Ugh, absurd argument with my girlfriend.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
Don't sweat it. This argument is very low on the scale of stupid arguments to have with a woman. Trust me, if this is the stupidest argument that you have ever had with your woman, consider yourself lucky.

poopygood

Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: benchiu
Don't sweat it. This argument is very low on the scale of stupid arguments to have with a woman. Trust me, if this is the stupidest argument that you have ever had with your woman, consider yourself lucky.

thou speaketh the truth. :D

Vanstorm

Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: trmiv
Originally posted by: eakers
you never said in your original post that you decided on the time the night before...

What difference does that make? We agreed we were going, leaving at noon to go somewhere is not unreasonable. It's not too hard to use a little logic to figure out what time to leave.

Fish store opens at 11:00am, she works at 4:30pm. Fish store takes 30 minutes to get to. So, that means 1 hour travel time, there and back. So to go to the place, be able to look around for what we need, not have to rush back, and have time to eat lunch, leaving at around 12pm is a great time which allows us time to do the above, as well as giving her time to sleep in a bit. Apparently I was wrong.

It's not like I woke her up early. I've learned to deal with her liking to sleep late, but I gave her pleny of time to sleep. But, eventually she's going to have to get used to getting up early, she'll be a High School English teacher in about 5-6 months.

Assumptions can be very harmful to communication.

My take, from what I've read, is that you agreed to go the fish store together the night before.. no time was mentioned by either party. Apparently she assumed this meant after you were both awake you would go the store... whereas you apparently assumed this whole time schedule you laid out above. I wouldn't say that either of you is 'wrong', but neither of you communicated your desires/concerns very well. Obviously, I don't have the entire story, so that may or may not be the case... but that's the impression I get. A relationship has got to have some compromise (IE: I'll wait for you to get up when you want to today, and tomorrow we'll get up early and go shopping.. or something to that effect)

I dunno. My 2 cents. But, certainly doesn't sound like a big enough deal to consider kicking anyone to the curb. Lack of communication leads to un-voiced expectations, which leads to disappointment and hurt feelings, which can build walls if it isn't dealt with.

iliopsoas

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
well, you did have all day after she went to work to do it.

typical female response.

to original poster:
the fact is, she didn't go with you despite promising the previous day. she never stated that she wanted to do anything with you that day. she never communicated her intentions or interests and yet she EXPECTED you to know ahead of time what she wanted.

Typical mind games.

I've noticed alot of women like to do this. And they refuse to even consider it when we raise the issue. In their minds, they are always right and we are always wrong. Not all women are like this. But in this case, learn to live with it as it will NEVER change or ditch her.

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
From what I'm hearing, trmiv is right and his gf is wrong. I totally and completely disagree with eakers.

She said no twice to plans she had made in advance. No time was specified previously, but she got 2 notices the day of. Instead, she chose sleep over keeping her word. And now she expects him to completely and 100% accomodate her plans, because he should want to spend time with her so badly that he would do anything and ruin all plans for his day to do so. Buzz, wrong! Relationships should be based on compromise. They reached a compromise, even though the terms were unclear. When it came time to execute on their compromise, she refused to the terms. So they didn't understand each other. No one has the right to get mad.

And to turn the tables around, all the gf had to do was forfeit a few hours of sleep to spend EXTRA time with her bf. He woke her to tell her he wanted to spend time together. She wasn't even willing to do that, and instead chose to shorten the possible amount of time they had together for the day.

Well regardless, this sounds like a stupid argument. I hope that your gf is logical and you two can talk it through. But whatever the conclusion, you still have (had?) the rest of the night.

dfi

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: reprobate
You're shacked up with a girl that you didn't make a commitment to marry. You're in this relationship for the sex, what did you expect?

Oh yeah thats exactly it....I mean when I'm in a relationship just for the sex, I make sure to commit enough to let her MOVE IN....I mean what says "I don't care about you and I just want to nail you." than saying "hey, park your toothbrush next to mine and make sure us breaking up will be 10x more of a PITA".

I love these shining examples of alternate logic.
You have eakers who believes the logical thing for the guy to do was wait around, ignoring, and not getting upset about, the fact that his g/f DITCHED their plans so she could sleep till some ungodly hour, so he could spend time with her (wasnt that why he asked her to go in the first place?).

Then you have this guy who thinks the logical conclusion of this is, hes a player, and deserves whatever he gets. Nevermind we don't actually KNOW if he plans on marrying her, nevermind the obviousness of the situation (seriously, who lets their g/f move in if they are only after a piece?).

Think people, its not that hard. Its alot less fun that spitting out random jaded "factoids" based on your own extreme bias. But hey, in the end your less likely to be strangled.

melly

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
the point is that if he wanted to spend time with her he would have waited until after she went to work. by not waiting it showed he didn't want to spend time with her.

i see both sides and i realise men just dont think about stuff like this. he got in his head he was going to go at noon and didn't even stop to consider other options, so he went.

But he DIDN'T want to spend time with her, wtf does that have to do with anything--he asked if she wanted to go to the aquarium store.

Trmiv, my condolences to you, young girls are strange.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
you never said in your original post that you decided on the time the night before...

What difference does that make? We agreed we were going, leaving at noon to go somewhere is not unreasonable. It's not too hard to use a little logic to figure out what time to leave.

Fish store opens at 11:00am, she works at 4:30pm. Fish store takes 30 minutes to get to. So, that means 1 hour travel time, there and back. So to go to the place, be able to look around for what we need, not have to rush back, and have time to eat lunch, leaving at around 12pm is a great time which allows us time to do the above, as well as giving her time to sleep in a bit. Apparently I was wrong.

