Ubuntu Live 64 7.04 SMP client - is mine working right?

Jan 9, 2007
I'm using the LiveDVD version of Ubuntu 64-bit 7.04. I had a uATX motherboard and acquired a 4200+ X2 and 2GB of RAM. The hard drive I was going to use turned out to be bad, so I just used the LiveDVD of Ubuntu. It is working (verified through status and process monitor).

It seems to be *really* slow, though. My X2 2.8Ghz in the XP SMP client takes about 33 minutes per 1% on project 2610. I'm folding project 1487 on this Ubuntu box and more than an hour and a half has passed without a % completing. I opened the fah-log.txt, and it has passed the checkpoint, so it is working, but it seems to be very slow.

Is anyone else familiar with this project, or is something wrong with this box?

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
It takes about 48-54 hours for my X2 @2.2 to complete a WU (running on windows XP).
Is your CPU throttled down on Ubuntu? I had that issue with my A64 and it took me a while to figure it out. Once I got that cleared up I went from 1ghz to 2.3 ghz.

Jan 9, 2007
Somehow, I managed to install the wrong core. I have no idea what I was running, but I rebooted, loaded the ia32libs, and then used the console commands in the Linux SMP FAQ on the f@h site. I have no idea what I was using before, but apparently it wasn't the right thing. I had 8 instances of fahcore_a0.exe instead of four instances of fahcore_a1.exe which is what I should have had.

It is working now, though.

Jan 9, 2007
Uppsala, what was the throttling issue you had? If it happens on mine, I would like to correct it. I don't have it installed...I'm just using the LiveDVD.

EDIT: Clarification - Ubuntu is not installed (obviously the FaH core is installed)