Ugh.. i hate working on computers...... esp family.... Updated: Dead Mobo...

Oct 9, 1999
So over thanksgiving I was given a computer to swich the video card on. The last time i looked at it (a few weeks before thanksgiving), the computer would turn on and boot (hard drive would read for and stuff and it seemed like it was loading an OS.

Anyway my diag then was bad video card ..nothing on the monitor, the monitor worked fine with my laptop.

Anyway i connected it up the day after thanksgiving, and hit the button and would you know it.. it wouldnt turn on...

since i had to leave for school i had it on me, and her son got the video card on a few days later. I recently decided to look at it again (now that the holidays are almost over) and it still wont turn on.

The Mobo is getting power, and it wont turn on. I put a known good PSU and it doesnt work. I connected the power switch from another comptuer to the motherboard header.. and still it wont power up.

Any ideas?

Can transporting it cause it to die like this? its not giving even a wink about it starting.. no sound nothing..

Its a P2 based system, 450mhz i think with 128mb ram and a Soyo mobo. I am half mind to switch components with my other P2 system just to see if that computer will turn on.
I think i have to give the lady teh bad news, her puter is dead.

edit:

Dead Mobo... dont ask me how it died...

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I took that damn giant Dell printer w/o OS X drivers off my desk and replaced it with an Epson Stylus C84. Just FYI.

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred
I took that damn giant Dell printer w/o OS X drivers off my desk and replaced it with an Epson Stylus Color C84. Just FYI.

oh okay
I assume the C84 works with PC's
i dont care which one is available.. as long as I can print when i get back. :)

Lifer

Banned
Feb 17, 2003
plz post in the correct forum.
don't try to hide the true intention of this thread with a misleading title.
you know it's a technical support/general hardware type thread.

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: spanky
Originally posted by: The_good_guy
Originally posted by: spanky reseat the video card.
tried that.. no go.
is the case speaker hooked up? u getting any beep codes?

its dead.. i tell ya.. i press a button.. not a whirr not a moan, not a scream.. not even a beep..

it just wont turn on.

I orignally thought it was the power switch, but a power switch from another system doesnt work..
and hotwiring the connectors isnt working too.

BigJimbo

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Lifer
plz post in the correct forum.
don't try to hide the true intention of this thread with a misleading title.
you know it's a technical support/general hardware type thread.

go away

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Try resetting the CMOS. The botherboard is getting power... Does it boot at all? Give you any beeps to work with?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Jumper switch to reset the CMOS/BIOS back to factory defaults? (i.e. did it get hit with CIH at some point?)
Reseat/replace RAM?
Check video card in known good PC?

Better brush up on those troubleshooting skills. What made you think video card in the past?

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Jumper switch to reset the CMOS/BIOS back to factory defaults? (i.e. did it get hit with CIH at some point?) Reseat/replace RAM? Check video card in known good PC? Better brush up on those troubleshooting skills. What made you think video card in the past?

my testing diag was right before cause that video card wont power up on a known good PC.

the ram is good (brand new stick i put in) and the cmos has been reset by the jumper.

I am moving the processor to my old P2-400 as we speak

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
assuming it isn't the processor, try taking the entire thing out of the case and running it on a cardboard box, something might be shorting at the mobo.