ugh - didn't know faucets are that expensive :( at least $200

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
never realized how much over the sink faucets cost ... geez. Still need to get the hood, another $500 and the range which is another grand. :(

TheTony

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2005
Originally posted by: TheTony
Just curious...

Are there faucets that don't go over the sink?

Unless by "over the sink" you mean kitchen and/or bathroom.

No, they don't all cost that much. For specialty models/brands, very possibly, yes.

Aug 23, 2000
Glacier bay at HD, $20. It's a basic fixture. Shop around, they have some nice ones there for less than $100. If this is a house you're trying to sell, don't spend to much on the faucets because something you like a potential buyer wont.

If it is for your house that you are living in and will be living in for a while, IMHO I don't stare at the faucets so I get the lowest priced, quality piece i can find and save the money.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Be happy you're paying for good ones. C-sucker contractors that put our kitchen sink in went with bottom of the line, the el-cheapo $35 ones for our sink. We just replaced it with a $150 one cause it's been leaking ever since they put it in, but got a lot worse recently.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Shop around. Theres lowes, HD, amazon, eBay, and many other internet sites.

If he goes to any of the local home supply stores, he needs to make sure that all the parts are in the box. People will commonly steal everything and anything out of those boxes, not to mention taking them home, taking out the part they need, and returning it.

If you can, get a sealed box.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Yes, they are expensive. But some of the lesser known brands (no, not the el-cheapy brands) can be quite good for just under $100. Plus, the big home improvement stores have them on sale regularly.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Just curious...

Just look up the definition.
A device for regulating the flow of a liquid from a reservoir such as a pipe or drum...Spigot is a common variant for faucet and is widely used in the Midland U.S. Elsewhere, faucet is more commonly used, esp. in the Northern U.S...Spigot and faucet was the name of an old type of tap for a barrel or cask, consisting of a hollow, tapering tube, which was driven at the narrow end into a barrel, and a screw into the tube which regulated the flow of the liquid. Properly, it seems, the spigot was the tube, the faucet the screw, but the senses have merged or reversed over time. Faucet is now the common word in Amer.Eng. for the whole apparatus.
So, you have a faucet on the side of your house for watering your lawn. A faucet on the bottom of a coffee pot. A faucet to let water out of a fast food soft drink dispenser I could go on and on. Faucets are everywhere.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Stay away from the plastic (chrome plated) crap. Anything Moen or Delta will last an easy 30+ years. All Brass, Copper and Chrome...... Very solid builds :)

I have a 10 year old Moen Kitchen faucet and it still works and shines like new. So for me, it's Moen in every room that needs it, whether it's a faucet or a towel rod.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah its nuts. the one my wife wanted for the kitchen was $300 and the one for the bathroom tub was $600. talked her downa lot! heh.

spp

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2001
Originally posted by: LordSnailz
never realized how much over the sink faucets cost ... geez. Still need to get the hood, another $500 and the range which is another grand. :(

Just bought a house huh?? Congrats.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Shop around. Theres lowes, HD, amazon, eBay, and many other internet sites.

If he goes to any of the local home supply stores, he needs to make sure that all the parts are in the box. People will commonly steal everything and anything out of those boxes, not to mention taking them home, taking out the part they need, and returning it.

If you can, get a sealed box.

Yea me and my wife open EVERYTHING beofre we buy. Does not matter Costco, worstbuy, etc...

But for online it never seems to eb a problem as they don;t have people messing with it like a retail store.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
200 buys a nice faucet:p you can get by with much less
just stay away from plastic coated with fake chrome nonsense as said,that doesn't wear at all. installation is relatively easy most of the time for a plumbing job.
and yea nice ranges and stuff really add up the $$$
kitchen can be a real money sink hole if you want a nice one.

TheTony

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2005
Originally posted by: dullard
Just curious...

Just look up the definition.
A device for regulating the flow of a liquid from a reservoir such as a pipe or drum...Spigot is a common variant for faucet and is widely used in the Midland U.S. Elsewhere, faucet is more commonly used, esp. in the Northern U.S...Spigot and faucet was the name of an old;) type of tap for a barrel or cask, consisting of a hollow, tapering tube, which was driven at the narrow end into a barrel, and a screw into the tube which regulated the flow of the liquid. Properly, it seems, the spigot was the tube, the faucet the screw, but the senses have merged or reversed over time. Faucet is now the common word in Amer.Eng. for the whole apparatus.
So, you have a faucet on the side of your house for watering your lawn. A faucet on the bottom of a coffee pot. A faucet to let water out of a fast food soft drink dispenser I could go on and on. Faucets are everywhere.

Did you read my earlier reply? :roll:

Faucets everywhere? Amazing! :p;)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Home hardware like faucets can be rediculously expensive. We're redoing our small bathroom and its like 2 grand in materials and probably another 2 grand in labour. Thats a small bathroom, and nothing too fancy, regular tub, no whirlpool or anything.

But then got to think, how often do you buy a faucet or a bath tub. So guess they have to charge a lot since its infrequently purchased items.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: RedSquirrel

But then got to think, how often do you buy a faucet or a bath tub. So guess they have to charge a lot since its infrequently purchased items.

My company sells plenty of plumbing fixtures and the repair/remodel market is growing every year. The problem is that most people don't know how/where to shop for the big ticket items. They go to Lowes/HD and assume that's the best they can do.

Try a local wholesaler and see what they can do to you. These places know their exact cost and their bottom line sell price. You can haggle and will get better discounts than if you are buying 1 item. Also, accessories (supplies, stops, etc.) at these places will be much, much less than the big box stores. They also do better with special orders than the big box stores. (Hint: Lowes/HD get their special orders from the wholesale side too ;))

Another suggestion is to avoid the showrooms of these places unless you are looking for high-end stuff. Either try the will-call counter or call and ask for an inside salesman. They do not usually work on commission and will move more on price. You should also avoid delivery charges w/ wholesalers and most offer installation of appliances.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Check your local used restaurant supply house. You can save big bucks. If you live on either coast, it's a no brainer.