U.S. Trade Deficit Widest Since 2008

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
"The U.S. trade deficit jumped 18.9% in July owing to a big snapback in imports, the government said Thursday. The trade gap increased to $63.6 billion from $53.5 billion in the prior month - above the $58.9 billion MarketWatch forecast. Imports shot up 10.9% while exports advanced 8.1%. "

so the best deal maker in the world, who promised to create American manufacturing jobs and lower the trade gap has successfully made it worse than it was under all 8 years of Obama. blame it on his trade wars or his failed response to the Coronavirus, doesn't really matter, still lands squarely in his lap. i'd love to hear his sycophants excuses on this one.

Last edited:

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
But Trump's tariffs fixed all that. Never mind that the US is giving billions to farmers who've lost almost everything because they lost their best customer. The US has collected ~$63 billion in tariffs over the last 12 moths. The US taxpayer ends up footing the bill. I'm not really sure why the President is allowed to make these decisions as it is basically a form of taxation without representation. Any and all monetary matters should go through Congress. I wonder if the farmers that supported Trump in 2016 will still vote for him. Probably will, since now that get money for doing nothing. Meanwhile Trump wants to take away money to support poverty stricken families who can barely afford to put food on the table.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
But Trump's tariffs fixed all that. Never mind that the US is giving billions to farmers who've lost almost everything because they lost their best customer. The US has collected ~$63 billion in tariffs over the last 12 moths. The US taxpayer ends up footing the bill. I'm not really sure why the President is allowed to make these decisions as it is basically a form of taxation without representation. Any and all monetary matters should go through Congress. I wonder if the farmers that supported Trump in 2016 will still vote for him. Probably will, since now that get money for doing nothing. Meanwhile Trump wants to take away money to support poverty stricken families who can barely afford to put food on the table.

yup, and it is important to note that those "~$63 billion in tariffs over the last 12 moths" were paid by importers and not China.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
yup, and it is important to note that those "~$63 billion in tariffs over the last 12 moths" were paid by importers and not China.
Well I mean China basically laughed in his face, as was entirely predictable.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Remember when Trump was going on and on about how terrible these trade deficits are? Well actually they aren't, but the fact is he claimed they were terrible and that he'd fix it. Just another turd to add to Trump's Everest sized pile of bullshit.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Trump supporters never cared about this, but Trump easily convinced them that they should be mad as hell about it because they are mindless sheep. Now he obviously won’t be bringing it up anymore, so of course they again don’t care because they have the attention span and memory capacity of fruit flies.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Invariably my local Trumpists say "At least he tried!".

They are too invested tribally to admit he's a big incompetent lying sack of shit even when presented with irrefutable evidence of it.
Also, his ‘trying’ made things worse. Now every country in the world knows we can’t be trusted to uphold our agreements.

As I’ve said before, this is why it was always obvious that Trump would fail in his trade war with China - he’s not able to make credible commitments. Because China couldn’t trust him to keep his word there was no point in making significant concessions even if they wanted to.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Also, his ‘trying’ made things worse. Now every country in the world knows we can’t be trusted to uphold our agreements.

As I’ve said before, this is why it was always obvious that Trump would fail in his trade war with China - he’s not able to make credible commitments. Because China couldn’t trust him to keep his word there was no point in making significant concessions even if they wanted to.

The ink isn't dry on the NAFTA retread and he's trying to fuck over the Canadians on aluminum.

We are not a serious country and nobody should treat us like one. It would be foolish to do so. We deserve to be disbelieved, ridiculed, and then made to put up some sort of collateral that can't be clawed back if we expect to deal with other countries in the future.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
but.. but.. but.. the tariffs, must punish China with tariffs.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The ink isn't dry on the NAFTA retread and he's trying to fuck over the Canadians on aluminum.

We are not a serious country and nobody should treat us like one. It would be foolish to do so. We deserve to be disbelieved, ridiculed, and then made to put up some sort of collateral that can't be clawed back if we expect to deal with other countries in the future.
Yes, that's what's going to happen for years to come - every deal we make is going to have tons of out clauses, snapback features, etc. because nobody will believe we will keep our word. It's going to cost the US a ton of money in both concessions and economic inefficiencies.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
so much winning, but you guys are right, his base doesn't care how much he screws it up.

I know that we as computer enthusiasts got hit hard because of his trade war. Power supplies anyone?
And it is just ONE example

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
"The U.S. trade deficit jumped 18.9% in July owing to a big snapback in imports, the government said Thursday. The trade gap increased to $63.6 billion from $53.5 billion in the prior month - above the $58.9 billion MarketWatch forecast. Imports shot up 10.9% while exports advanced 8.1%. "

so the best deal maker in the world, who promised to create American manufacturing jobs and lower the trade gap has successfully made it worse than it was under all 8 years of Obama. blame it on his trade wars or his failed response to the Coronavirus, doesn't really matter, still lands squarely in his lap. i'd love to hear his sycophants excuses on this one.
Who would have guessed shutting down business for months would have a negative impact on production?

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Who would have guessed shutting down business for months would have a negative impact on production?

it's a GLOBAL pandemic, which means it affects every single nation.

like i said... "blame it on his trade wars or his failed response to the Coronavirus, doesn't really matter, "

and now your dumbass goes back on ignore.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

brandon takes a swing at it

kgGzPfa.gif

• Haha
Reactions: nickqt and hal2kilo