UGH! My HSF blocks my PCI-e 16x slot can I use the PCI-e 8x instead?

squirrelman

Jan 1, 2001
I am working on my new build right now and I am using a Gigabyte EP45-DS3R. My HSF, a Coolermaster Gemin II overlaps the PCI-e 16x slot so it doesn't seem a card would fit in there. Would it be ok to use the boards 8x PCI-e slot for the card? How much of a performance hit would I take? The card is an Nvidia 8800GS. As a little background i'd really prefer not to have to remove everything from the case and get a new HSF. Thanks.

squirrelman

Jan 1, 2001
I got it installed in there. Its a crossfire capable board I guess, I didn't pay any attention to this since I had planned on using an nvidia card.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Your board has no 8x slots. It has (2) 16x slots that both run @ 8x, when Crossfire is enabled. They both run @ 16x, even with a card in each of them, as long as Crossfire isn't enabled.;)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: myocardia
Your board has no 8x slots. It has (2) 16x slots that both run @ 8x, when Crossfire is enabled. They both run @ 16x, even with a card in each of them, as long as Crossfire isn't enabled.;)

Erm, that doesn't make sense. Either there is 16 physical lanes going to each slot, or there isn't. Whether or not crossfire mode is enabled should make no difference. I could see getting x16 with a single card in one or the other slot, but filling both slots should drop things down to x8 mode regardless.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Hmm, doesn't make sense, does it? Ahh well, I know for a fact that both slots are 16x, when used individually. I'm sure you're right about the rest, now that I think about it.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
why dont you just turn the GemII 90 degrees so everything fits? most boards wont let you put a graphics card in just the second slot from what i have seen, only the first slot.