U.S. to train and equip Lebanese army

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
The United States plans to help train and equip the Lebanese army so it can take control of all of the nation?s territory when warfare between Israel and Hezbollah eases

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: johnjohn320
Text

Am I missing something? Why are we doing this? I see no logic...

So the lebanese army can take control of the hezbollah controlled areas properly?

whistleclient

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2001

1) to show the arab world we don't back just Israel

2) to help the Labanese army take control of the Hezbollah controlled areas, hence helping to strengthen the fragile Lebanese democracy which will need to solve problems diplomatically rather than through terrorist means.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Why don't we just let them kill each other and stay the fvck out of it?

Because all of the chickens are too doped up on hormones to make for good cock fights and the Lebanese seem quite enamored at the oppertunity shoot crap at the people who are shooting crap at them...

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
So US can get rich selling weapons to both sides of the war. Typical.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: tangent1138
to help the Labanese army take control of the Hezbollah controlled areas, hence helping to strengthen the fragile Lebanese democracy which will need to solve problems diplomatically rather than through terrorist means.

Problem is that the country's infrastructure is beyond fractured. It is completely gone, so sustaining a local military force in such a landscape is jsut asking for trouble....

*remembers the horror sories abotu how Iraq police are abducting and raping young women in jails and keeping them there for whe nthe get the 'urge' :(*

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Baked

seriously. we are so fvking evil sometimes....

well, actually, most of the time :eek:

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

seriously. we are so fvking evil sometimes....

well, actually, most of the time :eek:

We got to pay off that debt somehow ;).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

We have a WINNAR!!

The massive military industrial machine (same one that Eisenhower warned us about) needs to make MORE money...

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
This cant be good, every time we get involved with a nation, it comes back to bit us in the arse.

afghanistan We give them weapons to fight off soviets, 15 years later, why are we getting hit by those weapons? we had a deal man!
Iraq, back in ith late 1980s we and britain trained Saddams flyboys and were good friends with Mr. Hussein
Phillipines Whats up with the protests?
S. Korea Dont many of them hate us?
S. Vietnam, yeah that country aint doing too well these days
Cuba, nuff said
Somalia
Many central/south american countries

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Geee, guys this is a tough one....

Let's see, 1) A strong, stable democratic Lebanon as a buffer between Israel and Syria capable of keeping terrorist militias at bay, or 2) A weak incapable Lebanon ready to slip back to the Syrians or some radical Islamic tyrant as ruler....

I'm gonna go with option 1.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Israel is not fighiting Lebanon, it's fighting Hezbollah, which very conveniently based its operations in Lebanon, which effectively has a pathetic army.

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999

Only if your only source of information is the mainstream media.

A few years ago some Korean group contacted all the Korean War vets in the area (this was in Kansas City) through the vets associations and put on a big dinner with a traditional Korean dance troop performing and whatnot. They had a ceremony honoring the vets and gave each one a medal, including my father who served in the USMC and fought in Korea. So, they obviously don't all hate us.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
Originally posted by: John P.

Only if your only source of information is the mainstream media.

A few years ago some Korean group contacted all the Korean War vets in the area (this was in Kansas City) through the vets associations and put on a big dinner with a traditional Korean dance troop performing and whatnot. They had a ceromony honoring the vets and gave each one a medal, including my father who served in the USMC and fought in Korea. So, they obviously don't all hate us.

it's mostly the young tards that don't realize how f'ed they would be if N korea ruled them.
oh yeah, and it's cool to hate the US too. :)

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: johnjohn320
Text

Am I missing something? Why are we doing this? I see no logic...

Because our bunker buster bombs tore their civilian population to shreds and they need to help protect their country in the future?

amdforever2

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2002
Well, sure you could go by the official line.

HOW ABOUT THIS THOUGH!

By arming Israel to the teeth, and training Lebanon, we can ensure continued chaos in the region! Israel CRUSHING Hezbollah is only a few weeks of chaos, to really get the oil prices up we need YEARS of war!

Besides, by making sure that war and poverty continue here, we never have to worry about muslims attacking us again!

**the above is not what I believe. Only the conspiracy theory I envision people putting forward as the true reason.