U.S war college mulls removing portraits of Confederate Generals....

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Is this fair to alter history and so late?

U.S. Army May Remove Lee, ‘Stonewall’ Jackson Honors

The Washington Times reports that “the U.S. Army War College, which molds future field generals, has begun discussing whether it should remove its portraits of Confederate generals — including those of Robert E. Lee and Thomas ‘Stonewall’ Jackson.”

“Nestled in rural Pennsylvania on the 500-acre Carlisle Barracks, the war college is conducting an inventory of all its paintings and photographs with an eye for rehanging them in historical themes to tell a particular Army story.”

“During the inventory, an unidentified official — not the commandant, Maj. Gen. Anthony A. Cucolo III — asked the administration why the college honors two generals who fought against the United States, college spokeswoman Carol Kerr said.”

http://boeing.rollcall.com/topic-a/news/u-s-army-may-remove-lee-stonewall-jackson-honors/

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Utter nonsense. Removing Lee? Let's just ignore ability and history and stick to irrelevant drivel.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Well I'd be willing to bet that the Army War College doesn't honor British generals from the Revolutionary War. Confederate generals fought against the US, unless we honor someone like Rommel we shouldn't honor them.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Confederate generals fought against the US, unless we honor someone like Rommel we shouldn't honor them.
lincoln fought against the us too by jailing the fuck out of them and taxing the shit out of them and putting people at risk to preserve govt revenue.

and dont forget that lincoln technically fought against the united States (as in the people, not the u.s.g.) by even running because he was the most unpopular president up to the time he was president except for maybe JQ adams. it is interesting that the civil war and lincoln's election probably wouldnt have happened if the jacksonians' proposal of eliminating the electoral college had gone through because the Democrats were not only the party of hard money/civil liberties/constitutional confederalism (i.e., States' rights), they were also the party of the people.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If you're trying to inspire future officers maybe glorifying traitors isn't the best approach.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I have to say that glorifying people who committed treason in order to perpetuate race based human enslavement might not be the best idea.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Is this fair to alter history and so late?

Jackson served with the US forces in the war on Mexico.

But if you remove his portrait, what is next?

Should Andrew Jackson be removed as well? After all, he killed many Indians.

Should the pirate Jean Lafitte's successful defense of New Orleans be erased from the history books as well? After all, he was a pirate.

Once you start letting the self appointed Politically Correct rewrite history, you don't have history anymore...

Just my opinion...

Uno

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well I'd be willing to bet that the Army War College doesn't honor British generals from the Revolutionary War. Confederate generals fought against the US, unless we honor someone like Rommel we shouldn't honor them.

British generals were British, not American.

The US civil war was a war between Americans. Hence the name civil war. Lee was not imprisoned after the war. He remained an American. And he was a damn good general, one that the war college has certainly spent a long time studying.

A lot of Reconstruction had to do with reintegration of the South and southerners into society, not prosecution and persecution. Removing Lee and Jackson flows counter to that concept.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
British generals were British, not American.

The US civil war was a war between Americans. Hence the name civil war. Lee was not imprisoned after the war. He remained an American. And he was a damn good general, one that the war college has certainly spent a long time studying.

A lot of Reconstruction had to do with reintegration of the South and southerners into society, not prosecution and persecution. Removing Lee and Jackson flows counter to that concept.

Well Reconstruction is LONG over. And we don't need to encourage some idiotic Southerners who insist on glorifying people who fought against the US and in favor of slavery. Glorifying the Confederacy is not a good thing. And this is coming from someone born and raised in the city that burned.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Jackson served with the US forces in the war on Mexico.

But if you remove his portrait, what is next?

Should Andrew Jackson be removed as well? After all, he killed many Indians.

Should the pirate Jean Lafitte's successful defense of New Orleans be erased from the history books as well? After all, he was a pirate.

Once you start letting the self appointed Politically Correct rewrite history, you don't have history anymore...

Just my opinion...

Uno

You're right. We should have a sculpture of Benedict Arnold at West Point because he once fought for the US. We can't let the politically correct police keep traitors from being celebrated.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I have to say that glorifying people who committed treason in order to perpetuate race based human enslavement might not be the best idea.

And Obama is a communist bent on enslaving us all. It's nice to reduce complicated situations and people into parodies of themselves to demonize them.

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
Given that Jackson and Lee are still studied, I think it's disrespectful and asinine.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And Obama is a communist bent on enslaving us all. It's nice to reduce complicated situations and people into parodies of themselves to demonize them.

Lee and Jackson unarguably committed treason. They took up arms against the United States in defense of the Confederacy. The confederacy's reason for existing was primarily the perpetuation of race based slavery. These are facts.

If you have factual evidence to show that Obama is a communist or is attempting to enslave us, please provide it.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Lee and Jackson unarguably committed treason. They took up arms against the United States in defense of the Confederacy. The confederacy's reason for existing was primarily the perpetuation of race based slavery. These are facts.

If you have factual evidence to show that Obama is a communist or is attempting to enslave us, please provide it.

I needn't provide any more evidence of the untrue than you.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Don't you dare compare the Civil War to a foreign war.

This was Americans killing Americans. Part of reconciliation was the recognition that we were all still Americans. Would you defy that now, with such hatred 150 years later?

Your dishonor to our country is grave.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Why stop at Confederate generals? What about US generals and politicians who contributed to the massacre and genocide of Native Americans?

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Lee and Jackson unarguably committed treason. They took up arms against the United States in defense of the Confederacy. The confederacy's reason for existing was primarily the perpetuation of race based slavery. These are facts. If you have factual evidence to show that Obama is a communist or is attempting to enslave us, please provide it.
lincoln committed constitutional treason because he waged war against the united States.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well Reconstruction is LONG over. And we don't need to encourage some idiotic Southerners who insist on glorifying people who fought against the US and in favor of slavery. Glorifying the Confederacy is not a good thing. And this is coming from someone born and raised in the city that burned.

You realize this is a war college right? Not some public school nor a public building. They deal in training officers for our future wars. Both of these generals were rather good at what they did. They also were part of the United States Army before the war started and graduated from West Point.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You realize this is a war college right? Not some public school nor a public building. They deal in training officers for our future wars. Both of these generals were rather good at what they did. They also were part of the United States Army before the war started and graduated from West Point.

I don't think that anyone is saying that we shouldn't teach about them in the war college, but isn't it odd to commemorate former graduates that committed treason?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I don't think that anyone is saying that we shouldn't teach about them in the war college, but isn't it odd to commemorate former graduates that committed treason?

Were they convicted or even tried for treason? I think this line of thinking about the confederacy is rather childish imo. They fought for their right to break away from the Union. They lost. Get over it.

I think building a monument in a military park or hanging pictures in military circles as showing we are above being petty. While acknowledging these men were officers within the United States Army before the war and American citizens regardless of their willingness to fight for the confederacy.