It's not like I woke her up early. I've learned to deal with her liking to sleep late, but I gave her pleny of time to sleep. But, eventually she's going to have to get used to getting up early, she'll be a High School English teacher in about 5-6 months.

Well there is the problem. I have yet to meet a famale english teacher who isn't either a frigid bitch, ignorant, or selfish.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well she's been home from work a couple of hours, and all is well. She didn't apologize or anything, neither did I, but she has been very nice. I think she realized she wasn't being very logical or nice earlier.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
She's being totally unreasonable.You both agreed on a plan,if she decided she needed to sleep more that's fine but you should have then just gone about your business as planned.Expecting somebody to sit around twiddling their thumbs while you sleep suggests a sense of grandiose entitlement that's not pretty and I'd let her know in very firm words that her attitude won't be tolerated.

I will though say this about the sleep thing in general,many times when a person is gearing up for huge life changes their sleep habits get disrupted in some way.Going from the life of dependent student to the prospect of having to not only be a full fledged adult but also a teacher might be stressing her out to the point that all she wants to do is sleep on her off time.Perhaps the thing to do here is to take a more matter of fact attitude about her sleep habits with the understanding that if one snoozes they lose in terms of outtings and such.:)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Well there is the problem. I have yet to meet a famale english teacher who isn't either a frigid bitch, ignorant, or selfish.
Maybe math teachers, but all of my English teachers were friendly Southern Belles out of the 1800s.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Maybe math teachers, but all of my English teachers were friendly Southern Belles out of the 1800s.

So how old are you, or where did that time warp appear.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
I'm 21.

I grew up in the rural South where the people still act like it's 1930.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
I'm 21.

I grew up in the rural South where the people still act like it's 1930.

do they still have separate water fountains for.....ahh nevermind ;)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Well she's been home from work a couple of hours, and all is well. She didn't apologize or anything, neither did I, but she has been very nice. I think she realized she wasn't being very logical or nice earlier.

Don't assume that this is the case; confirm it. Otherwise, this will come up again in some new form.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: KLin
do they still have separate water fountains for.....ahh nevermind ;)
Nah, it's not as bad as the media would like you to think, at least where I lived. There was racism, but I think the problem was that no one tried to bridge the gaps.

Edit: Sorry, OP. This is way off topic for the thread.

:beer:

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
Look, if he wanted to spend time with her, then he would've just stayed and waited for her till she woke up. If she wanted to be considerate and spend time with him, then she would've woken up. This is what a relationship is about, giving and taking, right? So in truth it is both of their faults!
Lacking consideration on both ends. He and she is purely in it for physical means!

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
i'd suggest getting out of this relationship soon since the only way this relationship might continue is if you become her b!tch. I am glad that you dont plan on becoming one. You gotta tell her what is acceptable and whats not. If she is not ok with that, then screw her, literally and figuratively.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
trmiv

Spending time with you is important to her. She does not understand why you do not feel the same way.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Yesterday I asked my girlfriend if she wanted to go to this aquarium store with me today to look at some stuff for the reef aquarium we are setting up, she said sure. Knowing that she has to work at 4:30pm (and her job is a 40 minute drive), I'm thinking 11:00am-12:00pm or so is a good time to take off to the store.

So, I wake up around 9:45. I figure I'll let her sleep in until 11:00 or so, and then wake her up so we can leave. 11:15 rolls around, and I decide to wake her up. Immediately she gets pissed at me for trying to wake her, so I ask if she even still wants to go with me, she goes "no, I need to sleep." Whatever, I proceed to get ready to go. At Noon, after getting dressed, and messing around on the computer some more, I again ask if she wants to go, she still says no. I tell her fine, I can't stick around waiting for you to wake up, I have things to do. So I left.

I get home about ten minutes ago, and she's pissed at me for leaving. She's pissed that I took off and didn't spend the day with her. I go, "I gave you two opportunities to come with me, and you said no twice, plus you knew yesterday we were going, not like it was a surprise." I then ask her what she expects me to do, wait around until like 2:00pm when she decides to get out of bed so I can spend time with her? Her answer was that I should have waited for her to wake up, spent time with her, and then gone and done the stuff I needed to do after she left for work. She said she got up like 45 minutes after I left, and we could have spent time together. Well how was I supposed to know that? She was dead to the world at noon, pissed at me for waking her, and I'm supposed to wait around? For I know, she could have slept until like 3:00pm.

I can't believe her, the fact that she would get pissed at this is ridiculous. The fact she would expect me to sit around the house waiting for her to wake up is plain absurd. It's not like I was trying to get her up at 7:00am, it was noon!! And it's not like we never see each other, we live together and see each other every day.

Women sometimes, jeez. All you lonely young geeks on her pining for a girlfriend, give it up, sometimes a relationship can be more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for listening to my rant, needed to vent.....
Spend time with her? She doesn't sound like someone a person would want to spend much time with!

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001

Demand an apology from her, or tell her one of y'all are going to be leaving. You need to put that gal in her place. And what were you thinking when you asked her if she wanted to go with you. That woman needs to stay home and cook you supper before she heads out to go to work. Come one now, get with the plan. Set some boundaries.

:)

KK

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
trmiv

Spending time with you is important to her. She does not understand why you do not feel the same way.

When you read any posts about women or relationships on this forum, you have to keep in mind that most of the writers have not had that much if any experience with women.

From your OP it sounds like you and your girlfriend are not communicating that well. So instead of demanding an apology or any doimg any other silly unconstructive action , as people here have recommended, sit down and talk to her. Relationships are tough and you have to work at them if you want them to last.