U.S. to ban use of Kaspersky software in federal agencies amid concerns of Russian espionage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Why is that?

It's kind of pointless to be reliant on enterprises to roll out signature patches on timely basis, and even worse to rely on end users. If you assume computers are always connected at all times now, you'll always have up to date protection in the cloud, for better protection against 0-day attacks. Even DNS spoofing and DDoS protection is going cloud-based (as long as your ISP supports it.)

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I've love to see a list of government agencies using the software and an essay by each person who selected the software explaining why they thought it was a good decision.

typical government bullshit. the job i just left did business with DHS and every month we had to send them the results of a vulnerabilities nessus scan then a week later sit through a bitch session on why there were vulnerabilities showing up in the report.... well because the risk were brand new and no patches were put out by MS or available in YUM yet. god i got tired of that shit and is one of the reasons why I quit. dont even get me started about sending them encrypted PII but they sent us unencrypted PII every fucking day.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Kaspersky just got the boot from my system and has been replaced my Norton complete security deluxe 2017.

LoL. I have been "unprotected" since the last 90s and never had an infection. Anti-virus software is much more like a virus than anything else. It absolutely guts system performance.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I always quietly wondered about Kaspersky's Russian origins back when their software was getting "best in class" reviews in the mainstream PC press, so I stayed away. So I, perhaps lazily and cheaply, just used AVG. These days I do 95% of my 'puting on chromebooks.

But, yeah, bottom line, if you're connected to the net your privacy is almost assuredly compromised anyway. That's why I just bent over and went back to Google search and left Duck Duck Go behind, and accepted my fate as Google's bitch. God knows what they mine from me, their personal privacy settings set to max or not, anyway.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
It's kind of pointless to be reliant on enterprises to roll out signature patches on timely basis, and even worse to rely on end users. If you assume computers are always connected at all times now, you'll always have up to date protection in the cloud, for better protection against 0-day attacks. Even DNS spoofing and DDoS protection is going cloud-based (as long as your ISP supports it.)

Thanks - very interesting! I'll have to check Sophos when my current Kasp. license expires (or maybe sooner).

Reactions: Pick2

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Posting my AV of choice here would be counterproductive towards the very nature and goal of avs... But it sure isnt never have been kaspersky... alarm clocks going off everywhere just thinking about it.