ubuntu linux

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
anyone? I seem to have lost connectivity with my ubuntu box, but the windows box connected to the same router is able to get on the net.

what i did prior to the machine losing connectivity:
mounted a windows drive that had some problems with it. (had to save files from it as the drive is dying)
reconfigured the eth0 connection as static, subnet mask is the same as windows box, so is default gateway.

what i've done so far.

1 restarted machine.
2.reconfigured the eth0 connection as static, subnet mask is the same as windows box, so is default gateway.
3 nic is getting a lnk light. plus packets are being recvd.
4. banged head on wall due to frustration.
5 feeling dizzy due to wallbanging.
6 seeing lights now....
7 typing this post while in a haze....

help me please!

joe

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
nvm, i fixed the issue. I had the laptop point to my internal DNS server first and my router second.

fix: switch the dns servers around so my internal was second and the router ip was first.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
For anyone else wondering, there is no DNS cache in Linux unless you install something like bind locally or lwresd yourself.

p0lar

Nov 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Nothinman
For anyone else wondering, there is no DNS cache in Linux unless you install something like bind locally or lwresd yourself.

I'll also point people to the resolv.conf man page where you might want to examine the lookup keyword... too bad finding Ubuntu man pages online seems to be more than a 5-click stretch (at which point I quit looking).