UFO: Alien Invasion (X-COM clone)

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I was looking around for an updated XCOM game that didn't get the FPS treatment. I ran across http://www.xenonauts.com/ Xenonauts which looks pretty sweet. Unfortunately, it's in beta phase and they are selling $20 pre-orders for the game with the hopes of raising enough money to complete it.

While I wouldn't mind supporting that developer I don't really feel like tossing coin to a game that might not complete. So I found an open source instead:

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/News

I've sunk a bunch of hours into it so far and while the graphic are a huge improvement over the first commercial X-COM they don't look as slick as the other project mentioned. Gameplay seem pretty much like a clone of X-COM and it's been entertaining so far. Not bad for free ;)

Last edited:

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
Hmm but does it have a stupid "guided" rocket for whole building/squad destruction?

Feb 4, 2009
I've looked at this before I still don't understand how a modern remake doesn't have destructible terrain?

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I have played the UFO:AI as well. And for an unfinished product, it is not bad.... For a free game. Although it still has many bugs (for instance it keeps on crashing on my Win7 machine for no single reason I can identify). I figure I got what I paid for.

The Xenonauts looks to be a much better product. I have been following the development for a few months and am satisfied with the input the guy leading the project gives. and the fact that he is actually taking interactively feedback from the community really gives me a good warm feeling about the game coming up. Add to that the fact that i would bet it isn't "If it comes out" but more a matter of when, I'd say it is at least worth watching.

Still, several deadlines for release of xenonauts have been missed. So if you are really jonesing for an xcom like game, UFO:AI is fun.