UC irvine student gov't bans flags

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Student government has and always shall be full of retards. These are folks who honestly believe that participating in student government is a resume builder.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
It IS a resume builder. Unfortunately, the only people who participate in student government are power hungry or control freaks.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It IS a resume builder. Unfortunately, the only people who participate in student government are power hungry or control freaks.
Participation in student government tells me that an applicant wasn't taking a rigorous class load.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
"Inclusive" I keep hearing that work from people these days.

Dec 10, 2005
It seems like people misunderstand the concept of free speech. You don't only get to protect speech you agree with. Sometimes, you're going to hear things you don't agree with, and it isn't always "hate speech" (see France's ridiculous position on free speech). And even if it was 'hate speech' (with its nebulous definition), shouldn't people at a prestigious university, like UC Irvine, be able to make a cogent argument as to why the 'hate speech' speaker is wrong and should subsequently be marginalized in debates as an ignoramus, ala the WBC?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
ok that is insane. though it is going to be overturned. it's just a matter of if before or after lawsuits.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Participation in student government tells me that an applicant wasn't taking a rigorous class load.

Which is perfect because our company doesn't hire smart people. We only hire people who like scheduling hour long meetings to accomplish what could be done by sending 2 or 3 emails.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We must build a perfect society where we take drugs, smoke MJ, and stand for nothing!

Only personal gratification is what is important.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
We must build a perfect society where we take drugs, smoke MJ, and stand for nothing!

Only personal gratification is what is important.
Which is exactly what the constitution says. Drugs were 100% legal for the majority of America's history. You could buy amphetamine at any drug store in 1950. Standing for nothing was also the norm. World War 1 started in 1914, but we didn't get involved until 1917.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
ok that is insane. though it is going to be overturned. it's just a matter of if before or after lawsuits.
The powers that be on campus already said it ain't happening. It's a resolution which has no real bearing on anything. It is however a display of the idiocy going on at campuses across the nation.

But here's a far better one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...self-being-able-to-maintain-an-unbiased-view/

&#8220;Given that you are a Jewish student and very active in the Jewish community, how do you see yourself being able to maintain an unbiased view &#8230;?&#8221;

That was asked by a UCLA student council member of a candidate for the council&#8217;s Judicial Board. Now if anyone here is OK with that, and I'm 100% certain we have members here that are, substitute 'Gay' or 'Transgendered' for Jewish. The shit would be hitting the fan.

Anti-Semitism - not just alive and well throughout the world it is here in the U.S too.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
lol this argument makes no fucking sense.

If an international or foriegn born student feels oppressed because they have to see an American flag at an American University....fuck em.

I did study abroad when I was at school and the foreign schools I spent time at had their country flag showing as well.

Nov 25, 2013
What I find interesting is that the article is mainly about how the measure *won't* end up in effect.

"The resolution passed on a 6-4 vote by the student legislative council, with two abstentions.

The resolution "is not endorsed or supported in any way by the campus leadership," according to a statement on UCI's website written by Associated Students President Reza Zomorrodian.

The measure is likely to be short-lived, however.

The student government's five-person executive cabinet is expected to meet Saturday to vote on a motion to veto the resolution, the statement said.

If vetoed, the resolution would head back to the legislative council, which would have to pass the measure with a two-thirds majority to override the veto
"

Bottom line, a couple of student politicians made what appears to be an empty gesture that everyone will have forgotten in a week or two. Why the hell this rated a story in the LA Times I have no idea.

In the mean time, fill up on that outrage while you can.

Addendum: (from earlier today)

Update: A statement on the UCI News site today says, in part:

"This misguided decision was not endorsed or supported in any way by the campus leadership, the University of California, or the broader student body. The views of a handful of students passing a resolution do not represent the opinions of the nearly 30,000 students on this campus, and have no influence on the policies and practices of the university.

The American flag is still proudly flying throughout our campus and will continue to do so.

The Executive Cabinet of the student government will meet today to discuss a veto. A motion to veto and a second are on the table. One more vote is needed for a veto."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/flag-653323-students-ban.html

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The powers that be on campus already said it ain't happening. It's a resolution which has no real bearing on anything. It is however a display of the idiocy going on at campuses across the nation.

But here's a far better one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...self-being-able-to-maintain-an-unbiased-view/

“Given that you are a Jewish student and very active in the Jewish community, how do you see yourself being able to maintain an unbiased view …?”

That was asked by asked by a UCLA student council member of a candidate for the council’s Judicial Board. Now if anyone here is OK with that, and I'm 100% certain we have members here that are, substitute 'Gay' or 'Transgendered' for Jewish. The shit would be hitting the fan.

Anti-Semitism - not just alive and well throughout the world it is here in the U.S too.

Depending on what hidden in the '...' of the question that could be a valid question.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

If an international or foriegn born student feels oppressed because they have to see an American flag at an American University....fuck em.

I did study abroad when I was at school and the foreign schools I spent time at had their country flag showing as well.

I have nothing against whoever flying whatever they want but you guys are way, way more into your flags than any other country than I can think of.

Its pretty weird to fly your flag in your front garden in most countries for instance.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I have nothing against whoever flying whatever they want but you guys are way, way more into your flags than any other country than I can think of.

Its pretty weird to fly your flag in your front garden in most countries for instance.
:colbert:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

“Given that you are a Jewish student and very active in the Jewish community, how do you see yourself being able to maintain an unbiased view …?”

She should have asked the bigots if she could even answer in their presence.

QFT

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

We don't have many cultural symbols so we use the hell out of the ones we got.

Complete list:
Flag
Eagle
Statue of Liberty
Green Bay Packers

That's it.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Why do people from Illinois hate America? :whiste:

Edit: I mean is not Illinois part of the Greater South Wisconsin Co-Prosperity Sphere? Are we not all one happy green and gold family?

Last edited: