Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition?

FrankRamiro

Sep 5, 2012
WhaT you guys think of, Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition?

Will i be able to Install Adobe Acrobat Reader on it?

cause i have a Huge library of Pdfs in music sheet format for my Music Digital Display.Thanks in advance, also can i make An ISO of Ubuntu on a RW Cd to be installed on the Pc

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I think it's 4 years out of date :^D

You'd be better off getting Ubuntu 12.04 or Xubuntu 12.04. Those are lts releases, and will be supported until 2015 I believe. The upgrade would occur in April 2014 if you chose.

You could install Adobe reader, but I wouldn't recommend it. You can read pdfs with built in libre tools. You can burn an iso to a disc, or put it on a usb drive which is my preference.

Edit:
to clarify Ubuntu's version numbers, they follow year month format. 8.10 was released in October 2008. They release in April and October, and have a LongTermRelease every 2 years, with 12.04(April 2012) being the most recent.

Last edited:

FrankRamiro

Sep 5, 2012
I think it's 4 years out of date :^D

You'd be better off getting Ubuntu 12.04 or Xubuntu 12.04. Those are lts releases, and will be supported until 2015 I believe. The upgrade would occur in April 2014 if you chose.

You could install Adobe reader, but I wouldn't recommend it. You can read pdfs with built in libre tools. You can burn an iso to a disc, or put it on a usb drive which is my preference.

Edit:
to clarify Ubuntu's version numbers, they follow year month format. 8.10 was released in October 2008. They release in April and October, and have a LongTermRelease every 2 years, with 12.04(April 2012) being the most recent.

Thanks Bro: What is the best link or site that i can download it from Thanks?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

Xubuntu
http://xubuntu.org/

Read through the sites, and with Ubuntu, you can try it online. Ubuntu has the newer Unity interface which isn't to everyone's liking. Xubuntu more like classic Windows. It's a bit lighter, and perhaps a bit less polished, but it may be more familiar for you. FWIW, I use what amounts to Xubuntu, though I'm using Xfce on Debian.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Any problems installing it with W7 64bit already installed on my system? Was looking it over and it seemed pretty interesting.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Any problems installing it with W7 64bit already installed on my system? Was looking it over and it seemed pretty interesting.

If you just want to try it, doing a wubi install is probably your best bet. That sets up a fake dual boot, where you pick Win7 or Ubuntu at boot, but you're using a virtual disk within Windows.

Benefits...

Easy to install, no harm to your partitions
Near native performance. Not quite as good as native, but close enough for a trial
Easy to get rid of. Just uninstall from Windows Programs and Features

Cons...

It can sometimes be a little flaky. DO NOT update Grub if offered during updates.
Performance is reduced. While it isn't a big deal for a trial, if you wanted to use it full time, a proper dual boot would be better.

Edit:
One thing I'd suggest even before wubi is to run a live session from usb just to check it out. Ubuntu usually "just works", but sometimes you get unlucky with hardware. It's better to find that out before you go through any hassle setting it up.

Last edited:

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Ok thanks, think I'll give it shot, usb first and will go from there.

FrankRamiro

Sep 5, 2012
Thanks guys. just want to let you know that i successfully was able to download Linux Mint with the USB stick and may say that it works great,for free what can one get better. loaded acrobat reader then loaded my music pdfs files, it also can rotate the display neat, now i just miss a PC foot switch for linux bases,i have a foot switch but it only works on win,
i checked this one but not sure that it will work fully on linux. i wonder if you know one that i can trust to order.thanks in advance.

FrankRamiro

Sep 5, 2012
Thanks guys. just want to let you know that i successfully was able to download Linux Mint with the USB stick and may say that it works great,for free what can one get better. loaded acrobat reader then loaded my music pdfs files, it also can rotate the display neat, now i just miss a PC foot switch for linux bases,i have a foot switch but it only works on win,
i checked this one but not sure that it will work fully on linux. i wonder if you know one that i can trust to order.thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Foot-Switc.../dp/B008MU0TBU

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
They say it does. Seems like an esoteric, but basic device. I'd guess it would work fine.

FrankRamiro

Sep 5, 2012
Hi Guys, New Update on foot SW pedal,i have here connected to my other machine a 3 way foot switch pedal that i've been using for a long time it has a win CD software,now i thought of connecting it to the lenovo linux mint based and for my surprise it pages up and down the pages, lucky me i did not order other pedal,what a good day and i-m so happy that i got this free linux mint ops.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Glad it worked :^)

BTW, you likely don't need Adobe reader. Unless you have some bleeding edge pdfs that use features that probably shouldn't be used, the built in reader should work fine. I believe Mint comes with Evince(Document Viewer), and it's my preferred reader regardless of platform. I install it on Windows machines also.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

BTW, you likely don't need Adobe reader. Unless you have some bleeding edge pdfs that use features that probably shouldn't be used, the built in reader should work fine. I believe Mint comes with Evince(Document Viewer), and it's my preferred reader regardless of platform. I install it on Windows machines also.

FrankRamiro

Sep 5, 2012

Thanks Ixskllr,tell me my friend how can i check the HDD for how many Mgbs are free.When i click on the 500GBs Hard drive it says can't mount file