Uggg... I hate college freshman level tests.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I'm a senior and I have to take a 100-level communications course (public speaking). My senior level classes are all critical thinking and essay/short answer types of tests where your answer is graded on the merit of its logic.

I have this stupid multiple choice test in this comm course and I'm going to get at most a B in it because it's just complete rote memorization of things that are said in the book.

1. What percent of a speech's length should the intro and conclusion be?

Answer is 20%. 15%, 25%, 10% are all wrong. Why? Because the book says so. Oh come on. OMG if my intro and conclusion aren't 20% of my speech it is a failure! Completely disregard the fact that there will be speeches of different lengths and the longer ones will probably have longer bodies and proportionally shorter intros and conclusions. And who the hell cares if it's 15% or 25% instead of 20%. Sheesh.

2. The key focus of the content of a speech is the:

Speech Topic
General Purpose
Specific Purpose
Central Idea

The answer is the speech topic. Ignore the fact that it is practically synonymous with Central Idea. The answer must be absolutely verbatim from the book. Tsk, tsk, no synonyms allowed!!!!!

3. One general purpose of a speech is:

Demonstrate
Inform
Move to Action
Educate

Answer is Inform. Yup, to Educate would be wrong. If you answer with a synonym, you are punished. This is what I hate. Synonyms are words that convey the same idea (in this case, the relaying of a message which the subject then remembers in some way, if they don't remember, they have not been truly informed, nor educated). Any person who answers with Educate has the same god damned idea in their head for the answer as someone who answers with Inform, yet the one who used Educate gets it wrong simply because he didn't use the exact word that the book uses.

I don't know. This test looks like it's going to be an absolute clusterfuck of bad questions and a shining example of the failure to instill any kind of dynamic thinking in our students.

I've read all of the chapters diligently before every class and take notes on them, but I'm having trouble scoring higher than a B in any of the practice tests because I remember the ideas, not the frickin' exact word or phrase that the book uses.

EDIT: MORE examples

I'm finding errors between the sample exam answers and the book. Looks like the authors of the book are getting confused themselves with their verbatim testing of the book when making up the exams.

4. The American Civil Liberties Union was formed in:

YES!!!! Now they've resorted to having us memorize dates in an effort to make the test harder! I haven't gotten a question like this even in my history classes...

5. Good listeners must

Identify the speaker's main points.
Expect a coherent, organized, and complete speech.

Answer is the second choice because the book didn't mention the first choice. Holy shit. So you can still be a good listener even if you have no fucking clue what in God's name the speaker is trying to talk about? By this definition, if I see a flyer saying that a great public speaker is going to be making a speech, but I never make it to the speech and never even hear it, I can still be a Good Listener as long as I can expect that the great public speaker's speech will be/would have been coherent, organized, and complete?!!?

6. If audience members don't make eye contact with you, you should
tell a story.
increase your speaking energy.
pause to gain listeners attention.
use appropriate humor.

The answer can only be "tell a story." HOLY FRICKIN' COW.

7. Which is NOT a strategy for customizing your message to your audience?
refer to the town or community.
refer to a recent news event.
refer to your qualifications.
refer to a group or organization.

Answer is "refer to your qualifications." Um... WHAT?! If I'm talking to a group of photographers about something to do with photography, saying that I've been a photographer myself for 4 years doesn't qualify as customizing my message to the audience?

8. Which of the following verbs does not name an observable, measurable action that the audience should be able to take by the end of thte speech?

list
describe
understand
write

Answer is "understand." This is truly a paradox. By this definition, understanding is NOT observable or measurable and the audience shouldn't be able to understand after the speech. Yup, that's why we have exams. Because understanding is not measurable or observable. Ok.

9. You should use brainstorming to help
choose a purpose.
choose a central idea.
choose a topic.
All of the above.

Answer is "Topic." Remember kids, you should NOT use brainstorming for choosing a purpose or a central idea. Ever. It simply won't work. It's like 2 + 2 = 4. It just doesn't work.

10. An audience-centered informative speaker
gives their audience information it can use.
adapts their message to their specific needs.
presents information that relates to their goals.
None of the above.

Answer is "gives their audience information they can use." Uhhhh.... ok.

11. Which is false about adult learners?
Adults like to be actively involved in the learning process.
Adults like to be given information that they can use in the future.
Adults like to know how the new information is relevant to their needs.
Adults like to connect their life experiences with new information.

Answer is "Adults like to be given information that they can use in the future."

BWAHAHAHAH. #11 directly contradicts #10 not to mention it is complete and utter stupidity. Yeah, we as adults DON'T like to be given information that we can use. We have NEVER attended a lecture or a meeting and thought "when am I ever going to need this fscking information?" Nope. Never.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Ha... I feel for you.. but try studying in a foreign country. I once had a question like this.. this isn't an exact quote but as close as I can get..

"Why can two tigers not share the same hill?
A) One tiger would kill the other
B) The hill has only resources for one tiger.
C) Tigers prefer low areas
D) None of the above"

This was for a course about man's impact on the environment. I think the question was referring to some obscure analogy that I'd never heard of.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
They have to do it this way to scare/force some people to either drop the class or change major. Weeder courses FTL, especially when you have to take them anyways for a different major.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Parasitic
They have to do it this way to scare/force some people to either drop the class or change major. Weeder courses FTL, especially when you have to take them anyways for a different major.

It's Communications for crying out loud. Simple memorization does not = weeder course.

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
It's a 100 level class, no one cares. People care about the 400 and 500 level classes.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Whatever. I'm going to bed. I'm just going to whing this crap.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Wow. That's total bullshit. I'd seriously consider going in to the lecturer's (no way they're a full professor) office hours and explaining why they're wasting my time and money.

