Question Ugh, Chrome again

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It's bad enough that Chrome doesn't work well at keeping tabs when you reboot. If I software reboot, it simply loses all tabs with no way to re-open them. So every time I want to reboot, I have to power off the PC and re-power it, and the cross my fingers that when I restart Chrome, it'll pop up with a 'restore tabs' button, and it'll work correctly.

I had about 50 tabs I've had open for months and wanted open. I was on a call and wanted to right click open new tab to right of the left-most tab I was in, which I use for e-mail, quickly for something, and tried to do it, but after clicking I saw that it actually said 'close all tabs to right'. I'd never even noticed that option existed before. And sure enough, a moment later, all my tabs were lost.

No way to re-open them. There is a 'history' option, which had a small number of arbitrary 'recently closed tabs' it would re-open, but after those few, that list was empty.

What a miserable interface and user experience.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Is Chrome even capable of opening 50 tabs at once? I use Firefox and open 7 tabs at once after I start Firefox and one never seems to load. 6 always worked fine though.

With Firefox I can create a bookmark folder and add my bookmarks. Then when open my browser I can go to that folder, right click it and choose open all in tabs and they open for me. I can also right click in an area beside the tabs and choose select all tabs and bookmark all selected tabs and give the folder a name to make that process easier. Not sure if this is an option for you or if Chrome has a similar feature.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Ya, these aren't tabs I want 'permanently' as bookmarks, but things I want to just keep open until I'm done with them at some point typically - things I'm reading, software keys to go through, sale pages I want to browse, whatever.

Steltek

Platinum Member
Mar 29, 2001
Have you tried Vivaldi? I've never had a problem with it not re-opening tabs when they are closed. You can also use the Session Buddy extension to back open tabs up so you can re-open a session easily if you have a crash.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Have you tried Vivaldi? I've never had a problem with it not re-opening tabs when they are closed. You can also use the Session Buddy extension to back open tabs up so you can re-open a session easily if you have a crash.
Thanks for that suggestion too. Never heard of it, I'll take a look.

ASK THE COMMUNITY