Info Ubiquiti Wifi-6 Long Range AP now has RGB

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Sigh... So i got my new long long waited Wifi-6 Long Range AP.

Ubiquiti has now officially fallen into the RGB fad.... the AP now features RGB for the halo ring.

ubntaprgb.png

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
It appears to only allow static color selection. I wouldn't consider that RGB in the sense of the grotesque RGB on everything fad.

This is more of a nice feature to allow you to match the halo ring to whatever your decor/atmosphere dictates.

If they have animated RGB sequences for you to make it flash, breathe, or cycle a rainbow......

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
does it allow api access to change colour. if so I would like to program voice command "Red Alert" in Home Assistant to change the colour to red :p

• Haha
Reactions: SamirD

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i would not be surprised if ubiquiti added the breathe option later on in an update.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Does it perform well aigomorla? I was quite happy with the blue they used, but more impressed with their performance. Please tell me that hasn't changed.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Does it perform well aigomorla? I was quite happy with the blue they used, but more impressed with their performance. Please tell me that hasn't changed.

I see my note 20 ultra connect to it and it shows a pretty 6 icon next to the wifi bar. :D
As for does it perform well... i only had it for a few days, so i can't really say much. It hasn't gone down or anything and it does well handing off and receiving back as i roam around the house.

As for speed tho, i don't really notice much difference between it and the AC Pro's i have.
But i don't use wifi for data transfers anyhow, unless its simple like uploading pictures from my phone to NAS.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I see my note 20 ultra connect to it and it shows a pretty 6 icon next to the wifi bar. :D
As for does it perform well... i only had it for a few days, so i can't really say much. It hasn't gone down or anything and it does well handing off and receiving back as i roam around the house.

As for speed tho, i don't really notice much difference between it and the AC Pro's i have.
But i don't use wifi for data transfers anyhow, unless its simple like uploading pictures from my phone to NAS.
Ok be sure and give an update when you are ready.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I know this place is anti-rgb but honestly I think that's pretty badass. I wish my LRs had that option...... I'm honestly kind of jelly that the new ones have that.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I tend to have a problem with RGB if reliability or functionality is affected.

This wouldn't be a problem for me. It's more of a meh type thing.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I know this place is anti-rgb but honestly I think that's pretty badass. I wish my LRs had that option...... I'm honestly kind of jelly that the new ones have that.
I don't know about you but I don't spend my day gazing at the AP on the ceiling.

• Haha

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Haha nah it ain't like that guys..... its just I'm just a huge fan of lighting especially indoor and outdoor home lighting(commercial lighting ain't my thing). I wouldn't spend my day gazing at an AP in the ceiling either but if it gave off an ambient glow that I could change the color of..... well....why the hell not?

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Haha nah it ain't like that guys..... its just I'm just a huge fan of lighting especially indoor and outdoor home lighting(commercial lighting ain't my thing). I wouldn't spend my day gazing at an AP in the ceiling either but if it gave off an ambient glow that I could change the color of..... well....why the hell not?

That's cool though. As long as UI doesn't slack on stability, speed, etc...I don't really care if they add a full color palette. Mine is in a central closet, so won't even notice.

I'm not sure what kind of lighting you mean, but a went a little crazy with Christmas light sales and ran a bunch in my basement for everyday use 😁

• Haha

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
That's cool though. As long as UI doesn't slack on stability, speed, etc...I don't really care if they add a full color palette. Mine is in a central closet, so won't even notice.

I'm not sure what kind of lighting you mean, but a went a little crazy with Christmas light sales and ran a bunch in my basement for everyday use 😁
You know like everyday use it kind of lighting but not your standard in-stock box store lighting. I like stuff that looks nice even if it costs a little more and is special order. Like for example I fell in LOVE with these exterior lights from Menards even though I knew I needed six of them they just had that look and feel that I wanted.

Same goes for the chandelier in our entry way. Yeah I knew I could have gone with something "off the shelf" from the box stores but when I saw the Elan Meridian three cluster pendant light I knew I had to have it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not opposed to recessed lighting or even "off the shelf" ceiling fans that you can buy and install that day but I really LOVE unique lighting. Hell even in our kitchen above the island I went with Possini Euro Lilypad because it just makes a statement.

That is what I mean when I say I love interior and exterior home lighting. I want something that says wow when you drive up or enter the home.

Now do these new AP 6's do that? Hell no but they add to the overall look and feel of the home. But the nice thing about these is if lighting isn't your thing you can shove it in a closet or just turn it off.

Reactions: SamirD and ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
lol, not quite christmas lights ;D. Cool fixtures tho!

The AP's ability to RGB or not really won't affect my decision to upgrade. It's fun, but most of us are concerned about function over form. But I know lots of potential customers prefer form over function, so it really does seem like a smart move by UI.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Changing the color can be a quick way to help identify devices.

I use two APs right now, and a week or two ago, I noticed that one of them was stuck at 90%+ CPU usage. One thing that I wasn't sure about is which AP it was that was messed up... especially when I had trouble rebooting the AP. (It seemed like it wasn't rebooting, but it did eventually reboot.) In my use case, this is also helpful because I've been wondering for months if one of my APs was messed up by a lightning strike that took out my NUC and one port on my POE switch (the one for the NUC). Right now, I think all you can do is turn off the status ring light, which can also help for identification if you leave the others on.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Well so far the Wifi6 unit works great.
It seems to have fairly good range on top.
The only thing i can test with it is my note 20 ultra tho, as i do not have many wifi devices which uses wifi6 protocol yet.
The RGB is kinda growing on me honestly. I can change it a deep purple color, avoid blue because 21 century blue light - bad light, and red means it has error, and white is booting, so i avoid those colors in general.

As for do i recommend it, yes for sure, but its pricey at 179 dollars. I do not know about the lite version, if someone gets it fill me in.

• Love
Reactions: SamirD and Muadib

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
As for do i recommend it, yes for sure, but its pricey at 179 dollars. I do not know about the lite version, if someone gets it fill me in.

The Lite is a 2x2 AP instead of 4x4, right?

Although, I do wish that Ubiquiti would've gone with a 2.5Gbps connection instead of a 1Gbps connection. The prior matches their upcoming network PoE switch and better matches the max throughput capabilities of WIFI6. Although, while most may point out that you can't usually reach high speeds with a WiFi AP, but isn't that less of a valid point with technology like MU-MIMO? One reason why you can't always reach the high speeds is that most of our devices are limited in antenna count to begin with. A 2x2 device isn't likely to hit 1Gbps due to the nature of WiFi, but what if a 4x4 AP was talking to two 2x2 devices at once via MU-MIMO?