate all wheel mice because of this and probably no one else has this problem :(

I've only had one wheel work properly and that was on an early PS/2 logitech ball mouse with wheel.
The other ones I've had work properly for me were also ball mice...the original design MS Intellimouse, the MS Trekker OEM mouse.

The Explorer 3.0 wheel problem doesn't happen if I disable scrolling with the wheel...but then what's the point of wheel?! :(
If I had enough patience to let the mouse sit with the mousinfo.exe program I'm sure it'd show Z values on its own.

TheAudit

Diamond Member
May 2, 2003
Originally posted by: aRCeNiTe
No, you're not abusing their procedure, cause their mice suck. My MS mouse died within a year so I got a MX700 :D

Bill

I just bought an MX 700 and I love it.
I've never had any problems with Logitech mice or their keyboards.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Vinny_N

The wheel keeps rolling up or down one notch every so often on its own (broken sensor?), but it's not reproducable enough.

If I ever had to do any FPS gaming with the mouse I'd flip out if my weapon randomly changed because of it.

The thing...I've had this problem with 2 other wheelmouse, including a first gen logitech optical (I ended up removing the spring that locks the wheel, but have sinced passed that onto my grandma) and the now discontinued intellimouse optical (which now behaves better since the wheel has been "worked on") but is dying an electronic death (mouse goes dead sometimes and replugging it doesn't always bring it back).

I hate all wheel mice because of this and probably no one else has this problem :(

I've only had one wheel work properly and that was on an early PS/2 logitech ball mouse with wheel.
The other ones I've had work properly for me were also ball mice...the original design MS Intellimouse, the MS Trekker OEM mouse.

The Explorer 3.0 wheel problem doesn't happen if I disable scrolling with the wheel...but then what's the point of wheel?! :(
If I had enough patience to let the mouse sit with the mousinfo.exe program I'm sure it'd show Z values on its own.

You've got issues....

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Hmmm. My MS optical wheel mouse is going on at least 3 years, IIRC. It's just the basic one with a wheel and two buttons.

I've had the scroll wheel "flip out" a few times, but every time it does, I've found that the wheel was stuck halfway between its detents. I move the wheel a click and it stops. I've noticed that the detents seem to be getting weaker though, so it's been happening with greater frequency over the past several months.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Damn, what the hell are you doing to these things?

I have four of them (3.0's) on my PCs at home and I have never had a problem with them. I did have a 1.0 break on me years ago, but they replaced it and the replacement still works.

TekViper

Jul 1, 2001
is there a warrenty on microsoft intellimouse with ball and scroll wheel? will they replace those too?

mee987

Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Vinny_N

my intellimouse 3.0 used to do the same thing with the mousewheel just randomly scrolling the screen a bit without the wheel physically moving. but now the wheel is even more messed up, its gotten really hard to roll. it gets worse all the time, now its really hard to roll the wheel without clicking the MMB.

anyone have the more direct 800 # to replace MS hardware? the online tech support thing isnt working right and id rather not have to call the general tech support line (not toll free, plus ill probably be redirected several times before talking to the right person)

xxAgentCowxx

Jan 26, 2003
just wait until they come out with hand sensors that you wave around in the air like in minority report :)