Uggg... I'm not liking repair service for Sigma lenses.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
About a month and a half ago I sent in my 100-300mm and 10-20mm for repair.

100-300mm: - sent in with a Tamron center-squeeze lens cap

1. considerable barrel wobble

10-20mm:

1. part of the plastic outer barrel had cracked during an accident
2. the MF/AF switch was gone
3. the lens cap was broken and I specifically requested a new lens cap
4. the lens hood moves VERY freely and sometimes just falls off by itself

Sigma does not email repair statuses, nor can you check the repair status online, even though they ask you for your email when you send your items in for repair.

Half a month goes by, I call and ask what's up. They say they are waiting on parts. I confirm with them that they will replace the Sigma 10-20mm lens cap. I hear a dot matrix printer in the background. I ask if they do email notifications. They say no.

Another half a month goes by, I call and ask what's up. They say they are still waiting for parts.

Another half a month goes by, and I get the package. I live in an apartment community. The box is sitting at my front door when I get back from school. The contents of the box are easily worth $900-$1000. Sitting. At. My. Front. Door. I would expect that for things like this they should really, REALLY require some kind of signature.

I open the box.

1. 10-20mm does not have lens cap.
2. 10-20mm still has an incredibly free-moving lens hood
3. The 100-300mm is missing my original Tamron lens cap, which is now replaced by a brand new, but ergonomically and functionally inferior Sigma lens cap.

What. The. Hell.

UPDATE:

I called Sigma and got Rory on the line. Very polite and sounded like a great guy. I voiced my concerns, he jotted them down, and then said he would go investigate. After a couple of hours he called me back.

He said he would immediately mail me a lens cap for my Sigma 10-20mm.

He said he would immediately mail me a lens hood for my Sigma 10-20mm, and said that if it is still free-moving I should contact him again and he will get my front barrel that locks into the hood replaced for free, since one or the other has a worn down plastic locking nub.

He can't track down my Tamron lens cap, and says that replacing it with a Sigma cap was "really weird and definitely NOT procedure."

"Do you mean those center-squeeze Tamron caps?"
"Yeah, they're just so much easier to use."
"I agree. I use them myself."

Then we talked about something that will remain confidential because it was part of Sigma's business plan, which he said he shouldn't be telling me, but suffice it to say, Sigma will get me a center squeeze lens cap.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Call back in and speak to a manager....its sounds like some things got fixed (no more barrel wobble on the tele), but they just ignored other issues. If that produces nothing file a complain with BBB.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Sigma has a really bad reputation for repairs and calibrations. I know people that sent their new lenses in 2 or 3 times to fix softness or front/back focusing.
Sometimes they have the audacity to ask for the camera body when every other lens works fine with. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't send my camera body in on a gamble like that.
I can't wait to get rid of my Sigma 70-200 2.8. I got lucky that it's a sharp copy, but I am being proactive and getting a Canon.
Even if there is something wrong with the Canon, their Irvine repair facility is like 5-6 minutes away from my work.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
I once had UPS leave 2 big boxes clearly marked "DELL" on them sitting at my door. Luckily they were still there. Nothing terribly expensive, but still...someone sees that and would swipe it.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
That is a bummer, Fuzzy. That is good to know.

I sent a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 lens in for repair last May after I dropped it. It was all arranged by email, and I shipped it to Illinois - but it came back to me from California. Then - I got an email from Canon asking if the repair was satisfactory, etc. Good customer relations.

There's an old adage - you get what you pay for.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Oh dear. My coworker's picking himself and me a Sigma 10-20mm today from NYC (we both live in Toronto). I guess I better pray I get a good model. :p

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Great! Very glad to hear that. My first wide angle zoom was a Sigma. It worked well - gave it to my daughter-in-law with my D60.