Ubuntu 10.04 Vs Centos 5 For java hosting

satesh

May 17, 2010
Hi

I am planning to host my java/jsp application on CentOS. But recently ubuntu getting more popular and they released 10.04 LTS.

Which one will be a good for java hosting with mysql and can I combine like MySQL on ubuntu and tomcat on centos

For my personal use I have setup nexus maven repository on centos long back and Its working flawlessly and I didn't even rebooted my box from last 1.5 years.

Please suggest

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I would stick with centOS. You have it setup already, and its supported for the next four years at least.

satesh

May 17, 2010
I would stick with centOS. You have it setup already, and its supported for the next four years at least.

Thank you.

One more thing I haven't updated my centos since install. Is it advisable to update kernel and other stuff before making my website live?

Right now my server is behind FIOS internet and it never opened or tested with www.

And Can I use google dns to map or I need to maintain my own dns?

I guess Verizon will update dns stuff once i get static ip but not sure how efficient their servers are...

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
If the machine is not in production I say go ahead and update it.

I use ubuntu on my servers personally, but centOS is a great distro.

satesh

May 17, 2010
If the machine is not in production I say go ahead and update it.

I use ubuntu on my servers personally, but centOS is a great distro.

Now its not is prod. but I wanted to put in live open 8080 port (tomcat) once i get static ip...

Now I am really confused centOs / Ubuntu...

I mean one of my boxes i have ubuntu desktop 64-bit but I never tried server even with php site...

Since java is heavy weight and tomcat need more resources in terms of memory, hdd and i/o speeds I am not able to judge my self which kernel is more stable for such kind of apps...

May be I will try load balancing between centos and ubuntu and see which one performs well...

Is there any weblizer kind of online monitoring for tomcat?

Thanks

satesh

May 17, 2010
Your over thinking it. You can't go wrong with either.

Yeah I am. I have low budget and I can't switch thing very often thats why I am keep on asking ...

any way let me run some load tests on both and get back to you ... thanks

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
keep in mind Ubuntu has Tomcat 6 and CentOS has Tomcat 5. Tomcat 6 does boast some performance improvements, but the setup is a little different. You'll have to learn/get-used-to the new setup and you may need to do some tweaking on your application for it to run under Tomcat 6. Other than that, either OS is going to be as good as the other. I would just use whichever you are most comfortable with.

I personally prefer Ubuntu Server LTS myself, but it's *mostly* just matters of personal taste (like asking which color is better, red or blue?). I do also run some RHEL servers, including my only Tomcat server is on RHEL.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
And if you're going to put it on the Internet you should definitely patch it, putting an unpatched machine on the Internet is pretty stupid.

EricMartello

Apr 17, 2003
I'm evaluating Ubuntu right now...but I have been using CentOS for the last 6 years or so. I can say without a doubt that CentOS is solid, secure and performs well...but Ubuntu does have more up-to-date software and some features that CentOS is just getting, like EXT4 support.