Ugh! This cat has done NOTHING but hide, puke and not eat/dink for nearly 3 days!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Homerboy, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Homerboy

Homerboy Lifer

Well it's damned near impossible to stop him. He's been doing it for years.

2. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Cats seem to like stolen water for some reason. Mine will drink from a bowl, but they much prefer the water out of my glass. They also like drinking from the faucet.

3. WaTaGuMp

WaTaGuMp Lifer

Have you tried an exorcism?

4. Homerboy

Homerboy Lifer

TOTALLY agreed. The other cat is the faucet and glass bandit. You can't leave a glass of water unattended, and I can not tell you how many times I have caught him in the bathroom liking the faucet!

5. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

Did the vet do any blood work?

6. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

7. Homerboy

Homerboy Lifer

It was offered, but his recommendation was that at this point, it wasn't overly necessary. Would it hurt? no. Was it NEEDED at this point? No.

Does it look like come Monday I will be back there for another $50 visit + $140 for the blood work? Yes.

8. Homerboy

Homerboy Lifer

Had one. Cats sorta liked it (Better than a bowl) but they still hawked the toilet and faucets. In the long run we tossed it as it just wasn't worth the upkeep (cleanings, filters etc) since they still overly used "other sources"

9. Azraele

Azraele Elite Member

He hasn't had anything to eat or drink in 3 days and is constantly vomiting. Do not wait until Mon. At least call the vet to see if he has any recommendations or if there is something you can give to settle his stomach and at least get him comfortable. Please don't just sit back and watch him suffer. Some vets will work out payment plans.

10. WilliamM2

WilliamM2 Golden Member

Really? We just close the toilet lid to stop our cats from drinking from it, I know dog owners that do the same thing. Seems pretty easy to me, and no where near impossible.

11. Homerboy

Homerboy Lifer

Do you have a 11 and 8 year old that don't always remember to do so at 3am when they get up to take a pee smart-ass?

And for what it is worth, everything I have ever read/heard says that it is ok for a cat/dog to drink from a toilet.

#36 Homerboy, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  12. Homerboy

Homerboy Lifer

FYI, called the vet just a few mins ago. He took more or less the same stance: we can still do blood work, get him on antibitoics or still wait it out. He asked about the gums and the skin to make sure he wasn't dehydrated or anything (I checked both are still seemingly a-ok). I'm thinking maybe Rico is sneaking drinks at night or something. He was incredibly active at night (as most cats are) and he seems to be making his "big moves" every evening.

13. Azraele

Azraele Elite Member

I hope kitty feels better soon. Take him off regular food and put him on bland. You might want to start by just offering water to give his stomach a change to settle down.

Kinda like BRAT diet in people. Boiled chicken mixed with some rice if he'll eat the rice. Small amounts (like a teaspoon) and wait to see if it stays down. If not, take up food, give his tummy a good while to settle.

Poor guy sounds REALLY sick. :( I don;t know many vets who would be comfortable waiting and seeing after 3 days. After a day, sure, but three???? At this point, his liver could be in trouble, and blood work would be a GREAT idea. It would also give cell counts so you'd know if it's an infection you're dealing with, or perhaps a foreign body that the vet can't feel through palpitation.

14. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

My cat had a phase like that a couple months or so ago. She still occasionally pukes but not as much as before. In my case she WAS eating though, it's just that she ate too fast and then puked it all up. Long story short, got bloodwork, urine test and whole 9 yards done with nothing found and 600+ bucks later. Turns out she was just eating too fast. I put golf balls in her bowl to make it harder to eat and it slows her down. The vet suggested it. Failing that, a toy you put food in and they play with it and the pebbles come out.

Is there the possibility the cat is finding other sources of food? Mine resorts to paper if she finishes her bowl and I'm not around to fill it. Gift tishue paper is her favorite, I can't keep any of that stuff in the house, she WILL find it. Her second favorite would be thermal paper used for receipts though thankfully she likes her food more than that. And let's not get started with envelopes with glue. Silly drug addict cat lol. So yeah I have to watch what I leave lying around.

15. neit

neit Senior member

It sounds like an intestinal blockage, but I haven't figured out of your cat has pooped or not. If not, maybe give him an enema. I had to do a few for my cat when she was xrayed and had a huge blockage, thank god it worked!

Go to walmart, ask the pharmacist for a 2-3cc syringe, get some mineral oil laxative (make sure laxative and not baby oil, it has no additives), mix with water 50/50, shake the syringe up and put it in. I did 3 of them q4 hours and they didn't work. The mineral oil acts as a softener, after the 3rd one we waited a couple hours and made one with water and a drop of dishwashing soap. Dishwashing soap is irritating to the bowels and makes them move to push everything out, but you have to make sure they aren't pushing against a hard impacted mass since that can cause severe pain.

I found this when searching for cat enema:
    http://www.catenema.com/catenema.com/cat.html

16. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Lock him in a room so you can monitor food and water intake as well as litter box.

17. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

OP has one of THOSE cats. :(

18. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

I had a cat that would not dink. It deaded the vey thought of dinking.

19. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Shut up you slut!

20. Number1

Number1 Diamond Member

It's a witing impedement. Unfotunaty, theyre is kno cure.

21. Azraele

Azraele Elite Member

How is the kitty today?

22. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

ftfy.

23. Juddog

Juddog Diamond Member

My cat had similar signs, then she died 4 days later. OP get a second opinion, go to a different vet if you have to!

24. Howard

Howard Lifer

Eyes of Sauron! Beware!

25. WaTaGuMp

WaTaGuMp Lifer