ugh - never show mrs a thinkpad carbon

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by EvanAdams, Dec 16, 2012.

1. EvanAdams

EvanAdams Senior member

because now she wants one.

bleah

She has an old elitebook 6430p with XP so she is due but still....

Anyone have other ideas other than macs?

Primary need is a good keyboard since she is a lawyer.

2. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

She's your wife.

Buy it for Christmas

3. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

The Carbon X1 is very appealing, and only one thing keeps me from getting one . . . the drive is not user changeable. One must choose a HDD or SanDisk X100 SSD from Lenovo, and they do not offer what I want.

#3 corkyg, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  4. dave_the_nerd

What's so "ugh" about a Thinkpad carbon? Don't Thinkpads usually have good keyboards? They're certainly sexy enough.

If she types a lot, she should probably go to an Amazon Showroom like Best Buy and hammer out "A quick brown fox..." a few times to see which KB she likes best.

5. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

If I had the money and the need, Thinkpad Carbon would right there on the top of my list

6. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

That's my question. She likes because it's awesome.

7. Sleepingforest

Sleepingforest Platinum Member

If the problem is price, you may be out of options for a laptop of comparable weight, preformance, and size. However, if you simply don't like Lenovo or Thinkpads, you can go with the UX31A Zenbook Prime.

You can also buy a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Blue keys, which are supposed to execellent for typing. She can plug it in via USB to the laptop, and keyboards aren't that heavy or big to carry around in a bag. I think this Rosewill or this Monoprice keyboard will work really well for typing.

8. Gillbot

Gillbot Lifer

Is it really not changeable, or is it you'll void your warranty not changeable? My Inspiron 17r isn't accessible by a simple door on the bottom but popping off the KB and top cover/palm rest allows it to be easily swapped, warranty be damned!

9. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

It uses a special reduced size SanDisk X100, and there is no door. It would require disassembly, and then there is nothing to change it to. A 256GB X100 adds $280 to the price. Configured as I would want it is very close to $2K. I will just smile and lust some more. :)

10. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

I'm a Lenovo guy to the core. But we did just outfit a firm last month with the new Thin & Light Vizio's. So far they luv 'em and they do look the part in and out of the office.

11. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Have they updated the Thin & Lights since launch? I heard that were kind of lackluster initially.