*UCLA DORM PEOPLE* Please Read!!

Karaethon1

Aug 22, 2001
Ok, so I went to the stupid all-hall meetings and the STC guy said something about the RIAA and tracking you down and whatever for sharing files. Anybody know anything about this? I think it's a lot of effort to check up on everyone if they're actually pirating, so I don't really see how they'd legitimately do this.

Anyway, thanks for your responses. Any info provided is appreciated.

amgkid

Sep 12, 2000
well ucla dorms have kazaa ports pretty blocked so i dunno how you're going to file share. maybe another program has come up and it will be fast. as for them finding you, there's a slim slim chance. one of my friends got caught at UPenn, but I think someone must have just turned her in for some malicious reason. anyway, the worst she got was community service and that's all i have ever heard of it. everyone has mp3s, etc. i wouldn't worry too much about being caught.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
the STC guy said something about the RIAA and tracking you down
Sounds like a threatening way of saying "stop using so much bandwith" to me. I doubt if the RIAA is doing such a campaign at the moment. This would be almost impossible to do - well, not totally impossible, but would be a lot of work to undertake.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
just dont piss off your dorm mate if he knows lawyers...

but seriously the RIAA aint dumb enuff to throw a bunch of college students in jail. then again...

darren

Feb 26, 2000
lived in hedrick and canyon point 2 years back.
downloaded 100 gigs of mp3's, movies from napster and its successors.
didnt have any problems.

stc sucks.

Karaethon1

Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: darren
lived in hedrick and canyon point 2 years back.
downloaded 100 gigs of mp3's, movies from napster and its successors.
didnt have any problems.

stc sucks.

The STC guy said it was something new for this year.

As far as other programs to use, there's the UCLA Direct Connect Hub once it goes up....

Also, as far as checking up on us, my ZoneAlarm blocked some sort of malicious attempt to access my computer's files today. I pinged the IP that tried to get in and the IP was gone and the ping timed out. Dunno if that holds any significance or if I'm getting paranoid.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
The RIAA has been submitting complaints against peoples IPs for approx 1 year now. We usually shut down the guys port, and tell him to call us. No one at Vandy ITS cares, but we tell the guyl that there was a complaint submitted against their machine (IP), and tell them to to stop sharing (so far all of the complaints have been against people sharing, not downloading). They have to either give us their word that they will stop sharing or agree to take the full legal responsibility for their actions.

In addition, I just got this email yesterday from our network security officer:

Something to be aware of....

RECORDING INDUSTRY PROVIDES TEST CASE FOR ISPs AND P2P
Internet service providers (ISPs) and colleges and universities have an interest in a case being heard before the U.S. District Court between the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and Verizon Internet Services.

The RIAA is testing an as yet unenforced provision
of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which allows them to subpoena the identity of an Internet subscriber without first providing proof or notice of illegal activity. In this case, the RIAA is seeking the identity of an individual who they believe has infringed on their copyrights through trading activity on a peer-to-peer network.

Privacy advocates fear that enforcement of this provision would not only trample on first-amendment rights but would open the door to a flood of subpoenas requiring ISPs to turn over subscriber identities without due process. A friend-of-the-court brief was filed in support of Verizon by a variety of consumer and privacy groups under the name of Amici. The Amici brief is available by contacting <lmast@idi.net>.

uclaxman

Dec 31, 2001
i lived in Courtside for 2 years
Sproul and Delta for 2 years (as an RA)

downloaded so much sh*t and nothing was a problem...

trust me...STC aient nuthin but a bunch of p*ssys

arcain

Oct 9, 1999
I am no longer a UCLA student (graduated last year).

I had friends who got their ports deactivated for sharing/distributing files not for simply downloading files. I believe the deactivate your port for a short period like a week, and then if you continue, they just deactivate it permanently. This may be a worse fate for some of you then community service.

Identifying ports (and computers connected to the ports) is fairly easy. Most people use more incoming traffic then outgoing. The ones sharing/distributing/running servers usually have huge amounts of outgoing traffic.

Last year, an admin for the Econ department was busted in the DrinkOrDie bust.