Ubisoft Server Transition Stresses the Faults of DRM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
and the pirates who have their DRM circumvented rejoice!

ironic huh?

Pirates get the game for free, dont have to mess with logins, and can play the game when real paying members cant...

And the DRM was originally intended to steer away pirates... and instead it steers away actual paying members?

This is why i have not bought a ubi soft game in so long.
This is absolute bullshit i tell ya.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Meh maybe Ubisoft will get the hint. Till then I'm on the boycott bandwagon.

I doubt it. They've publicly stated that they consider their DRM to be a success, that it is "morally correct," and they continue to defend it even today.

I'm not sure how much their sales will have to decline for them to get the hint. In the past they've always just blamed poor sales on piracy, and my guess is they will continue to do so. Plus, their DRM has generated so much negative publicity and calls to pirate (or at least crack) their games that they'll probably see an increase in the number of unauthorized downloads. That will just further reinforce their delusion that DRM is necessary to help their sales.

If I walked into a board meeting at any large company and said "I have developed a piece of software that will regularly inconvenience many of your customers, make your product entirely unusable by a few of them, create a nightmare PR situation, and reduce your sales," I'd be kicked out immediately. And yet they continue to push a system that does exactly that. I wonder how much money they've spent on developing and implementing this DRM alone?

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
zokudu said:
Meh maybe Ubisoft will get the hint. Till then I'm on the boycott bandwagon.

I doubt it. They've publicly stated that they consider their DRM to be a success, that it is "morally correct," and they continue to defend it even today.

If I walked into a board meeting at any large company and said "I have developed a piece of software that will regularly inconvenience some of your customers, make your product entirely unusable by a few of them, create a nightmare PR situation, and reduce your sales," I'd be kicked out immediately. And yet they continue to push a system that does exactly that. I wonder how much money they've spent on developing and implementing this DRM alone?

Maybe if it was presented in cave man style drawlings at one of their board meetings they'd finally get it. Something like this maybe..

drm.png

But yeah, we're just fooling ourselves really.. Those guys wouldn't look at or even think about a shitily drawn picture like that, because 1: it's beyond their ability to understand, and 2: they're too busy smelling their own farts anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6hlUF4h-ZY&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLF5033F2B53C94D17

EDIT: This is pretty funny too.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5lQ-9reiLU

This too, lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCatXhi6lyY

Last edited: