U.S. woman joined ISIS, now wants to return

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Litmus test for members of this forum:

US citizen leaves the USA, joins ISIS, calls for attacks on US soil.
ISIS almost defeated, she says she was wrong and wants to come home.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ly-regrets-joining-isis-and-wants-return-home

An American woman captured by Kurdish forces after fleeing the last pocket of land controlled by Islamic State says she “deeply regrets” travelling to Syria to join the terror group and has pleaded to be allowed to return to her family in Alabama.

Once one of Isis’s most prominent online agitators who took to social media to call for the blood of Americans to be spilled, Hoda Muthana, 24, claims to have made a “big mistake” when she left the US four years ago and says she was brainwashed into doing so online.

For everyone here who justified killing Anwar al-Awlaki, do you think this young lady should also be killed?

As far as I know, Anwar al-Awlaki never took up arms against the US, all he did was talk.

Hoda Muthana caleld for lone wolf attacks on US soil. So why should she be treated any different than Anwar al-Awlaki?

I hope everyone here knows my opinion on right to life without due process. Personally, I feel the murder of Anwar al-Awlaki was wrong. As such, I feel kiling this young lady would also be wrong. Arrest her, put her on trial for something like treason, and let her spend the rest of her life in a federal prison.

Then again, shouldn't we have done the same thing to Anwar al-Awlaki.

The mental gymnasts should be fun to watch.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I hope everyone here knows my opinion on right to life without due process. Personally, I feel the murder of Anwar al-Awlaki was wrong. As such, I feel kiling this young lady would also be wrong. Arrest her, put her on trial for something like treason, and let her spend the rest of her life in a federal prison.

Was it wrong when El Presidente ordered the mission that killed al-Awlaki's eight year old daughter? (The mission Obama didn't authorize due to the risk of collateral damage.)

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Arrest her, return her home, and put her on trial. The big difference of course being it’s possible to actually arrest her and she isn’t in an actual ongoing war zone.

Can’t wait to see how many times the OP diverts his own thread.

Reactions: Jaepheth
Nov 8, 2012
Because TH needs to establish false equivalency. Had she been killed in the fighting like Al Awlaki she'd be dead, too. But she wasn't. John Walker Lindh is doing 20 for fighting with the Taliban & I suspect her fate will be similar. Bring her home, put her on trial, take it from there.

Do you really need to be tried in a court? Such a waste of time for the large number of ISIS converts. It's not like it was a domestic crime.

But yeah, sure, whatever. Put them in prison - at the very least until they are 70+ years old.

EDIT: Honestly though, thinking about it now - I honestly think every one of them should get life in prison by default. You don't have to be the person that exploded the bombs to create and support them.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I well have to say it is fairly easy to become radicalized, especially if the environment you were raised in predisposes you toward radicalization.

Moslem youths are far from the only ones who are targeted for Radicalization.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
In Article III, Section 3 of the United States Constitution, treason is specifically limited to levying war against the US, or adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. Conviction requires two witnesses or a confession in open court.

Clearly applies to her in this case.. just like it does to the entire Trump administration.

I'm sure we can get convictions on both!

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
In Article III, Section 3 of the United States Constitution, treason is specifically limited to levying war against the US, or adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. Conviction requires two witnesses or a confession in open court.

Clearly applies to her in this case.. just like it does to the entire Trump administration.

I see someone else knows the Constitution. If I remember correctly this country usually puts treasonous sons of bitches to death. Washington would have had this "woman" shot.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ly-regrets-joining-isis-and-wants-return-home

For everyone here who justified killing Anwar al-Awlaki, do you think this young lady should also be killed?

As far as I know, Anwar al-Awlaki never took up arms against the US, all he did was talk.

Hoda Muthana caleld for lone wolf attacks on US soil. So why should she be treated any different than Anwar al-Awlaki?

You're dead wrong about al-Awlaki. He most definitely did more than talk. He recruited people into AQ and participated in planning terrorist activities. There's plenty of evidence including materials they found in Bin Laden's compound which identified al-Awlaki as the head of AQ in the Arabian Peninsula.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki

As for her, no she should not be killed. And no she shouldn't ever be allowed to come back here.

Nov 8, 2012
I'm honestly conflicted at this point though. If you betray our country I don't really want you back. You chose to leave, good-bye.

At the same time, if you're from here than I guess it is our responsibility to clean up for our shit stains as well. I just kinda wish she got a shittier life than the comfy cushy living of a federal prison.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I did some stupid shit when I was a kid. Maybe not this stupid but ...

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I am not, and never have been, much of a fan of US foreign policy, under Democrats as much as Republicans (Democrats are often worse, because they over-compensate - it was a Democrat that took the US into WW1 and Vietnam, after all...and both are equally unrelenting and amorally partisan in supporting both Israel and Saudi Arabia.).

Anyway, I agree, putting her on trial and letting the law take its course would seem to be the best option. (unless of course she ends up being tried by Kurdish or other relevant authorities - if she's in their country and committed crimes there it's also up-to-them, ultimately).

I'm not keen on the death penalty on general principle and I see no reason to make an exception here. Objectively they are no worse than any number of (superficially at least) non-political criminals. When really young people do something so wicked and stupid it seems to say as much about the culture and sub-culture that produced them than it does about them.

I have no opinion on al-Awlaki because I missed that story. I'm not Noam Chomsky, I take my eye off the ball occasionally. Actually quite frequently. Killings in the course of international conflicts are, in fairness, hard-to-call. Especially as nobody ever formally declares war any more.

But I do remember Bill Clinton's administration bombing a pharmacutical factory, and NATO tagetting a TV station and other non-military targets in Serbia.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Once one of Isis’s most prominent online agitators who took to social media to call for the blood of Americans to be spilled, Hoda Muthana, 24, claims to have made a “big mistake”....

I'd call her an enemy combatant, but there's no indication she used violence. I don't know what laws apply, but she should be put on trial.

PS, I live near her hometown, I go to the mall there. (It recently made news for the police shooting). I could have walked passed her a decade ago.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
I did some stupid shit when I was a kid. Maybe not this stupid but ...

Me too, I was just thinking to myself earlier, you're a lucky son of a bitch you never went to prison for the stupid shit you did when you were younger. Joining ISIS was far from my stupid crazy thoughts even then so I say put her on trial with execution definitely an option.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

That didn't take long to call out Trump. Did the dossier paid for by the Dems from the Russians tell you that?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Let her come back and try her for treason. As an American citizen she has the right to that. I wouldn’t just let her back in and shrug it off though, she basically took up arms against the US so should be considered a terrorist.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Then Jane Fonda should have been charged and imprisoned 50 years ago...
Jane-Fonda-was-at-the-pea-012.jpg

FWIW, I'm fine with giving this woman life in prison with no chance of parole...but don't think the citizens of the US should be responsible for supporting her spawn.

Reactions: SlowSpyder

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Do you really need to be tried in a court? Such a waste of time for the large number of ISIS converts. It's not like it was a domestic crime.

But yeah, sure, whatever. Put them in prison - at the very least until they are 70+ years old.

EDIT: Honestly though, thinking about it now - I honestly think every one of them should get life in prison by default. You don't have to be the person that exploded the bombs to create and support them.

Why do you hate the Constitution so much? If you want to live in a monarchy without the real rule of law, you can always work as a contractor in Saudi Arabia. They pay good money there.

Reactions: DarthKyrie