Ubuntu laptop

Discussion in '*nix Software' started by todpod, Dec 16, 2012.

1. todpod

todpod Golden Member

what do i need to look for in a laptop esp wifi. We will probably be getting something on the low end running Win8, which my wife will use mainly for the internet. But I think I will get a memory stick to boot ubuntu or maybe dual boot. I will be shopping walmart or staples any guidance would be helpful. What wifi chips work with Ubuntu out of the box. This will be a mainly internet computer and not much else. She may use it to finish college.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Ubuntu laptop Forum Date
    Ubuntu update to 14.04 - bricked my laptop *nix Software Apr 19, 2016
    Problem installing Ubuntu on laptop *nix Software Oct 1, 2013
    I want to put Ubuntu on my Laptop but.... *nix Software Jan 22, 2012
    Problem with Ubuntu 10.04 and Dell Laptop *nix Software Jun 1, 2010
    WPA Problems with Ubuntu 10.04 and a Sony Vaio laptop *nix Software May 12, 2010

3. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Your best bet is to find a machine you like, and then search compatibility. "brand model# linux" should get you good results. Generally speaking, Intel has good Linux support.

4. todpod

todpod Golden Member

Linux wifi won't be a deal killer but would be nice. Once we get a little closer I will look into the specific models and look what works. Price will be a driving factor.

5. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Wifi is generally pretty good. I think Intel wireless is dependable. Doing a model search before buying will ensure success.

6. todpod

todpod Golden Member

that is good. I have got used to they way ubuntu looks and feels, windows seems foreign to me. I do run XP at work but as little as possible