U.S. troops begin training Syrian rebels to fight ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
I'd imagine that any Syrian rebels fighting ISIS and Asad that are still alive probably don't need any training.

They probably do need logistics, hardware, and manpower.

Probably all 4.

Many veteran fighters from the streets or bars would usually get their asses given to themselves on a silvered platter by fully trained martial artists.

The combination of experience and training however is very powerful especially when combined with good leadership and advanced equipment.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
www.cbsnews.com/news/us-troops-begin-training-syrian-rebels-to-fight-isis/

I am confident this will both be effective and will have no possibility of ever backfiring on us ever. :thumbsup:

There are essentially 3 paths we can take in this scenario:
-give logistical training and support to Syrian rebels to handle it themselves
-send in our forces (ground or air) and directly combat ISIS ourselves
-do nothing

Since, most would agree that the latter two options are universally rejected by anyone with a brain, the middle option becomes the lesser evil. Does it have a chance the Syrian's will eventually use this training against us? Sure. But, that has more to do with how we handle the aftermath of them removing ISIS.

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
This is such a clown fest- probably just for show. Arming'training "moderates" un Syria to fight ISIS is like arming the LA Chamber of Commerce to fight a corrupt mayor and the Bloods/Crips. Obama admin actions to "thwart" ISIS have helped them enormously. That's probably no accident either.............General Thomas McInerney acknowledged that the United States “helped build ISIS” as a result of the group obtaining weapons from the Benghazi consulate in Libya which was attacked by jihadists in September 2012. Asked what he thought of the idea of arming so-called “moderate” Syrian rebels after FSA militants kidnapped UN peacekeepers in the Golan Heights, McInerney said the policy had been a failure. “We backed I believe in some cases, some of the wrong people and not in the right part of the Free Syrian Army and that’s a little confusing to people, so I’ve always maintained….that we were backing the wrong types.” Then made reference to a Bret Baier Fox News special set to air on Friday which will, “show some of those weapons from Benghazi ended up in the hands of ISIS – so we helped build ISIS,” said In May last year, Senator Rand Paul was one of the first to speculate that the truth behind Benghazi was linked to an illicit arms smuggling program that saw weapons being trafficked to terrorists in Syria as part of the United States’ proxy war against the Assad regime. “I’ve actually always suspected that, although I have no evidence, that maybe we were facilitating arms leaving Libya going through Turkey into Syria,” Paul told CNN, adding that he “never….quite understood the cover-up — if it was intentional or incompetence”.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
This is such a clown fest- probably just for show. Arming'training "moderates" un Syria to fight ISIS is like arming the LA Chamber of Commerce to fight a corrupt mayor and the Bloods/Crips. Obama admin actions to "thwart" ISIS have helped them enormously. That's probably no accident either.............General Thomas McInerney acknowledged that the United States “helped build ISIS” as a result of the group obtaining weapons from the Benghazi consulate in Libya which was attacked by jihadists in September 2012. Asked what he thought of the idea of arming so-called “moderate” Syrian rebels after FSA militants kidnapped UN peacekeepers in the Golan Heights, McInerney said the policy had been a failure. “We backed I believe in some cases, some of the wrong people and not in the right part of the Free Syrian Army and that’s a little confusing to people, so I’ve always maintained….that we were backing the wrong types.” Then made reference to a Bret Baier Fox News special set to air on Friday which will, “show some of those weapons from Benghazi ended up in the hands of ISIS – so we helped build ISIS,” said In May last year, Senator Rand Paul was one of the first to speculate that the truth behind Benghazi was linked to an illicit arms smuggling program that saw weapons being trafficked to terrorists in Syria as part of the United States’ proxy war against the Assad regime. “I’ve actually always suspected that, although I have no evidence, that maybe we were facilitating arms leaving Libya going through Turkey into Syria,” Paul told CNN, adding that he “never….quite understood the cover-up — if it was intentional or incompetence”.
Mayonnaise with sriracha is much better than just mayonnaise or sriracha alone.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
There are essentially 3 paths we can take in this scenario:
-give logistical training and support to Syrian rebels to handle it themselves
-send in our forces (ground or air) and directly combat ISIS ourselves
-do nothing

- Assist Assad in restoring peace and stability.
With bonus points for doing what China and Russia want.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
The most pragmatic outcome is the division of Syria into several different countries. The current Assad government would turn into the Alawite state covering the West of the Syrian territory. The Kurdish regions would get their own independence. And the Sunni areas covering most of the East of Syrian territory would get their own country also. Other countries are also possible including the Druze, Levantines, and other possible ethnicities and religions.

Status
Not open for further replies.