Ubuntu 10 and i3 IGP compatibility?

ColKurtz

Dec 20, 2002
Getting ready to build a new HTPC, i3-based with H55 mobo, and was planning to use the latest Ubuntu. I'm reading that Ubuntu 10.04 video drivers are incompatible with the i3 integrated graphics. ( http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/736722-ubuntu-10-04-not-compatible-core.html)

Just wondering if anyone has any info on if/when this will be addressed, or if an older version of ubuntu might work... or any other workaround.

I'm assuming a PCI video card will do the trick, and I'll need a capture card anyway... are there video capture cards that will also give me good video streaming (1080p) output?

Thanks for any info.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Interesting...

It always seems that Linux, et al. has problems with Intel video chips.

I run Linux (on various machines) with Intel, ATI, and nVidia graphic cards, and all of them are tricky to setup CORRECTLY.

The 'silver lining' is... if you take the time to do it right, the end result is always drop-dead gorgeous.

Anyway, I've had the best results (and the least hassle) with nVidia cards.

I don't understand why you're asking about a PCI video card. Hrm...

Anyway, that's all I have to offer. Good luck! :)

ColKurtz

Dec 20, 2002
Interesting...

I don't understand why you're asking about a PCI video card. Hrm...

)

Well, if Ubuntu isn't compatible with the i3's integrated graphics (which I read in multiple places that it is not), I would have no choice but to install a PCIe adapter for video. That will only add unnecessary heat and expense.

Was wondering if this was a known issue, since i3 seems to be very popular price/performer, and anyone knew if and when there were plans to fix.

The other big question is whether I can combine a video capture card (which I may or may not add anyway down the road) with general-purpose video. I've never been a big gamer, have mostly used stock/integrated Intel graphics, so I'm kind of a noob in that area and not sure if these "combo" capture+standard video cards are common. Seems like this is what the old ATI AIW cards did?

If I *have* to get a PCI card for video, and can get TV-capture with it too, that makes it easier to justify.

Thanks again for any info.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
[...]I would have no choice but to install a PCIe adapter[...]
I see. PCIe. Sorry for the confusion. :confused:

I've been playing with ancient iron, this week, and installed an old-school PCI video card -- couldn't figure out why you were contemplating the same on a H55. LoL!

As soon as you buy new cards, they'll fix the Intel drivers. There's probably a Murphy's Law about that, somewhere.

Anyway, good luck with your project!

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
honestly i would wait a few weeks if possible, im sure the intel drivers will surface soon.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
The drivers exist, so it's strange that they aren't in the newest Ubuntu. One of my buddies has an Arch box with an i3 530 and the video works perfectly OOB (well as out of the box as you can get with Arch :p).