Of course, I'd wimp out and only go in after I got my A, but still.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: LtPage1
Wow. That's total bullshit. I'd seriously consider going in to the lecturer's (no way they're a full professor) office hours and explaining why they're wasting my time and money.

Of course, I'd wimp out and only go in after I got my A, but still.

Heh, I'm actually thinking about writing to the department and possibly to a school newspaper. My "teacher" is definitely not a professor, just someone more or less fresh out of college with a big ego. On the first day as part of his "qualifications" introduction he went on about how he was voted as one of America's top 100 public speakers, and how he's done speech writing for all these big name political figures. I wanted to just get up and leave.

In contrast, I had a logistics professor last semester who is most definitely more important and worth more than my comm teacher. I only found out about his numerous industry-wide accomplishments through google searches and random things posted on campus, like how he won logistics faculty of the year in the nation from the national logistics committee or something.

He never once mentioned any of these things to our class. He let his good ideas and character do the qualifying for him instead of relying on boasting about his accomplishments.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
You're crying about a free A course? So what if you have to follow the book? It's a joke course anyways.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
hey, that's not too bad for a multiple choice :p

my honor bio teacher was the worst... every multiple choice test he had, we'd have A-D (single answers) and then E) more than one of the above; F) all of the above; G) none of the above. sometimes he'd be screwy and put "none of the above" as the first answer, so the final answer would have to be either more than one or all of the above. lol.

so much for process of elimination. lol.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481

my honor bio teacher was the worst... every multiple choice test he had, we'd have A-D (single answers) and then E) more than one of the above; F) all of the above; G) none of the above. sometimes he'd be screwy and put "none of the above" as the first answer, so the final answer would have to be either more than one or all of the above. lol.

Or the tried and true, every answer is correct, which is the most correct.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001

It's probably because I'm a 'senior' but I've come to regard multiple choice as 1) easy 2) complete BS

It doesn't actually test your understanding of the material AND people 'make it hard' by making it unanswerable unless you've memorized the book.

Hey, how about you fvcking lecture on what we're supposed to know, I'll take notes, and then you can test on that. Don't assign a chapter of a book you've never read and then ask random MC questions just to make us think you're teaching....

sigh...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Wreckem

srsly.

I think well designed multiple choice tests can be a lot more difficult than essay tests.

maybe it's because I was a liberal arts major (dual-majored in English Lit/Sociology) but I'd take essays any day of the week... worst comes to worst, you'd have to be doing *really* bad to come across a question you couldn't at least semi-answer for partial credit.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Wow that's a horribly written MC test. Although I remember one of my MC tests have choices A-K... where you can choose multiple options and wrong choices deduct points.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
That reminds me of how my marketing test was this week. It was complete memorization of dumb buzzwords and nitpicking for little details.

In class he told us to go to marketresearch.com and just check out how much market research cost. I had my laptop in class, so I checked it out. I noticed that some research cost $25, some $1000, and some over $5000. One of the damn questions was "What type of data does marketresearch.com have and how much does it cost on average?" Am I suppose to take an average of every entry on the site? I only looked at a few different categories of data. I bet the prices in that category were much different from the category he based his answer one.

Another question asked, "What percentage of the work force does some sort of marketing?" I remember it being a rather large percentage even though it get could be argued that almost everyone markets somehow.

No wonder business majors catch so much flak at my school...all they do is memorize keywords and cliche phrases for the tests.

Edit - I'm taking MKTG309 for a business minor.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Wreckem

srsly.

I think well designed multiple choice tests can be a lot more difficult than essay tests.

maybe it's because I was a liberal arts major (dual-majored in English Lit/Sociology) but I'd take essays any day of the week... worst comes to worst, you'd have to be doing *really* bad to come across a question you couldn't at least semi-answer for partial credit.

Essay tests are a lot easier than mc tests that are created by hardass sadistic profs.

Some of my worst test grades have been on T/F and all the answers are correct which is the most correct tests. When you get a fucking paragraph as a T/F question its a pain in the ass unless you know every little detail. Same way with mc questions where the answers are all correct which is the most correct. Even worse is a all the answers are correct, which is the most correct in a fucking philosophy class where everything is completely subjective.

Ive come away with A's on essay tests where i had only the faintest idea of the question and just bs'ed my way through it.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Wow, that's just horrible. It's no wonder America ranks so low in education for an industrialized nation.

I'd take that to your school board and show them how students are being taught utter crap. Then I'd take it to your mayor and demand him to oust the superintendant. Then I'd take it to your senator and demand that they do something about the poor educational standards and ask them to abolish mindless multiple choice tests that serve no real purpose.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Dear god. I took some 100-level earth and ocean science classes late in my degree and faced some tests like that. Yeah, because memorizing the date of some volcanic eruption really shows that I know earth science.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: RaistlinZ
Wow, that's just horrible. It's no wonder America ranks so low in education for an industrialized nation.

I'd take that to your school board and show them how students are being taught utter crap. Then I'd take it to your mayor and demand him to oust the superintendant. Then I'd take it to your senator and demand that they do something about the poor educational standards and ask them to abolish mindless multiple choice tests that serve no real purpose.
Oh come on, it's a freshman level communications class; it's supposed to be worthless.

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I'll have to check the batteries on my meter.

My speech class was the same way. Most of the material is common sense so they have to give the concepts fancy names in order to test you over it. :p

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Considering how easy it would be to study for that test, I wouldn't complain. Part of being successful in academics is learning how to milk the system and make it work for you even if parts of that system are dumb and worthless....much like real life. Get used to it and learn to work with it. ;)